Amazon Echo

I’m confused. “Kindle Fire” and “Fire TV” are two different lines of devices. Which are you actually using? If one of the “Fire TV” devices (the only ones that actually includes AVS access right now, AFAIK), how exactly are you using that in your car?

Yes…I know…“Kindle” shouldn’t be in that sentence anywhere. :wink: Amazon Fire TV v2, the box not the stick. I Velcroed the remote so I could push the button easily while my arms on the arm rest.

OK, that makes more sense. Thanks. That’s a very creative approach to the problem (one that I’ve been trying to address myself, so thanks for posting about it). I don’t know that a $99 streaming media player box and its remote control are quite the solution I’m looking for though. I wonder why Amazon isn’t offering a phone app tied to your account and that provides access to AVS. I’d even be willing to pay a small (say, $5 or less/month) subscription fee for something like that.

Anyone notice that the Alexa app (android) now contains two devices under help.
-Alexa
-Echo

And if you tap Alexa it says “Coming Soon”

I think may have something to do with Amazon Fox.
http://www.technobuffalo.com/2016/01/11/new-portable-amazon-echo-dubbed-fox-said-to-launch-in-coming-weeks/

MEH, If I have to press a button I might as well use my phone. If thats true then Amazon is missing the mark here.

4 Likes

Totally agree, another option use the remote. I ordered my two echo’s when they included remotes so I have the remotes in other rooms so I can still command Alexa from the other room. But more often than not I just shout so the echo hears me in the next room because I don’t want to pick up the remote and press the button. :smile:

1 Like

My guess is it is geared towards those that want a device like this but don’t like the “always listening” part of it. Those that feel more secure having to press a button may like this although I agree you can just use your phone at that point. This will likely also be able to be used as a portable internet connected speaker still so that will have value to some people.

Actually I can see this being useful for parents. My colleague really liked the echo for his kids to ask spelling, match etc but didn’t like the price. He may not care if his kids have to press a button and being able to carry it around is cooler for them. So I think it does have a place in the market.

anyone in Australia got an Echo working? if so how did you order it and set it up? :slight_smile: :slightly_smiling:

Have you figured out what “does not support hearbeat” means? I see it popping up again…

Just asked Alexa to turn off a light and instead of the usual “OK” there was a conformation tone.
When did this change?
Not sure which I like better.

This is just a leftover log printout that will be removed in the next update.

1 Like

C[quote=“TEWphotography, post:924, topic:6642, full:true”]
Just asked Alexa to turn off a light and instead of the usual “OK” there was a conformation tone.
When did this change?
Not sure which I like better.
[/quote]

Amazon changed it this week.

1 Like

How about the connected home screen on the Alexa app being blank?

The app updated last night and now Alexa is basically a streaming doorbell.

Send feedback to Amazon via the app and tell them to make the feedback an option

1 Like

yep I complained to them… I liked the ok better… interestingly enough they didn’t change it everyone… if on first try it cannot find the device and you repeat it… it still says ok :slight_smile:

Am I the first to call you Nostradamus? “Perhaps Amazon should come up smaller units of Echo (compact version) …preferably costing around $99”

1 Like

You sure are. I think it was pretty clear that Amazon would come up with a $89-$99 range Echo Product. It is clear that they are not so much into selling a speaker, but the more into selling the services that can come with the product - Ex: Amazon prime, Music, Ordering etc… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

One of the interesting things about voice software is that most people are much more forgiving of a conversational voice. If a command is not executed, Psychologically the thought is just “she didn’t hear me that time” and they will repeat themselves. Many people also under estimate the number of times they have to repeat themselves for a conversational UI as long as it’s not every single time. This is true for both Siri and hey Google, for example. So I assume all of this is also true for Echo.

My guess is that losing the “OK” but adding the Chime Took echo out of the conversational group and turned it back into a machine, psychologically, for quite a few people. You don’t even realize this happens until it changes.

I do agree it would be nice to have it as an option either way. :sunglasses:

1 Like

My response to that is “beep.”

2 Likes