Amazon Echo

I want to know if smartthings hub can control hue bulb directly ,thanks a lot.

It can, and some community members do set it up that way, but smartthings officially only recommends using the hue bridge because there is a problem where once you have connected a hue bulb directly to the SmartThings hub you may not be able to reset it again unless you buy yet another device. This is because the SmartThings hub uses the ZHA profile and the hue bridge uses the ZLL profile, and once you’ve connected the bulb to the hub you won’t necessarily be able to switch back.

Also, you will need a custom device type handler to use a hue bulb which is connected directly to the smart things hub but there are some available in the community.

https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/200848024-How-to-connect-Philips-Hue-devices

Thanks for your so quick and professinal answer.

I am a fresman in the community. and I have slold hue copatiable bulb online. Actually ,my bulb can copatiable philipse hue bridge very well and sold a lot.

Now I want to know if my bulb can compatiable to smartthings ,I am interest in it . but now ,I have not smarts hub beside ,that is why I want to answer the question.

Thanks a lot.

William From China.

Does anyone know if there is a Device Handler that can be installed in the IDE that allows the Amazon Echo to be treated as a SmartThings TTS capable speaker?

It seems like a reasonable concept to use the Amazon Echo as a Sonos connected SmartThings device.

The long answer is no. Can’t be done.

1 Like

It can’t be done just with a device type handler because at the present time Alexa devices do not support TTS themselves. There was a news article this week that that feature may be coming in the future, but it’s not here yet.

There are community members using other devices to create TTS files and then just use echo as a Bluetooth speaker to play them. Lots of discussion of this in the forums. Here’s one recent one:

4 Likes

So at one time I saw on the app that echo was supported and now I don’t see it and only see google home. Is echo able to be connected?

Connect through the Alexa app

1 Like

Alexa’s new native color controls will work with Lifx, TP-Link and Philips Hue smart bulbs.

2 Likes

I’ve tested it out. Works great.

Alexa, make the lights blue.

3 Likes

Has anybody seen a list of supported color names?

“Tuscan Cranberry” didn’t work

1 Like

Not sure whether they are the same as SmartThings colors, but here’s the ST list that works with Hue.

soft white
warm white
daylight white
cool white
white
alice blue
antique white
aqua
aquamarine
azure
beige
bisque
blanched almond
blue
blue violet
brown
burly wood
cadet blue
chartreuse
chocolate
coral
corn flower blue
corn silk
crimson
cyan
dark blue
dark cyan
dark golden rod
dark gray
dark green
dark khaki
dark magenta
dark olive green
dark orange
dark orchid
dark red
dark salmon
dark sea green
dark slate blue
dark slate gray
dark turquoise
dark violet
deep pink
deep sky blue
dim gray
dodger blue
fire brick
floral white
forest green
fuchsia
gainsboro
ghost white
gold
golden rod
gray
green
green yellow
honeydew
hot pink
indian red
indigo
ivory
khaki
lavender
lavender blush
lawn green
lemon chiffon
light blue
light coral
light cyan
light golden rod yellow
light gray
light green
light pink
light salmon
light sea green
light sky blue
light slate gray
light steel blue
light yellow
lime
lime green
linen
maroon
medium aquamarine
medium blue
medium orchid
medium purple
medium sea green
medium slate blue
medium spring green
medium turquoise
medium violet red
midnight blue
mint cream
misty rose
moccasin
navajo white
navy
old lace
olive
olive drab
orange
orange red
orchid
pale golden rod
pale green
pale turquoise
pale violet red
papaya whip
peach puff
peru
pink
plum
powder blue
purple
red
rosy brown
royal blue
saddle brown
salmon
sandy brown
sea green
sea shell
sienna
silver
sky blue
slate blue
slate gray
snow
spring green
steel blue
tan
teal
thistle
tomato
turquoise
violet
wheat
white smoke
yellow
yellow green

3 Likes

I’m trying to creat device names that I can easily identify using tags but that can also be heard and understood by alexa. I’m wondering if there is a way to have alexa ignore part of a name. I’ve tried brackets, braces, and parentheses but they don’t seem to work.

For example, I want to label the landing night light “landing night light (TCU1 1)” meaing type c (dimmer), upstairs room 1 device 1 but alexa will not respond to just landing night light.

Does anyone know a way to have her ignore part of a device name?

Alexa should try to match what it can… so just saying “Landing Light” it may say “I found multiple devices matching that name” and then you tell it the specific one… but that leads me to believe that it already searches for partial names.

One trick you can do with Alexa, though, is put devices in Alexa groups and use those group names for the voice access. Maybe there’s only one device in that group, but it doesn’t care. Like I have a moveable switch (the kind that plugs into any outlet and is controllable) with a specific name in Smart Things but while we had the Christmas tree plugged into it, I made an Alexa group called “tree” and put that switch into it. SmartThings doesn’t know what “tree” is but Alexa does at that point.

1 Like

I have found that using regular common names is the best approach for Alexa. I have 119 Switches and/or Buttons that Alexa operates and all of them uses common, easy to pronounce names. The ones that she struggles with or gets wrong sometimes, I use the group function to better assist.

Example:
Kitchen PC Sometimes she gets it or sometimes she says, Sorry, there is no Kitchen P C…
Create a Group and name it Kitchen P C and put the Kitchen PC switch in it.

This way she will respond to Kitchen PC or Kitchen P C…

I also do this to name the same devices different names for different family members. I might say Den, Wife might say Family Room, kids might say TV Room.

Common Names that describes exactly what and where:
Downstairs Hallway Light
Upstairs Bathroom Fan
Study Room Automation
Dayroom Window Outlet
Kitchen Can Lights

Amazon says iCloud Calendar support is live now in three regions: the US, UK, and Germany

Amazon Echo will now do notifications.

2 Likes

Still goes to every device… Great for those with one or two devices, but if every family member has one… It’s pointless

1 Like