Alternative to Smartthings that doesn't need Internet? (Wife is temporarily confined to bed)

I have the original hub… so does the V2 hub handle things better? That might be my solution right there. I don’t have to have voice control when my internet is down but if my wife can turn lights on/off, etc with the app connected to my wifi network, that’d be Good Enough.

Thanks for the info; this brings up some interesting thoughts for a friend of mine - I’m going to ruminate a little on what you’ve written; I might be bugging you with some questions!

1 Like

For us, the voice control is a convenience, it’s not a necessity.

1 Like

First - migrating to the ST v2 hub would require a complete rebuild of your Home Automation platform. There is no easy migration tool. The v2 hub brings ‘some’ local processing, mostly for Smart Lighting rules. However, unless all of the devices used in a Smart Lighting rule are running locally, the rule will run in the cloud.

Second - the ST Mobile Phone application always requires an internet connection, even if you are at home on the same LAN as the hub.

3 Likes

One can use Aeon Labs Minimotes (or similar button controllers) connected to V2 hub; they run when the internet is down, and they are cheaper, lighter and smaller than a phone. :smile:

4 Likes

You can also program them to do a lot of things… Lights, fans, switches, whatever is available in smart lighting…

And it runs local (no internet required)

This is an important limitation, although I believe it’s technically device handler, not device that determines whether the automation runs locally?

They’ve been adding local processing for device handlers in recent v2 hub firmware updates (or maybe beta updates), but still, there are a lot of devices out there that can’t run locally.

I have a v1 hub that was actually pretty reliable most of the time, despite its 100% cloud dependence, but I experienced the major platform meltdowns over the last few years too.

I’ve moved almost everything over to hubitat as well and I’m pretty satisfied. As JD pointed out though, it’s still in development, so that may be a legitimate concern for some. Although sometimes it feels like SmartThings has been in an extended public beta for several years.

3 Likes

It does limit it somewhat, but if you use only the stock device handlers then there is a huge amount you can run local. I set my system up and had over 90% of my automations running local. Works like a champ!

3 Likes

You need to mention a budget to get serious recommendations.

Most will throw out Hubitat as it’s a local consumer system. Vera Plus is another consumer offering that is 90% local. It’s a good system for a small setup. If you want to go professional then we’re talking money and enter into the realm of HomeSeer, Control4, Creston, Allonis, CQC.

3 Likes

Agreed… although Aeon has stopped producing Minimotes.

There are other options for ST that probably run locally, however you are limited to Smart Lighting for all of your automations.

With Hubitat, everything Zigbee and Z-Wave runs locally, as do all of the automations. :slight_smile: Even my custom ST_Anything devices all run locally.

2 Likes

Lights are basically what matters for local processing and those don’t require much more complex automations than what Smart Lighting offers. I care less for my thermostat to change the temperature instantly, but I do care if I cannot change the temperature from my work, or see/adjust my home, even if my internet is down. Local processing cannot help me there, but a cellular backup can. There are plenty of dual WAN routers out there. I picked one so I can access my home remotely, from afar, even if my internet is down.

You need to take into account what is triggering that lighting… Are the motion/door/light sensors running local as well? If not there’s delay.

Also a note from experience for the best motion based lighting use ZigBee motion sensors. They have a MUCH faster response/reset time than 99% of the z-wave motion sensors.

1 Like

With more than 100 devices here, all my sensors are running local. And with Hue now running local also, my switches and dimmers are all local too. You can change the handler in ide to make virtually any device local. And the local delay between zigbee and zwave is barely noticeable.

1 Like

If your main concern is the lights being manually turned on and off, get a Phillips hue “Bridege” hub. If the internet is down or just the st cloud, you can still control the Phillips bulbs from your phone while you’re on the network.

2 Likes

cough bridge cough

2 Likes

Ha@ fixed it!

You typo’ed it :smile:

1 Like

Hey, if you know me… I don’t believe in spell check!

1 Like

I’ve tried them but my version of English isn’t found :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well, I think I’ve found my answer(s) - A minimote would solve the immediate problem when the internet goes down, but it honestly doesn’t seem like the Smartthings cloud infrastructure has improved much since I first purchased my first kit is early 2014 so I’m going to look at Hubitat.

I have 2 wall switches, and an outlet switch, but everything else is lights. I’m really thinking that switching the lights to Phillips Hue to be able to control them locally (I’ve been eyeing Hue and looking for an excuse :wink: ) if my internet goes down, otherwise I can use Alexa, the two switches are operated manually about 90% of the time anyway…

1 Like