Alarm.com and Smart Things

Its the Fortez MimoLite. I wired a Viewsonic Zigbee contact sensor to the NO contacts (soldered a wire across the relay similar to what folks are doing for doorbell or other hacks).
Used a single power supply to power both relays (they don’t need much power). Thinking of also adding a power hack to the zigbee sensors so i don’t have to ever touch the units. (buying a 12V to 3V DC converter and power these from the same 12V relay power supply)

Added 3 rules in alarm.com

1. to turn on Relay 1 when Armed Away,
  2. to Turn on Relay 2 when Armed Stay
  3. Turn Relays off when Disarmed

Added rules in ST to monitor the contact sensors and build the ST rules based on their status (contact sensor 1 - closed - set ST to Away, contact sensor 2 - closed - set ST to Night, contact sensor 1 & 2 - open - set Home…)

Only one issue so far, is if the power goes, the relays will reset their status, which could throw ST off… i will be adding a UPS to the relays and my ST hub soon.

1 Like

This is a pretty cool solution. Checking Amazon, It looks like ~$150 solution ($50 Relay + 100 for 2 Zigbee sensors). Does that sound about right? Any cheaper way of doing this?

Also - Can you send a picture or a link of the soldering hack?

Thx!

I used this thread as inspiration for my hack

My total outlay was $80 (bought 2 relays off a community member) and the Visonic’s are $10 each when they go on sale…
Wish i had done the hack much earlier as we sometimes would wait 15-30 min for the IFTTT trigger. this is within a second… No one is walking into a home with the ST hub going into panic mode and turning random lights and speakers at full blast :wink:

Hate to ask but i’m not quite understanding how physically the relays and door sensors are connected. So you have 2 relays? You can just have them turn on and not bet connected to anything? What do you need the door sensors for?

Would you by chance have a picture you can share?

Here’s a writeup on the door/window sensor

I wired these wires to the Normally open contact on the mimolite (3 wire block NO contacts). Mimolite P5 jumper was also set on before paring to the network (to keep contact engaged when relay turns on)

Transformer was connected to power block. Sorry i placed the relays on top of the kitchen cabinet so no one can touch them. If i get a chance, i will get a ladder to pull the unit down and take pictures

So the only wires being used on Mimolite are Power and NO contacts

Hope this helps you get started.

Any ideas when it arms stay, it’s not silent? I have “Use Silent Arming” enable but it ignores this setting. It just arms without Silent where the constant 30 beeping is a bit annoying.

Any thoughts?

The alarm.com and SmartThings integration presented here has been working great for me and I am so thankful to this community for that! It’s awesome to disarm my security, alarm, unlock my doors and switch on lights with one button on SmartThings widget!
Lately I have been reading about the ring alarm, and compared to the alarm.com that I have, I think ring beats it in everything including the annual price for monitoring! I would switch tomorrow but the only thing that’s giving me pause is how lovey my current alarm.com and SmartThings setup is. So my question is anyone here had alarm.com and moved to ring? I see there are some people in this community who have already started working on ways to integrate it, much like the good people in this thread! So if you have moved to ring alarm and have been able to setup a similar integration with your SmartThings, please do let me know “. Thanks so much

Does anyone know if this still works or is deprecated? I have it installed but it is not really doing anything automated. When I try to arm stay or away using the new switches it never actually does anything with the alarm. If the alarm is armed elsewhere, I have to manually open the switch and refresh to be able to see the current armed status. Having to manually refresh things kinda defeats the purpose of adding it to smartthings. I am wanting to automate things when the armed away status is on. I know it is connecting successfully to my account because i get txt notifications every time it successfully logs into my to my alarm.com account and when i manually refresh it is able to show the current armed status.

1 Like

It still works great for me. I have it alarm-away when I leave and alarm-disarm when I arrive. Maybe take a look at the settings in the smart app? I forget what config is needed in the SmartThings IDE settings

This is brilliant - I’m looking forward to trying this! I’ve been using the OP integration and it was fantastic until the alarm.com change - it still works 95% of the time but that other 5% really jolts everyone in our home when it happens. Really clever hack to use a paired sensor on the alarm side linked through relays to sensors paired on the ST side!

Are you able to do the reverse? So rather than use the arming/disarming of the panel as the trigger you use the state change of the ST sensor side as the trigger for arming/disarming the panel? In other words, rules like:

1. When Relay 1 is turned on, Arm Away the panel,
  2. When Relay 2 is turned on, Arm Stay the panel
  3. When Relays are both off, Disarm the panel

I have not seen any rules in alarm.com that would turn a panel on based on contact sensor status. Disarm requires a code

Since it’s a monitored panel, we prefer that to be the master

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. That’s a shame - I can appreciate wanting to have it the way you’ve done it for security. For us the biggest issue is forgetting to arm or disarm so tying those events to the SmartThings state (with geo fencing and sleep event) is hugely helpful for us. Unfortunately the alarm.com change a while back changed the accuracy of this app from 100% reliable to 95% and that last 5% is a big deal when you’re dealing with a security system. I’m getting tired of alarm.com not keeping up with the times and opening up their system a bit more…

you may be able to achieve a tighter integration with a DSC panel and direct connect board or hardwire an alarm keypad to simulate arm/disarm if possible (may require a code as well…)

I have a 2Gig panel and they are pretty locked down

Great points thank you @BatraD! I’m looking into the NetworX boxes which use interlogix wireless signals like alarm.com and my Qualsys box. Unlike alarm.com, the NetworX box allows other things to get tied in and i may even be able to use a repeater to get sensors upstairs and at the other end of the house which would be nice. Also thinking this may be able to be linked in the ring retrofit kit that was just announced as another avenue for integrations.

Did you get it working,? I have the same issue, no error in IDE log, successful login on alarm.com log

So I’ve been riding this train for a while, but admittedly not paying much attention to the thread. Something I’ve noticed but ignored for a while is that when I arm my panel manually on the wall, a short while later, sometimes up to 3 hours later, my panel says “please disarm”. I know this to mean thats it’s already armed and it’s received a request to arm again. I immediately check ST and I see that it says that its run on of my related automations because “Arm stay” was turned on.
To my knowledge, schwarks app couldn’t poll the status of the alarm…has that changed?
I have an automation in place to turn on arm stay again but only triggered after receiving a ST command to arm and within a minute of that first command. This is my way impersonating the double press on my Simon xt, to arm in stay with No Entry Delay. I have none that automatically runs the first command.

I’ve loaded schwark’s code and have the switches in ST. Toggling the switches appears to do nothing. I can see from the history that ST is successfully logging into alarm.com. Looking at live logs, I see this message:
10:07:42 PM: error something went wrong: java.net.URISyntaxException: Illegal character in path at index 50: https://www.alarm.com/web/api/devices/partitions/$${dataunit}$${extension}/armStay

(Note: there is actually a single dollar sign in the error message, but this either shows zero or two when I paste it :-))

This is the same for armAway.

Has anyone seen this and figured it out?

I was running into the same issues…ST would seem like command was sent and switch would toggle, FrontPoint would report a successful login but the commands would never trigger (ArmAway/ArmStay/Disarm).

I found this was due to the panelid not being retrieved any longer based on the way the STEPS were defined in getRecipe function. Once I updated the login steps, added back in the commented out userid and panel extract steps, changed them to execute synchronously and only then executed the required command, was I able to get them to execute consistently every time!!

Hope this helps someone else and thanks to @schwark and the community for this app! One of my favorites in terms of convenience!

3 Likes

You, my friend, ROCK!

Well done… works perfectly.

1 Like