Alarm.com and Smart Things

I went the hardwired route. Bought two mimo lite relays (I guess I could have bought the mimo2 instead). Hooked the relay output of the one to the signal input of the other. Then I paired the first with my 2GIG panel and the second with my SmartThings Hub.

Added three rules on the alarm.com side:
On arm away --> turn relay on
On arm stay --> turn relay on
On disarm --> turn relay off

That relay as mentioned then in turns via hardwire, triggers conditions on the second relay that is paired with ST and its state changes instantaneously so I can hook events to it on the ST side --> Basically, I have a ‘2GIG Armed’ physical switch that is updated in real-time

Works like a charm to trigger SmartThings awareness of arm/disarm via the ‘2GIG Armed’ physical switch.

I then have several things happen on the ST side on ‘Arm’ event vs. ‘Disarmed’ event. These trigger immediately irrespective of me arming via the panel or via the alarm.com app or web site.

To further apply more granular rules, I have a webcore piston monitoring the state of the relay and then refresh the Arm Stay / Arm Away and Disarm virtual switch states. That allows the piston to execute more specific routines unique for each scenario

While all of this can be accomplished in software only, the hardware relay to relay link lets me rely on certain actions that must occur in sync with the alarm state irrespective of the more granular behavior.

Sounds complex but really isn’t - the two relays linked to each other is an easy wiring exercise and achieves 90% of most use cases with a very high reliability factor.

Happy to share designs and pictures if of interest to this group.

2 Likes