Aeon Labs ZW095-A - Z-Wave Plus - Home Energy Meter Gen 5

I install the DH from classicgod (from here: https://github.com/ClassicGOD/SmartThingsPublic/blob/master/devicetypes/classicgod/aeotec-hem-gen5.src/aeotec-hem-gen5.groovy)
I was able to pair the gen5. After that it goes silent? Not sure what to do. It seems to have paired secure (98 in cc section). Just no more communication. I installed both the gen5 and the child handler. That’s all I need to do, right ? I also have 2 gen1 devices on my network, they work fine (different handler).

It has been a while since I set mine up. After getting it to include securely I recall having to setup the report groups (what gets reported and the time interval) to get the values to start appearing. Once that was done it worked well and has ben working incredibly well for 2 years now.

I now see 3 entities in the app (classic app). The main one Which shows unavailable and the 2 child processes (one for each clamp). They still don’t report anything.
How do you setup the report groups ? I don’t see any options in the app for these entries… confused.

edit: ok, im an idiot. Found the setup thing in the gear icon.
I set it up and pressed save. It still says sync in progress. And nothing reports. How long does that take?

Hit the gear icon on the main device and scroll down.

ok, cool. I hit the gear icon, set some of the options. Then still nothing. There is one tile with no name or icon on it. I pressed it and it reported a value !
But… now it is reporting negative values. Are the clamps on wrong? It also only sends an update when I press the ‘invisible’ button.

Good, at least you are getting somewhere. Negative value usually means the clamp is round the wrong way.

Have a play with the settings of what is reported and when and also the reporting thresholds. Don’t set it to report too often or this could cause it to hang.

I’ll flip both clamps the other way.
I’ve used the default settings for reporting thresholds. Hope that’s ok.

ok flipped clamps, now it reads positive values. Still doesn’t update by itself. Have to press the button. Also, reset kwh doesn’t seem to do anything. When I change values it gets stuck on sync-in-progress.

Are there any firmware updates for US type energy meters ? I only saw the EU firmware updates.

edit: Got it to work. I got some support from Aeon. They had me install z wave tweaker and it fixed the issue.

Looks like I’m having the same issue @geekwithoutacause. Can you share what Aeon had you do with the Zwave tweaker that enabled the automatic updating?

After struggling and getting nowhere, support at Aeotec got into my IDE and corrected a few things. My Gen 5 has been reporting correctly since.

UPDATE: Aeon Tech Support sent this very detailed set of procedures below which fixed my issue. The only addition I had to make was to remove/factory reset/pair the device before I started, which I would recommend to others as well (assuming you tried to muck around with it yourself first)

Afterwards, BTW, the tech also recommended I emphasize using live logging to track configuration completion instead of relying on the orange/green configuration button.

Thumbs up for the tech support!! Replied within maybe an hour at most I think.

This seems to be an association problem in this case is my suspicion in this case. You’ll need to use Z-Wave Tweaker to re-direct where the HEM Gen5 reports its energy readings to. Typically this is assigned during the pairing process, but we’ve found that recently this has failed with the HEM Gen5 causing the reports to not work.

You’ll need to re-assign Group 1 of the HEM Gen5 to report to Node ID 01 which is your SmartThings hub.

​I suggest that you keep live logging open when you configure the group association to ensure that after the HEM Gen5 syncs up that Group Association Group #1 points to Node ID 01:

The steps to install Z-Wave Tweaker (You only need to do this once, if already installed, skip this section):

1. Login to your SmartThings IDE
  2. Click on Locations and then select your gateway
  3. Select “My Device Handlers” then click on “Add new Device Handler”
  4. Select “From Code”
  5. Go into the Z-Wave Tweaker Code, and copy all of the code from line 0 to the very last line. (can be found here directly: https://github.com/codersaur/SmartThings/blob/master/devices/zwave-tweaker/zwave-tweaker.groovy)
  6. PRO TIP - Click on the “Raw” button which exposes only code, then ctrl + a (highlight all), then ctrl + c (copy highlighted).
  7. Paste this into your SmartThings IDE.
  8. Save the code.
  9. Then click on Publish -> “Publish for me”

Now install Z-Wave Tweaker over HEM Gen5:

1. Click on “My Devices”
  2. Look for your HEM Gen5 and click on it
  3. Scroll to the bottom then click “Edit”
  4. Find “Type” and bring out the drop down menu
  5. First make note of the original device handler that you were using (you will need to revert back to the original device handler later)
  6. Find “Z-Wave Tweaker” and select it
  7. click on “Update”

Using Z-Wave Tweaker to remove Group Association (best to do before associating).

1. Go into your “SmartThings Classic” App over your Smartphone
  2. Find the HEM Gen5 and open up its page, you’ll notice that everything is incredibly different. Please make note of the GREEN “Sync” symbol at the bottom.
  3. On the top right, click on the GEAR icon
  4. Scroll down and look for the “CONFIGURE ASSOCIATION GROUP” section, there are multiple parts in this section (Association Group ID, Association Group Members, Command Class)
  5. On “Association Group ID” set this to = 1
  6. On “Association Group Members” ensure that this is empty. This will delete any group association set to Group 1.
  7. On “Command Class” set this to “Auto-detect”
  8. Now click on “Save” located on the top right.
  9. From step 2 you made note of the GREEN “Sync” symbol, if the color is ORANGE “Unsynced” then you will need to wait for this to change to GREEN “Sync” before moving onto the next section.
  10. If your Z-wave device is a battery device, Wake up the battery device now to take in the new changes.
  11. If you see GREEN “Sync” at the bottom of the device page, you are now done with this section.

Using Z-Wave Tweaker to Set a GROUP ASSOCIATION

1. On the top right, click on the GEAR icon
  2. Scroll down and look for the “CONFIGURE ASSOCIATION GROUP” section, there are multiple parts in this section (Association Group ID, Association Group Members, Command Class)
  3. On “Association Group ID” set this to = 1
  4. On “Association Group Members” set this to = 01 (this is the NodeID identification of your SmartThings hub)

1. On “Command Class” set this to “Auto-detect”
  2. Now click on “Save” located on the top right.
  3. From step 2 you made note of the GREEN “Sync” symbol, if the color is ORANGE “Unsynced” then you will need to wait for this to change to GREEN “Sync” before moving onto the next section.
  4. If your Z-wave device is a battery device, Wake up the battery device now to take in the new changes.
  5. If you see GREEN “Sync” at the bottom of the device page, you are now done with this section.

Now install the original device handler over HEM Gen5:

1. Click on “My Devices”
  2. Look for your HEM Gen5 and click on it
  3. Scroll to the bottom then click “Edit”
  4. Find “Type” and bring out the drop down menu
  5. Find the original device handler and select it
  6. click on “Update”

After performing these steps, since you are using ClassicGods, i would suggest using:

Selective reporting = 0 or false

Group 1 to report all total reports

Group 2 to report all Clamp 1 reports

Group 3 to report all Clamp 2 reports

​Group 1 timed interval to 240 seconds

Group 2 timed interval to 241 seconds

Group 3 timed interval to 242 seconds

Allowing these devices to report in a cascading order will ensure that SmartThings will be able to process all 12 reports properly, if all 12 reports are sent, it is possible that some reports can be missed if there are too many reports at once.

These are my recommended settings, but how you want the HEM Gen5 to report will ultimately depend on how you want it.

2 Likes

I was about to post the info but I see you already go it. Good job.
Love the great support from Aeon Labs.

1 Like

I followed all these steps and I am still unable to get any reports neither with ClassicGOD nor with Dillon’s DTH. Only DTH that seem to be working for now is the default ST DTH. Can anyone help on what I am missing ? I read someone said that in order to get advanced feature to work I need secure pairing by pressing Action button twice while pairing that didn’t help either plus how do I know if I have got secure or non secure pairing ? I have got 5 of these for a very time critical project where I would like to measure the current on each pole. Any help ? TIA.

In a single phase system with a single clamp being used if you have solar PV, I’m seeing a negative value when my home is exporting power to the grid. Or a positive value when it is using grid power.

The Aeotec is one of the few meters to actually measure the direction of power without 2 clamps.

So presumably I can flip it if I want the readings to be the other way around. Which helps because both webcore and the smartthings apps can’t use logic or process a negative number!. I have reported this issue with Smartthings themselves as a bug requiring a fix.

Yes why not. I have a 3 clamp version monitoring solar power. The solar clamp backwards to give the negative reading and the grid clamp forwards to give a traditional reading. that way I can see what both are doing and then do a calculation for the house load.

Does this handler only work on the old app, im new to this and after a handler to work on the new app

I have only used the old app. However, I just did a test and everything seems to display the same on the new app,

1 Like

Ive added the handler and it seems to work ok on the new app, only thing ive noticed is history of events seemed to have stopped since ive added it. At least its a step forward before they remove the old app lol

I have the same situation. @DjAnu Are you still using the ST default DTH or you found other DTH?
The default one is not working for me :frowning: