Aeon Doorbell Type Beta

@keltymd did you press configure after installing jdawson’s version ?

Looking at the code if you didn’t then the value of state.notification will be null and I think ST will never get events.

@jdawson looking at the code I think there are a few holes where state.notification can be left null (mentioned above) or remain false when you want it to be true. For example playTrack() makes it false, off() sets it to true but on() doesn’t set it. So after playTrack() wouldn’t notifications and therefore ST events stop until some code is hit that makes it true again such as off() or configure() ? I have not tried your version but I noticed this when I viewed the code and thought I would mention it since @keltymd was having issues. I may just not be wrapping my brain around your changes yet.

1 Like

entering values in the blank field worked. I got it to turn off my living room light as a test when I rang it. Now I have the volume set to 10 but is is so quiet I can barely ear the ding dong. Anything I can do?

1 Like

BTW Thank you very much @jdawson… and @ron

1 Like

If you’re seeing a bunch of errors from the “Low Battery Notification” it’s caused by line 203 setting the name attribute without the value. Either of the changes below will fix the problem.

Line 203: def map = [ name: “battery”, value: 100]

or

Line 203: def map = [ : ]
Insert Below Line 204: map.name = “battery”

1 Like

off() is run every time the doorbell plays a sound and then stops via the physicalgraph.zwave.commands.basicv1.BasicReport. Therefore, the default value for state.notification will always be set to true. The only exception I have is when playTrack is executed, it temporarily sets state.notification to false, plays the sound, and then the off() function is triggered once the sounds stops and resets state.notification to false.

1 Like

@jdawson OK should have known better then to question code processed only by my brain and not my computer :smile: Just hoping to help, thanks for the explanation.

1 Like

I’m just starting to dabble into device handlers, so any help is much appreciated! Most of the development on this DH has been trial and error…

This has worked really well for me.

is the stock ding dong tone real low volume for you guys too?

[quote=“jdawson, post:301, topic:28889”]
I’m just starting to dabble into device handlers
[/quote]I’m also interested in tweaking a couple of the ones I’m using, but where can you find or how do you figure out the device specs? Like which parameter numbers a device accepts and what they do.

Yeah, even though I deleted them, I did pull them up in audacity and there was a bunch of room for amplification. So the mp3 files themselves can be made to be much louder. Once you normalize the mp3s, the doorbell is actually decently loud. Not foundation shaking, but anything high pitch can be heard very easily.

Found the device specs for the doorbell here:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwiC8tbI1qrKAhXG_R4KHXCfD3gQFggdMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fproducts.z-wavealliance.org%2FMarketCertification%2FFile%3Ffolder%3D%26filename%3DMarketCertificationFiles%2F1307%2FDoorbell%20manual(20150604).pdf&usg=AFQjCNENbLOcfMtjZhLBo-j9vgFJpmxIzA&sig2=cWqy0vLJsYOhrRMuPgESbA&cad=rja

I’m assuming all devices have similar documentation, just have to dig around for it I guess.

1 Like

Im gonna take their siren is much louder than these lol

I just checked and some of my other devices also have the commands in the manual so thanks for pointing that out.

Not always true. For example I would love the engineering specs for the GD00Z-4 Linear Garage Door opener but they are not available and contacting support has been unproductive so far.

Aeon-Tech on the other hand is great about sharing the specs if you contact their support. Makes sense to me since making the device work better would lead to more sales.

My Fibaro Motion Sensor can with a manual that included all the configuration details. That seems like the best idea, the specs should really be in the box for these things.

Yes, I also have the doorbell working when it is on a table, even located on the other side of the house several rooms away. But, when tape-mounted to the aluminum siding, just outside the front door less than 3 feet from the speaker/receiver, it does not work. If I place a one-inch block of wood between the aluminum siding and doorbell button, it works semi-reliably.

I have had 2 different as-cheap-as-I-could-find wireless doorbells operating for the past 15 years with no problems. There is something about their design which makes it ultra sensitive.

I want the increased functionality of a z-wave doorbell - the only question is how do I make this work?

Does anyone have any experience mounting these things so that they are not as susceptible to interference?

I have seen mention of drilling small holes. I could drill a few small holes through the aluminum siding behind the doorbell unit not extending through the entire wall. Would this be beneficial?

I got the block of wood idea from a DIY video on the net. Any other suggestions?

Barry.

Barry,

We have heard of similar problems and have already forwarded the comments to Aeotec. It’s hard to say whether they will find a reliable fix to this since virtually all Z-Wave devices (or radio-frequency-based devices) have a problem with metal surfaces. The problem with this one is that it uses different frequency to communicate between the button and siren so you can’t just install a regular Z-Wave repeater in between to solve the range issue.

The best way is to avoid metal surfaces if possible. It can be done for most sensors but we realize that it becomes a challenge when installing a doorbell since there is usually one designated area for the doorbell to be placed at so it can still serve its purpose.

We will keep you posted regarding any feedback from Aeotec we receive on the issue. Sorry we could not be more helpful!

@TheSmartestHouse My Doorbell just got dropped in the mail to be returned to you guys, great support I will but from you again in a snap!

My button was really wonky. If pressed lightly as you might press a doorbell normally it did nothing. If pressed really hard it would flash the blue ring once and do nothing. If pressed really hard and held down it flashed twice and the doorbell would ring as long as it was about 3 ft from the speaker with nothing blocking it. Aeon Tech support told me not to hold the button in my hand but place on a surface. I tried glass, wood, metal, nothing made it work correctly. 3ft range is obviously not going to cut it and the way my button was behaving I don’t think a visitor would have any chance of me answering the door :smile: Aeon Tech should have tested this button and designed it better.

I also provided Aeon Tech Support the issues we found with the way files are indexed. I recommended that he ask the developers to find a better way to let us index the files. Maybe a data file which contains our desired index order.

I hope Aeon-Tech makes some improvements in a future generation of this device.

1 Like

Thanks Ron! We’re actively working with Aeotec to eliminate all the issues you guys had to deal with so hopefully we’ll all see a better doorbell at our door soon.

We’ll test the device once it reaches our warehouse and let you know if we found the source of the problem for the poor range. Thank you again for giving us an opportunity to make this right!

3 Likes

Please ask Aeotec to either eliminate the autoplay when the unit is plugged in, or at the very least eliminate the “virtual switch” it has from turning on when it does this test play.

The test play is bad for a few reasons, one being that if you have a power blip it will play a sound - if this happens in the middle of the night could wake up your family. Second is, that switch going on has unintended consequences in HA schemes.