Adding Home Automation in Phases: my limited investment strategy

Kuna and other entry cameras

I do still use the Kuna lantern and I like it a lot, but it doesn’t integrate with SmartThings in any way. And I don’t know if it’s available in Europe. But there are a lot of other options for cameras and video doorbells. Again, anything with an IFTTT channel could be integrated with Google Home, Alexa, or smartthings as all three of those have their own IFTTT channel/services. But they may be only limited features. You just have to check each channel.

For me, one of the most important things was that I be able to activate the camera at any time. Some of the video doorBells, for example, only get activated once when the motion detector triggers, you can’t check again later.

Joystick with ipad

As far as using the wheelchair joystick with an iPad or iPhone, you can definitely do that without jailbreaking the device, but it’s done differently than attaching a mouse. Most power wheelchairs have a port for “environmental controls” for exactly this purpose. Apple puts this whole topic under “switch control” in their accessibility options.

Just as an example (I don’t know if this particular unit is available in Europe), the $349 tecla shield is very popular with wheelchair users in the United States and Canada. This is a small device which communicates wirelessly with the iPad and let you connect your wheelchair’s environmental control port to it. Then you just select switch control from the iPad’s regular accessibility options and you can use your joystick to select items on the iPad screen. Unlike android, this will work with almost any app under iOS because it is part of the operating system.

The video on this page shows how the connections are made, and they even sell a separate joystick if you want to set one up to use in bed or somewhere else where you might not have your wheelchair.

Obviously, voice will be more convenient for most people, but as an accessibility option a joystick can definitely be used with Apple products, although it may require a bridge device.

IR Remote

Just about anything with an IR remote can be used with harmony. It takes a little getting used to, because you have to first set up an activity in harmony that does exactly what you want. Then you can get voice control of the activity.

Harmony has recently added a second skill to echo which now gives voice control of volume, on/off, play, and pause, regardless of the activity you are in, just like it was a button press. That is a really nice feature. I don’t think that’s available with Google home yet, except for chromecast. But I expect it will arrive eventually.

The new skill for echo is the “red skill” in the following table:

Android and Tasker and Sharptools

Tasker definitely gives you a lot of options with android, and people used to use that as a voice solution. There is a third-party app you could also add called sharptools which works specifically with SmartThings to bridge between Tasker and SmartThings. That was actually the first way that voice control was demonstrated for SmartThings about two years ago before the echo came out. It might be worth looking into as well, although I think that once you have Google home you’ll be able to use that app on your phone as well, I’m not quite sure how all that works now.

http://sharptools.boshdirect.com/examples/autovoice-control-device

Some community members have done some really interesting things with android devices, Tasker, Autovoice and sharptools. See, for example:

Anyway, good luck, and definitely let us know how it goes! :sunglasses:

3 Likes