AD2SmartThings

I like some of the AD2SmartThings smartapp features like Smart Home Manager Sync. Has anyone looked at porting those functions to the Raspberry Pi implementation of this integration? I know AlarmDecoder (@kevin_nutech) has a project underway and I’m using a slightly modified version of his app right now.

Kevin, I know you guys are busy and can’t publish ETAs on any of your future plans, but can you list out what is on your roadmap for your SmartThings integration?

(Should RaspberryPi/AlarmDecoder conversations be moved to their own thread so as not to muddle up this Arduino thread?)

Thanks-
Jason

I would recommend a new thread if you have specific questions about Alarm Decoder’s RPi offering since this thread is for the AD2Pi+Arduino solution. I would recommend tagging @kevin_nutech once you create that thread so he knows to monitor another thread too.

For those that have implemented this project and have zone expanders installed on your alarm panel you may be interested to know that you can get the hard wired motion sensors to report activity while in Armed Stay. All of my motions were on my Vista 20P main board and I spent some time this past weekend re-configuring the zones and moved all the motions to one of my zone expanders since I noticed (and read) zone expanders report faults and restores always regardless of whether the alarm is armed or not.

I adjusted the code to process the !EXP messages while the alarm status was in armedStay - the published project currently ignores these updates from the Alarm panel. I just implemented this code and still testing but I can share the code if others are interested. But obviously the hard work is reprogramming your alarm panel if your motions are also on the main board but I will say its worth the effort!

I don’t have any wireless zones but I am sure those will report activity as well during Armed Stay as well. But unfortunately I cannot code for that since I have nothing to test with. Stan and I are happy to have folks submit Pull requests in GitHub.

Yep, little known trick but very useful, especially for occupancy sensing. You can also do this with the wireless sensors, the use a !RFX message

Thanks Kevin! Unfortunately I don’t have any wireless sensors so I am unable to factor that code into the project since I am unable to test it. I am all about hard wiring everything and am happy I have no batteries to replace on a regular basis.

If others using this project have wireless zones want to contribute to this feature I am happy to work with you!

Wonderful project!! Works amazingly! One question I do have is how do I tie the smart home monitoring arm/disarm together with the Alarm SmartApp? For instance can I make your SmartApp Arm Stay if I enable Smart Home Monitoring to Alarm (Home)? Or vice versa, Can I enable your Alarm Monitor Stay if I enable Smart Home Monitoring to Alarm (Home)? My goal is to have both work together. For instance if my alarm goes off I also want all the lights in my home to come on, a flashing light, an additional siren, notifications, all from SmartThings while the Alarm company gets notification and all those bells and whistles go off.

Once suggestion would be to add an additional panel for Instant. Sometimes I want to arm Stay and sometimes Instant. Instead of the option an additional panel or replacing the chime panel would be nice.

Thank you for your help, again Great Project!

There are Radar motion sensor modules out there that are not based on IR. Something like below. I have see the actual boards on Amazon. I just wonder of you can use this for outside so that you dont get the false alarms

https://www.123securityproducts.com/urx-p01bl.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&scid=scplp11727075&sc_intid=URX-P01BL&gclid=Cj0KEQiA9ZXBBRC29cPdu7yuvrQBEiQAhyQZ9FkM1dceEWfsQtRd1MepzL5VBLirN4AIko2ZHxx0fZUaAsah8P8HAQ

This is already implemented. When you set up the alarm smartapp you have the option to sync SHM and your alarm panel. Thus when you arm/disarm one it does the same to the other. It’s called SHM sync in the smartapp I believe. Overall it works pretty well. The only issue I have is when armed away and you arrive home SHM has no delay before going off so as soon as a door opens it triggers. Also when you have the intruder alert in ST it seems to prevent things from working smoothly until you dismiss it. It’s super annoying but until ST provides more control over SHM I don’t think it can be avoided.

That would be great! But I don’t see where that option to sync is at.

Kevin, I remember in the past I had used a different device type that did process those !rfx messages and I got motion updates. I may have to look into this but was wondering if you know if this works only when armed or when disarmed as well? I cannot remember. Thanks!

It’s on the 3rd page of the smartapp setup.

1 Like

I don’t have that. Mine only says v2. Where do I get the updated one?

Ralph, I added this feature several months ago based on request in this thread. You can download the latest from the links in the original post.[quote=“njschwartz, post:475, topic:10901”]
works only when armed or when disarmed as well
[/quote]

Nate, the !RFX and !EXP messages always happen. Basically the zone expander, wireless expanders send those to the alarm panel and then immediately following the alarm panel will post a normal looking message. I personally am ignoring the !EXP messages except if in Arm Stay since while in disarm the normal message loop will report what zones are active. The idea is to be able to use your motions while in arm stay.

If you have a wireless expander and want !EXP messages processed I am happy to work with you. I just don’t have any wireless devices to do it on my own.

Thanks for the response and for your excellent work on this project. I was actually just about to post and say I spoke too soon. The motion detector does fault and detect motion even when disarmed. The thing is, and I remember this now from before, is that it shows motion for just a few seconds and then immediately goes to inactive so it is easy to miss. It also seems to have a significant timeout before it will acknowledge motion again, I think at least 60 seconds. My only use case would be to detect motion and turn on a light or something so I think this is still usable for that purpose. I will have to play with it some more.

This depends on which KIND of sensor you have too. Older ones do less “ignoring.” Design updates made them less chatty to save battery. You’ll find that newer sensors last probably around 3x as long battery wise than old sensors, just because of granularity.

While this sensor won’t integrate directly with a Vista panel, the alarmdecoder’s virtual zone functionality would allow you to tie it in to your alarm provided you can read the state.

PM Me your address, while I don’t have time to contribute code to your project, I can contribute a couple 5800 sensors for this to be implemented - I personally think it is rather important. Assuming you have an RF capable system that is. Most times you’ll have like a 6160RF keypad involved or similar RF modeled keypad.

Kevin, thanks for the offer. Unfortunately my Vista 20P was installed 12 years ago and I don’t have a RF receiver or keypad.

I was reading the Protocol documentation on your website and it appears you have to know the serial number of each wireless device? That may be difficult for some to figure out and then coding for it will also be challenging to find a nice user friendly way to map a serial number to a zone. I am certainly up for the challenge though if someone with RF devices wants to work with me.

Yeah, you have to know each serial number - which is printed on a sticker under the lid… or you can just watch the raw stream for the RFX message when you trigger it and write it down

Something interesting