AD2SmartThings

Well, my suggestion would be to revert back to FFFFFFFF (default) and find a way to build the mask you need for yourself :slight_smile: The way it’s configured would show messages from addresses 16-19 so maybe one of those is configured as a different partition.

Kevin - would there be any harm in only unmasking my ad2pi

What does this mean? You need a value in the setting. Default FFFFFFFF is in effect “unmasked” and not filtering out anything.

I was asking if there was a code to mask everything except 19 which is the ad2pi

Here is a mask with only address 19 enabled: 00000800

First, wanted to say thanks for this project, just what I was looking for the upgrade my ADT alarm system.

I was compiling the arduino code, and was getting this error
SmartThings smartthing(HW_SERIAL3, messageCallout); //constructor for hardware serial port with ST_Anything Library
^
exit status 1
’messageCallout’ was not declared in this scope

I searched, and found that if I add this line before the line that causes the error, it fixes the compilation error
SmartThingsCallout_t messageCallout; // call out function forward declaration

It was from here

It would be nice to fix the code, and hoping this helps someone else. Not sure why everyone doesn’t have this problem?

I am doing this on a mac, I wouldn’t think it would matter.

I was also wondering if anyone has integrated this with ST_Anything?

I’m planning to do integrate both, so I can integrate my alarm with Smartthings, and add a garage door sensor/opener to the mix.

Randy

Done. Updated the Arduino sketch in master branch to 3.0.2 with the fix.

Hi Stan
Thanks for the quick response.
I also wanted to let you know I’ve built a new arduino program combining your program with ST_Anything.
I basically just copied your program and that program together.

It compiles, but I still have to buy all the stuff and put it together.

Randy

Thanks kevin

I took a few weeks off to knock out some other projects and picked this back up.

I now have it working…mostly. I can arm/disarm, zones show properly, etc. But I do get a few odd things going on. I see some posts about this but not sure what the resolution is.

1. Once I arm, the main tile alternates from Armed to Disarmed (but the system is definitely armed).
  2. Messages back to the phone are very delayed sometimes. As an example, during countdown, it might get an update twice, but thats it.

My alarm should only have one partition, but I have a “zone extender” (I have a total of 16 zones); wondering if that is somehow showing up as a second partition?

UPDATE
I was having the flashing thing when armed (switching between armed and disarmed). I cycled through each of the assigned keypads, and discovered that a keypad was set to Partition 3; changed that partition 1, and now the issue seems to have gone away.

@azipchon,
Looks like you were able to fix issue #1. When the main tile alternates, the issue is usually related to a second partition.

With respect to issue #2, the AD2Pi only updates the Device Handler whenever there is a change in status. Otherwise, there would be updates every 2 seconds or so which would create unnecessary traffic to your hub. There is also an automatic update that runs every 10 min which serves as backup to keep SmartThings in synch with the alarm panel. If the tiles have not been updating as expected, it may be due to overall system performance. The SmartThings platform performance was degraded for most of the week (click here for status ) Performance appears to be improving and hopefully this addresses the issue.

Thanks for the response, and a HUGE thanks to you and some of the others (Craig, etc) that have worked on the alarm integrations. I’ve gotten it to where its working…now I’m trying to learn about how to actually use Smartthings!

I’ve managed to have it text me when there is an alarm per your “hack” above, so thats knocked out.

A few other questions:

1. Is it possible to “takeover” the Dashboard and put a few tiles that control the alarm there? I’m guessing yes…but figured I’d confirm that it is indeed possible before I go too far down the rabbit hole.

2. How do I change the tile designs? I’d love to have tiles that were black background, or some other colors. They’re all gray in the background, haven’t figured out how to alter that.

I don’t have power in the closet where the alarm panel is located. I believe the alarm panel (I also have a wireless dial controller, adt pulse box in there) is just being powered using the large battery in the panel.

Have you had any power issues from connecting directly via the panel?

You definitely have power going into the panel as the battery has to be charged somehow. :wink:

See post 79 above. Some folks are using the panel to power the Arduino:

It works great. And has the added advantage that the power from the ADEMCO/Honeywell panel has battery backup!!! I need to get some pics uploaded!

First off @d8adrvn, thanks for all the hard work on this. Your write up on Github helped alot… and through a little work and head scratching, I was finally able to get my setup to work.
One thing I’m not keen on is the repeat messages that is being reported. I really don’t see a need to report the same thing over and over. If you’re looking for a full report possibly a tile command can be created to request the status of everything. The current setup just obliterates the Activity Feed and makes it impossible to keep an eye on other items. I know it can be a difficult task separating everything out… I’m going to try and put a spin on the code and see what I can come up. I’m not at all familiar with Git and forking… so if something comes to fruition I will let you know.
Thanks!!

@jscongdon I wanted to save you a little time reprogramming this code! Stan and I have been PM’ing for a while now about an updated version. As you will see in post 52 above, I created a version that significantly reduced the updates to SmartThings so the logs were usable. I also added a capability that will allow zones to be monitored independently. What I mean here is the original version wouldn’t not clear a fault until all faults were cleared. I wanted the ability for say a window to report open, while a motion or door goes active and inactive all independently.

I just uploaded a new more efficient version of my code that only sends 1 update to SmartThings versus multiple before. I have been finding that the SmartThings performance issues are causing messages to be dropped. I will admit some messages still get dropped with my latest code due to continued SmartThings performance issues, but it is much better.

I also introduced a new alertMsg attribute that a SmartApp can subscribe to and send you a push notification for say your alarm going on battery, your alarm going off, or really whatever you want. I designed this specific attribute separate than the msg attribute since that one gets quite a bit of updates.

Anyway feel free to download my code and give it a try. I will admit the version I posted on GitHub is a little different than what I have running since I have tweaked mine further to my house settings so hopefully it will compile correctly for everyone. Stan’s instructions mention the Timer library requirement, I removed that requirement, but added a new one for ArduinoJSON which I use on the Arduino side to keep all the updates in a JSON string. So you will need to add that code to your library: https://github.com/bblanchon/ArduinoJson/releases

Stan and I will work together to get instructions updated and this all cleaned up but again I wanted to save you a lot of time recoding all of this.

I am also working on a SmartApp to monitor the alarm. I have been using one to send me push notifications but it requires that you manually create virtual devices. Before I publish it, I wanted to leverage the methods to automatically create virtual devices to save time for everyone. I just haven’t had the time to look into that yet.

Edit: Removed link to my fork since Stan and my projects have been merged.

2 Likes

Just a small update from the nu tech side of things. We’ve officially released our REST API in our AlarmDecoder WebApp, you can find documentation here: http://www.alarmdecoder.com/swagger/

That said, we’re close to releasing some ST stuff that integrates with the API - let’s just say we were able to turn a light on and off by triggering a zone…

2 Likes

@kevin_nutech Good to hear. I’m going to be working on integrating a XBee with some RBGWW LED Strip lights that I have. One of the features I wanted to add was the lights strobing red if an alarm was set.

This is my first working with ST… can a config file be created for labeling of zones? That way when anyone goes to update they don’t have to re-enter all the zone info.

It’s also a little confusing that the new code has an older version specified.