2018 - Current: Custom Graber Virtual Cord Z-wave+ Shades & Bali Autoview Z-wave+ Shades

A few things to check for. First go through live logging to see if the hub is keeping the motors awake by sending commands to it more frequently than the others.

If you don’t see anything unusual there the simplest thing to try would be to fully reset them and re-add them to ST and see if it makes a difference. Battery issues should have been resolved by now (it’s quite rare) and the reset should take care of it.

Neal, thanks I will try a full reset. After I remove the shade from ST, should I hard reset the shade? I think that requires a 7 second press of the button on the shade. Is this correct?

I did watch the live logging. ST did seem to poll for battery status every 5-10 minutes, but ST seemed to bee polling all of the shades in this room with the same frequency. That does seem excessive.

So the full reset would actually wipe the limits and all programming on the shade. To do that first remove the shade and remote from ST (or any other hub you’re using). Once removed press and hold the button on the shade until it goes from Green > Flashing Green > Flashing Red > And finally no lights. This can take up to 20 or so seconds and during this time the shade would Jog twice. The first time in 7 seconds approx, and the second time towards the end of the light sequence. Also it’s better to do it with your shade halfway up, since it’s easier to set limits etc.

Do you have the manual with you to set the limits on the motor?

Hi Neal,
Yes. I have the manual and I will try this full reset procedure this weekend. Thank you for the advice on the end limits. I will do this procedure this weekend.

I got 18 new blinds in January and all were shipped with 1.12 firmware. Can i get the firmware to update all of mine ? I’m having issues when using scenes and using routines in Alexa and not having them all go , all the way down , or all the way up , there are always a few that don’t go all the way and i have to run the scene again

Where they purchased through us? If so please reach out to support via email and they’ll get you on track.

Sorry i have FW ver 11.02

zw:F type:1107 mfr:026E prod:5253 model:5A31 ver:11.02 zwv:4.33 lib:03 cc:5E,26,85,59,72,86,5A,73,25,7A,80 role:07 ff:9A00 ui:9A00

I purchased from Blinds.com - bali blinds , appears to be the exact same ones from Zebra. Do i need to contact Blinds.com / Bali or Spring Window Fashions ? Or can i simply get the firmware from you guys ? I doubt customer support at any of the above will know what i’m talking about

At this point I would say PM me with your email and I’ll see what I can do. As most people who’ve purchased Bali products mentioned above, Bali customer service isn’t aware of this neither are most retailers. Only reason we have access is we helped discovered the bug and I’ve been actively following up with the engineering team at Springs to get it resolved. We also have a program in place to update our customers and provide the necessary support. The main issue comes down to most retailers being there solely to sell the products and not actively support it.

Thanks

I did contact Spring Fashion - the technical support knew of no new firmware, so they asked their firmware engineers and only reported that all blinds shipped this year had the latest firmware. Not sure why mine shipped with the 11.02 then

Sorry for the long delay in getting back to this. The firmware is 11.2 but unfortunately I did not purchase them through ZebraBlinds (though for what its worth you have definitely made a convert out of me for any blinds I need to buy in the future). Do you know if there is any other way to get the firmware update?

As mentioned above, PM me your email and I will do what I can.

I have the 11.2 firmware and am experiencing the same issue of them only moving a little bit. I bought them last year but only recently started using them with my hub instead of the handheld remotes.

If ordered from us, please reach out to support.

Promo’s are updated again.

1. SmartThings coupon is still up and running with 36% off. Coupon: SmartThings (expires April 30th)
  2. BUY MORE | SAVE MORE is back and even better

BUY MORE | SAVE MORE - Save an additional 3% when purchasing 5 - 9 quantity, save an additional 7% when purchasing 10 - 14 quantity and save an additional 12% when purchasing 15+ in quantity. Stacks with the SmartThings discount. Applies to ALL GRABER PRODUCTS/Z-WAVE SHADES.

@zebrablinds, Neal would you be willing to try and help me obtain the 11.03 firmware? I just received 15 roller shades from Springs this week. (Didn’t know about you before finding this thread, otherwise I definitely would have purchased these from you!) Every single one of the shades I received has 11.02 firmware, and they are all exhibiting the sporadic start/stop and flashing red light behavior discussed on this thread. I can’t PM you as I’m a new member.

“Orphaned” as in the device is still in development, but unless it is purchased through a reseller with a support system in place there is no support. I bought through Lowes (between sales and the 10% veteran discount it makes it hard to buy a big ticket item elsewhere). They sell both Graber and Bali. I’ve been happy with the blinds. We’ve had them for 2 years now, still on the original batteries. It’s a learning thing for me, as in - learning how to not trigger the bug. It’s pretty simple, I just have to make sure it completes the execution of one command before giving it another.

I think Samsung is not the only one lagging here, the ability to do an ota zwave update has been around for quite a while. They just don’t feel that it’s important enough to add to their hub. And Graber gets a little of that shade too, withholding a fix for an identified bug in their firmware can’t be justified.

3 Likes

Just a promo update:

LIMITED PROMO, Expires June 7, 2019, Save upto 48% off
Save a total of 36% on up to 4 z-wave shades, 40% on 5 - 9 z-wave shades, 44% on 10 - 14 z-wave shades and 48% on 15+. Works in both US and Canada.
Coupons
1 - 4 Shades: SmartThings
5 - 9 Shades: SmartThings40
10 - 14 Shades: SmartThings44
15+ Shades: SmartThings48
US: https://www.zebrablinds.com/smart-homes/smart-motorized-electric-shades
Canada: https://www.zebrablinds.ca/smart-homes/motorized-window-shades-canada

Has anyone been able to get these consistently working with 3rd party DC (single-shade) transformers?
Especially newer shades made in 2019?

I have tried 4 different 3rd party transformers up to this point (all 12-15v and 2.0A+)
These work 100% reliably with 2 of my 7 shades and don’t work at all with the other 5.

For the ones that don’t work, it’s not an amperage issue when trying to start the motor - I am not even getting that far as the shade electronics simply do not initialize (there is a red flash when power supply is plugged in but no corresponding green flash a few seconds later and no response to button presses on the shade).

Given the “use our overpriced power options or we will void your warranty” stance, I wouldn’t put it past SWF to have some secret sauce to reject 3rd party power supplies but then I am not sure why 2 of the shades are working just fine with 3rd party supplies…

The warranty policy is in place to prevent any power related variables from affecting the motor if you experience issues down the line.

In most cases I wouldn’t call it overpriced either since after discounts, (like the ones on right now) the plugin transformer which is about $39 comes down to the equivalent of $20 when purchased with the shade. Considering it keeps your warranty intact and most DC transformers with a similar power output are between $10 and $30 depending on the source and quality I would say it’s a fair price.

If it turns out that the reason 3rd party power supplies don’t work is due to their lack of quality (i.e not actually delivering the output they claim in their specs) then I would concede the fairness point. Otherwise, let’s agree to disagree :smile:

In any case, at this point, I am just trying to understand what’s going on just as a matter of principle (I already have SWF DC transformers on order for the shades that I bought without them).