200 Device Limitation? Really? Any alternatives?

Well, that only took a year (save 9 days…)

5 Likes

Well what-do-you-know! Wonder what made them change their mind(s)? People running multiple hubs?!

2 Likes

Yes…got a revert from smartthings but it’s only for the US region it seems. Please see their below reply. I am using a UK version hub. But at least this helps US customers.

We just heard back from a member of our escalations team and after looking into this, they mentioned that the limit thus far has only been increased for US users. Not to worry, we are asking for when the remaining regions will be ready.

2 Likes

even smartthings doesn’t have a proper answer for this. But I feel that I have to plan and need to migrate to a reliable platform in the near future.

always good to keep your options open with anything. i have a hubitat c7 on the shelf just in case! haha

1 Like

How long ago was that answer from customer service? It was just removed for me yesterday.

Got the confirmation on the 11th that the restriction is removed. But when I checked I still had the restriction on my app. I reverted back. Just today they updated me that It’s applicable only to the US region.

1 Like

Confirmed, and just in time to add a couple more Zigbee outlets for holiday lighting!

2 Likes

Now if we can have more than 20 rooms/groups…

you can add more than 20 rooms if you add them through https://my.smartthings.com

3 Likes

Any word on when Australia will have the luxury of being able to add more then 200 devices?

My set-up is 1 location and 3 hubs spread over a large site, so I was shocked when I reached the limit today.

I think the Fibaro Smart Implant that creates 1 parent and 4 child devices that has put me over the 200 limit. I’ve got 30 of them on 1 hub, 30x5 that’s 150 alone.

1 Like

I am in Europe, using what must be a UK hub, and the 200 device limit is still there. What the heck is taking you so long, Smartthings?

Thanks for this hint!. I completely moved to Hubitat C7 and this platform improved( and still improving) with a lot of compatible sensors/devces and more over local processing !

No tension on version update/cloud outage/device limit etc :slight_smile:

@JDRoberts 200 device limit just popped up again, but it is account limited now as i have a couple of hubs and definitely under 200 per hub.

so, i guess if they want to play this way now, will have to run multiple accounts! LOL

right now i have things divided up:

hub 1 - outlets/lights/buttons/remotes/keypads

hub 2 - contact sensors

hub 3 - motion sensors

1 Like

How do you get anywhere near 200 devices on one hub?

I have 129 on my V3 hub and it’s telling me the memory is full. It hasn’t stopped me adding devices though, and I guess I’ll just keep going until it pops :man_shrugging:

As far as I know, the 200 device limit always applied to either location or account, not hub, as it included virtual devices which were cloud-based and other cloud-based integrations. (As @csstup notes below, the current limitation is per account, regardless of how many hubs or locations you have.)

It seems to have been mostly a limitation of the app/UI. I do know two members who don’t have hubs, but who have a lot of virtual devices and cloud integrations, who hit the limit. For example, it wasn’t uncommon for people who had a harmony hub to use up 15 or 20 virtual devices just for that.

But as far as hitting 200 devices per one hub, even that is possible. If I recall correctly, at one point @john_constantelo hit the limit. And again, the use of virtual devices which are edge drivers can also push up the number being used per hub.

3 Likes

I’m looking at whether I should add a second hub, and weighing up the options. If you split it like this, can the sensors in hub 3 control lights in hub 1?

Would it be better to put whole rooms (related lights, sensors etc) on one hub or other?

well, as i have it right now, the hubs are all still on the same account so all the devices look and work together under the one account.

though, once you separate the hubs to separate accounts then the devices wont work across different accounts.

it would be possible to separate devices to major/room segments.

i was thinking about adding a separate account and hub just for leak detectors and smoke/co2 detectors.

2 Likes

There is a limit of 50 edge drivers per hub, and some people have run out of memory before then. So there might be an advantage to keeping devices of the same device class together, if they can use the same edge driver.

Traditionally with Z wave installations people on other platforms have often divided them by physical space, like one hub per floor, but that was more about range, responsiveness, and needing fewer repeaters. It also helped diminish the impact of architectural barriers, such as you get in a brick or Adobe house.

Hear you’re running into a different kind of issue, which is a platform limitation. :thinking:

2 Likes

You can have up to 200 devices across all locations on an account.

Devices paired to hubs in the same location can see each other for routines but execution will require the cloud. Hubs do not attempt to communicate with each other, even if they are on the same local network.

2 Likes