Z-Wave Doorbell from a Wireless Doorbell + Door/Window Sensor

Ring doorbell it is now compatible with IFTTT, I linked it to my Hue lights and work perfect

I know this is a little lateā€¦

I just tied together the 1byone Easy Chime with one of the Monoprice open/close sensors.I looked for someplace on the plugged in station to drop a connection, but didnā€™t find any thing. I ended up wiring the open/close into the button at the onboard LED. Just needed to correctly orient the connection, and the open/ close sensor sees it as ā€œclosedā€ until the LED blinks.

Anyone have any suggestions for the following:

I completed the project above using a one2one doorbell and an Orvibo contact sensor wired across the LED.

Under normal circumstances the contact is closed and when the door bell is pushed the contact opens. Hereā€™s the problem. The LED flashes and the contact opens and closes and then opens and closes again.

This generates two notifications. Iā€™ve got the setting enabled of 1 min between notifications but I still get two push notifications???

Any ideas?

Thanks

Paul

I donā€™t know why or what to suggest Paul, Iā€™m quite new to STā€¦but I set up a ā€˜notify me whenā€™ on one of my orvibo sensors this morning. The first time it triggered I received 2 notifications and noticed one has what I assume is my ā€˜homeā€™ badge and the other doesnā€™t, maybe that has something to do with it?

After that it seems to send just one (up to now) Iā€™m not using it connected to a doorbell though.

Iā€™m tempted to try this, how easy is it to wire up? I have limited experience in soldering automotive electrics, fixed the odd dry joint here and there but thatā€™s about it.

Setup was easy. I think the double notification is an effect of the doorbell flashing the LED (even though hat smart app is set to only notify once per minute. If you open the Orvibo contact sensor up on either side of the device youā€™ll see two black objects. These are the sensors, you just need to solder a wires to either side of the sensor and then connect this wires to the legs of the led within the door bell. You can test the wires are working before you connect the LED by connecting them to form the circuit, the sensor should change status within ST. Itā€™s pretty simple really. Unfortunately the double notification is a pain and raises questions from the Mrs.

Nice the door bell was a tenner it might be worth trying another that lights the LED instead of flashing it.

Good luck!

Thanks it doesnā€™t look too difficult to do :unsure:

I was playing around with CoRE earlier and iā€™m pretty sure you could effectively get it down to just the 1 notification using that, or another possibility would be android/tasker/sharptoolsā€¦but the non flashing led would be the easiest solution for sure!

1 Like

Iā€™m looking for ways of creating a cheap ā€˜smartā€™ button.

If all thatā€™s needed is to connect the open/closed sensor to the wires for the LED in the button, could I use this technique to create a smart button without having the actual bell/chime unit involved?

I know Iā€™d need to figure out which Device Handler to use, but this sounds like it may be a viable solution.

Any thoughts?

p.s. I already have a few open/closed sensors that Iā€™m using to make different thingsā€¦

I created a smart button linking a button into a contact switch (they have external connections for additional windows/doors). However I just bought an aeon labs gen5 z-wave doorbell and itā€™s possible with a custom app to turn this device into two separate things: a siren and a button. For $40ish (itā€™s an or-best-offer item) you get a button you can put anywhere thatā€™s kind of attractive, and you also get a chime. The siren is interesting because you can load it with up to 99 mp3s to use for notifications and the app will play whichever one you wish. You could hide this behind a couch and use the button to control lights and have the speaker say ā€œlights are onā€ or ā€œlights are offā€ or whatever. My stuff is mostly voice-controlled but it never hurts to have a physical button.

What device type are you using for Foscam?

I finally got round to trying this at the weekend, using the orvibo sensor. I made a complete mess of it and fried it :sob: i know what I did wrongā€¦so at least I can take a positive from that but I donā€™t think Iā€™ll be trying again, my eyes and hands arenā€™t what they used to be :tired_face: will try to find a sensor with terminals thatā€™s not ridiculously overpriced in the uk.

the contact sensor is a good route. I got three of them on sale with a motion sensor and siren for $25. Iā€™m going to be making a water flood sensor out of one of them since the standard zwave ones are at least $50 and i can get a regular one for $9.