Rule machine - as per the app developer, this app is no longer available for new installs, distribution, or support

:100:

Exaxtly what I meant. Sorry if it didnā€™t come across that way. It was about having a dialogue.

We are also currently working on a roadmap based largely around feedback from this call and this community.

5 Likes

I watched the whole thing and, not being a developer but have a decent understanding, and being a consumer of the product since Christmas (thanks to my wonderful wife in the event she sees this); I thought it was very enlightening. I have a decent configuration at home that is ran almost exclusively using RM and have issues here and there, so I hope the next release will solve a lot of everyoneā€™s issues. @slagle, I think the devlopers and you all need to work closely together and have specific forums but I hope those developers are active in this community as well. Their names do carry a lot of weight in responses, recommendations and solutions. Others like @JDRoberts (which I 100% agree with the end of the video) are awesome as well. I like a tiered approach, developers, super users and basic consumers. But some of the things discussed in that video would be great for some of the super users as well. I donā€™t care, nor understand, what is coming in a firmware release, but knowing a release is coming or other topics in the video would add some comfort to us that spend more time in this community than working some times (now I hope my wife doesnā€™t read this). sounds like we all want a common result.

The exit door is always open. Until this point*, reports of ST demise have been greatly exaggerated.

Since thereā€™s no monthly fee for me to cancel, I guess Iā€™ll try to vote with my presence instead of my absence. Iā€™ll keep reviewing the hub and app poorly wherever I can. If things improve, Iā€™ll change my reviews. In the meantime, Iā€™ll keep my eyes open for an alternative platform.

*Grantedā€¦ This is the low point of my time with STā€¦

2 Likes

I agree. My point is, thatā€™s not the only thing pointing at the problem. Look at the trends, they never lie.

Still, no one can name a better alternative. Just the fact that Rule Machine could even exist tells you the most important thing about this platform. Iā€™ll take it at 90% reliable and agree that it needs to get to 99% to sustain HA. At 90% itā€™s more reliable what I came from, with 100 times the capability.

4 Likes

Iā€™m not suggesting ST will disappear, although Samsung had pulled the plug on failed acquisitions before, so you canā€™t totally disregard this possibility.

Weā€™re approaching second anniversary of SmartThings acquisition and I donā€™t think their future is yet certain.

What is certain, at least to me, is that as a development platform, SmartThings have already failed. Sure, thereā€™s always going to be plenty of noobs willing to give it a crack at writing some trivial Groovy apps. As used car salesmen say, a fool is born every day. But anyone who tried creating anything above medium level of complexity inevitably ran into a brick wall of SmartThingā€™ architectural limitations and ended up in the same place wher Bruce is now. Coincidence? I donā€™t think so.

3 Likes

Good point, but weā€™re not talking about the scrappy IoT startup anymore. Weā€™re talking about a division of a global giant in technology/consumer electronics. 90% wonā€™t cut it for your average user (whom I readily agree isnā€™t those of us here in the forums).

You are right and your perspective is always appreciated. I respect your opinion because itā€™s based off of fact, research, and experience.

Yes, Iā€™m negative about a lot of things. But Iā€™m also positive about this system as a whole.

I speak up and I voice what I see, negative or positive. Iā€™ve tried to have a dialog with the advocates, Iā€™ve asked questions. I get the same responses that I got above, that Iā€™m wrong and everything is in the works.

And just like the responses weā€™ve been getting over and overā€¦ Weā€™ll see it on Monday.

Ok. Whatā€™s going on Tim? Whereā€™s the transparency? What was the root problem of the melt down? Whatā€™s being done to fix? Whatā€™s being done to keep the developers here? Whatā€™s being done to make this community thrive again? What being done to turn this community back from 85% complaints to a positive atmosphere of growth? Whatā€™s being done to keep your loyal group users from taking that somewhere else? @slagle, how about some real answers.

Yes, we are a small part of the overall ST user base. But I can guarantee you that we are at least 50% usage stats.

Honestly, w just want to know whatā€™s going on?

2 Likes

We are preparing something to share, we want to make sure we get everything we are working on. We owe you a reliable platform and we are marching head on towards that goal.

15 Likes

Exactly, and that global giant will eliminate this little bump in the road as soon as they are not providing what is expected.

I bet you wonā€™t find a single owner if a revolve hub that bought it thinking, oh Iā€™ll just get this one cause Iā€™ll be upgrading next year anywayā€¦ So I donā€™t care if itā€™s shut down!

Tim,
I am completely sincere when I say I am looking forward to being proven wrong. I honestly love this system and I want it to succeed. It may not seem like it, but I really do.

I know this system can rule the HA world and Iā€™m anxious to see it happen and to be here at the somewhat beginning.

4 Likes

I think itā€™s a misunderstanding. SmartThings is not a division of Samsung. Theyā€™re operating as an independent entity and co-located with Samsungā€™s ā€œinnovation centerā€, i.e. their own start-up incubator. As with any other start-up, itā€™s a gamble. If it doesnā€™t work out, they will just cut their losses and pull the plug. No tear will be shed. Itā€™s just business.

My take on it is that by the end of this year Samsung will make up their mind, most likely based on their 2016 SmartTV sales, whether to pursue this technology or not. Weā€™ll see.

2 Likes

Good pointā€¦ I used ā€˜divisionā€™ a little too liberallyā€¦

Having been at Samsung when the acquisition happened, and having met with a lot of the leadership team during my time helping with the Open Interconnect Consortium (now Open Connect Foundation), Iā€™m probably a bit too close to this situation.

Honestly, I waited specifically for hub V2 based on what I knew at the time as part of the Samsung ā€˜family.ā€™

There are many times since then that Iā€™ve regretted jumping in with both feet. What was promised/architected based on what I knew at the time has not come to fruition, so yeah, itā€™s beyond frustrating for me personally.

Iā€™m with @bamarayne on this - I literally would be shouting from the rooftops to get people on this platform if stability and reliability were addressed, and people like @bravenel werenā€™t forced into a corner by bad management decisions.

However, I also have no problem using every avenue at my disposal (personal recommendations, social media, etc.) to make sure that no one else is burned by this system if they canā€™t get their act together. I think even the most vocal of us have been waaaaay more patient than is warranted, because we see the promise in the platform.

Joe and Jane Sixpack will never stick around like this.

4 Likes

Should we expect IT before or after April 27th?

2 Likes

Will this be in the form of an email, or a forum post? Hopefully email, as posts get buried/lost/never found.

If a forum post, what sub forum of what hierarchy?

1 Like

Will be here ā€¦

https://community.smartthings.com/c/announcements

Well, hopefully it wonā€™t be general and it will be longer than two sentencesā€¦

1 Like

Wow, all we need is more teasing and suspense. Share it already. :smile:

4 Likes

How about a date for sharing the information? The information sharing should not have to go through QA, so it can be fairly predictable.

1 Like
6 Likes