[OBSOLETE] ZWN-SC7 Enerwave 7 Button Scene Controller

Get it completely working while it is hanging out of the box to improve signal quality.

If it just plain isn’t working, remove power for a few and power it back up.

Consider moving the hub closer if you have issues.

I wanted to try this device without going through the hassle of removing a switch just to find out it doesn’t work. I ended up cutting off the female end of an unused 3 prong computer power cord. Wired it up and plugged it in. Now I have a nice portable desktop controller. It took about 10 tries to get it to connect to ST by following the included instructions. Initially, only button one would work but then magically without any additional tinkering they all worked. I can unplug and move it where needed and it still works great. No intention of leaving it portable, just can’t find a place to put it at the moment.

1 Like

I recommend considering places where you have 3-way slave switches. The big button can be programmed to do what the slave used to do and then you have 6 buttons to do other things with.

1 Like

That sounds like a good plan. I’m currently in a rental while I’m building a new home, and I’m trying to test out everything I plan to use before wiring up the new place. The rental only has one 3 way and it’s a dimmer. My wife would probably get annoyed if she lost the dimmer control from the slave. I was thinking of putting one by the front door to turn off all lights or set to away when leaving.

Been dealing with Snozilla on the east coast, so I didn’t see this message. If you still need tips, let me know.

At a high level, the steps are install the device code in My Device Handlers (ZWN-SC7-Enerwave-7-Button-Scene-Controller (master)) in My Device Handlers and install the SmartApp code (ZWN-SC7 Button Controller) in SmartApps in your graph.api.smartthings console. THEN discover your device.

I already had a gibhub account and graph account, so importing the code was easy. The only thing I’m debating is whether or not to create virtual groups of lights using Device Handlers or Simulated Switch so it’s easier to control using SmartTiles

1 Like

The large button is great by door for away.

The last update to the SmartApp some months back has been 100%, even following g a power failure…

1 Like

BTW, Rule Machine now supports ZWN-SC7. Just tell it you have 7 buttons. Got it working this morning in V1.7.3.

6 Likes

Bruce, you keep this up and I’m going to name my children after you. Little bravenel is going to have a hard time in school…

2 Likes

This was a project I have been working on for months lol . . . bench testing and wanted to install tonight (started months ago)…finally . . . some times it would turn some devices on but not off . . .did a search, found this and bam worked…Thanks!!!

Is anyone having problems getting a second ZWN working properly? I installed the first one in a snap (Device Handler ZWN-SC7-Enerwave-7-Button-Scene-Controller, and SmartApp ZWN-SC7 Button Controller installed first) ST discovered it and was able to program it. Was the testing Guinea Pig for Bruce to get it working in RM, converted the first ZWN over to RM (better rules now setup, 'cause Bruce Rocks!).

However went to install the second ZWN, post RM, the Device Handler and SmartApp are still in place, ST successfully discovers the ZWN (but gives it a different icon than the first), but the ZWN itself reports a failed discover (5 quick flashes) and goes to all lights on. Pressing buttons just causes the same 5 quick flashes to all on and does not create an event log in ST.

So my question to the hive mind is what am I missing when installing the second ZWN?

My second did this as well, went into the IDE made sure device type was right, hit configure in the app on the new device, and it worked.

By ‘device type was right’ do you mean that IDE shows type ’ ZWN-SC7 Enerwave 7 Button Scene Controller’? Both of the ZWN’s show that device type (double checked, then hit the Config on the new device) the original has a funky popping bubble icon, the new has a icon that looks like a remote. Will check if the device is working correctly when I get home tonight.

Yes, in the device types it shows as “mattjfrank : Enerwave ZWN-SC7 7 Button Scene Controller” last modified 2-13-15.

Not sure on the icon, that’s weird. You did do the inclusion pushing the first third fifth button and it blinked as expected right? If that fails, might just remove it from ST, do an exclusion, and re-add it, could take a few tries. Or repair z-wave network.

Yep that is the device type, thanks for confirming.

Yes, did the inclusion 1-3-5 button. Tried removing from ST, also did a factory reset on it 2-4-6 button, before second try at adding. Came back to the same state. Didn’t know about repairing the z-wave network, will look up doing that and try that out, can’t hurt. The device is in the same box as another z-wave switch that works fine.

I’ve got both of mine in metal boxes and they paired fine, but if you can get the hub closer while trying inclusion again, might help. I think I had to pair two maybe three times with my first one, the second paired then just needed a few seconds of the config button before it worked. You can see it acknowledge (or not) that it has more than one button if you watch IDE logging when you hit config.

Apparently the trick is after discovering the device and having the correct Device Handler, you need to setup something/anything for that device with the “mattjfrank : ZWN-SC7 Button Controller” smartapp. As soon as I did that the icon changed, it started reporting in Live Logging, the lights behaved correctly, and even after removing the smartapp I was then able to use Rule Machine to setup the buttons.

There must be something in that smart app that reconfigures the device.

Thanks for all the tips!

So I’m another one with the one button only functionality. I get the two lines in live logging:

05702e49-97c0-41cb-a1c6-b33627b9b715 ‎3‎:‎54‎:‎32‎ ‎PM: debug Parsing 'zw device: 58, command: 7205, payload: 01 1A 08 01 0B 03 ’

05702e49-97c0-41cb-a1c6-b33627b9b715 ‎3‎:‎54‎:‎32‎ ‎PM: debug Sending configuration: [7204, delay 100, 8505, delay 100, 2D01010100, delay 100, 2D01020200, delay 100, 2D01030300, delay 100, 2D01040400, delay 100, 2D01050500, delay 100, 2D01060600, delay 100, 2D01070700, delay 100]

I’ve un-paired/re-paired no less than 2 dozen times with variations of already having the device type installed vs. changing it over after. No I’m only about 8’ from my hub with a mesh of about 30-35 devices in the house and having been recently rebuilt and I also recently did the disable all automations and repair 3 times in a row with no actions in between.

No matter which way I try it, the configure only gives the one button and the smartapp only recognizes the one button. Not sure what else to try.

Hi Bruce,

Thank you for supporting the Scene Controller - Rule Machine is awesome!

I am trying to change the color of 3 LIFX bulbs with the Scene controller and Rule Machine…It lets me do the trigger - but only actually changes the color for the first bulb…It creates the Action: Color: Lifx 1, LIFX 2, LIFX 3 Daylight Level: 100 - but only changes the color of “Lifx 1” to Daylight. Any Ideas what I am doing wrong?

Thanks,

Mark

Hello all. I am new to ST use though I have been adding a lot to devices and things have been working well for me. I am just getting started with using customer device handlers and SmartApps. I purchased a ZWN-SC7 and have gotten the device into my system. I also created the SmartApp using the code and published it for me. At that point though the SmartApp doesn’t appear in the iPhone ST app and isn’t offered as a SmartApp when I go to the ZWN-SC7 Enerwave 7 Button Scene Controller in things and try to associate it with a SmartApp. I have tried several times to close the iPhone app and restart but the SmartApp never appears.

I suspect it has something to do with the creation of the SmartApp in the IDE. From what I have read though, the create process worked as expected and the SmartApp appears in the IDE.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Goto the marketplace in the iOS app and click on smartapps. Then scroll down to my apps at the very bottom and look for your app. Once you have it configured for the first time then it will show up in your list of installed smartapps.