ZWN-SC7 Enerwave 7 Button Scene Controller

Hi guys,

A) I was using an older version of this DTH from around March 2016 (whatever was the latest then). Recently I noticed I was getting multiple push events triggered in webCoRE for the same button. IOW I’d push button 1 first and it would receive one push even, and then a 2nd one just a second later. Was that a known issue? I’ve updated to the latest DTH in the Github and that seems to have stopped so that is good, unless this is just a coincidence and the issue will start up again?

B) Also after updating to this version of the DTH I noticed that instead of just a “pushed” trigger in webCoRE, I know have a “held” trigger. That’s great. However I can’t get the trigger to fire for held. I tried holding as long as 10 seconds but it never fired. Can someone explain this capability? Ideally I’d like to define held as being say 1.5 seconds, if its configurable?

C) Is there a way in webCoRE to do something like “if button 7 is pushed TWICE within 2 Seconds THEN”?

Thanks!

Update to my prior post: In some situations I still get two back to back push events on the same key when just pushing it once. Anyone know why?

I currently don’t use one of these, but I did do a lot of work in the past on a software debounce but I believe it was implemented at a SmartApp level for reasons I can’t remember. A couple of my SmartApps have it in there I think. So yes, the double press problem is a known issue.

The device doesn’t support “held” events as far as I know. Not sure why you are seeing those. It would be extremely hard to program the thing you are requesting in C because of the timing of things being processed in the cloud.

i just got this and im unable to get it to connect to my ST Hub. any help would be greatly appreciated.

I’m wondering if anyone experienced hub issues caused by this device?

My zwave devices stopped responding to commands around 6 weeks ago - they were updating/polling correctly, but any commands sent from the app were not executing, eg manually pressing my wall switches updated in the app, but they would not actuate when controlled from the app. Also the hub was not responding to utility commands, eg reboots & network repairs were not showing up in the logs.

I had no choice but to get a new hub and migrate my whole setup, testing each device as I added it in. When I got to transferring the enerwave scene controllers (I have 4) - boom - the hub issues came up again instantly. So I excluded all 4 of them, and voila, everything was fine again.

So how to troubleshoot this? I’ve had these controllers a good 2 years until something must have changed sometime in December - is this a hub firmware change that suddenly stopped playing nice with legacy dth? I’ve been using @mattjfrank DTH. But is it really that this 1 device (or the DTH) can screw up the hub?

Recently I started getting THREE button press events when a button is pressed just one time. I worked around the problem from June of last year (discussed above) by adding a delay and ignoring any button events that happen within 2 seconds of another one. But now that delay is no longer enough. I can increase it to 5 seconds, but this is pretty cludgy. Wondering if there is a better approach here, or perhaps a newer/updated Enerwave 7 zone scene controller. Or perhaps there are now better options in the market that I could replace this with?

I haven’t used the ZWN-SC7 for a long time. They were going to release a follow up 8-button version, but it didn’t make it to market.

Inovelli (who I now work for) has an in-wall solution that we will be releasing in the next few months. So keep an eye on the forums. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks. The Inovelli website says that some scene controllers will be available within the next week or two. Any pictures of these available? What will be out in the next few months then, if those are coming out any moment? 6, 7, 8 button versions?

Some general questions please:

1. Will these have their own device type or work of the generic SmartThings device types?

2. Will these support double-presses? What type of configuration options will there be?

3. Will it be available in black? I have a black rectangle square face plate, but I’m more concerned about the buttons. Definitely need black in my case. If not available in black, do you think the buttons could be spray painted? I wonder how well that would hold up over time with people pressing the buttons.

4. Will there be one over-sized button? I really like that about the Enerwave. I use the large button at the bottom as a on/off toggle, and then have the other 6 buttons set up to do various functions via webCORE pistons.

Thank you.

Please start a new thread under connected things to discuss the Inovelli devices. Thanks. :sunglasses:

https://community.smartthings.com/c/devices-integrations/connected-things

2 Likes

When I send configuration to ZWN-SC7 using the custom handlers mattjfrankMatt, it shows in the log to always send the same data/string even if I change the config. It’s sending:

[7204, delay 100, 8505, delay 100, 2D01010100, delay 100, 2D01020200, delay 100, 2D01030300, delay 100, 2D01040400, delay 100, 2D01050500, delay 100, 2D01060600, delay 100, 2D01070700, delay 100]

Of course, then when I click a button on the device nothing happen, also cannot see any trace of the click in the log. Please advice.

Hello, sorry to message you in this thread, but can’t figure out how to contact you in the ZRC-90 thread. Several of us have had that controller quick working in the last week or so. Your device handler seems to be working fine, but the enhanced button controller does not work. Did you write that? Any suggestions for us? Thanks for all your great work!
Brent

I did not write that app. Smart Lighting is what I would usually use with button devices.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. Looks like smart Lighting provides on/off, but doesn’t provide light level control. I was using it to be able to set a lamp to variable brightnesses.

I had device handler and button controler loaded for several years working fine, then upgraded to new app a few months ago, then just had a hub update and now the controller is dead.

Cleared it from new ST app, factory reset cont ZWN-SC7 (hold big button till flashing, then top right, middle right, then bottom right, then big button, it flashes and should be reset).

Pick the + button from the new app to add, then scan nearby option (cause it don’t show up as a recognized device), then put device into inclusion mode (big button till flashing, then top left, middle left, then bottom left, all show flashing slow), app says scanning, but controler won’t connect?

Lastest drivers:

ZWN-SC7 Enerwave 7 Button Scene Controller
Date Created: 2014-12-18
Last Updated: 2017-05-10 update DT to support pushed as @ady624

Button Controller App for ZWN-SC7
Date Created: 2014-12-18
Last Updated: 2015-11-14

After clearing smart app and device handler and all copies of the device from the new app, factory reseting the app, powering it’s circuit breaker off for 30 secs, then loading the base device handler and smart app from the mfg, it did recognize good, but it only assignes button 1, all other buttons will not program.

No other smart app or device handler would recognize, heres the ones that worked for button 1 only:

sent email to company for support…

Is there any multiple switch on the market like this that works with ST?

I’m in the same quandary. I keep thinking about the Brilliant device as a replacement, but the cost is a bit salty…

Well, looks like you did write the enhanced button controller…but you’ve written so many you forgot!

Button Controller - Enhanced Lighting

@BrentB LOL, yeah I did create that. I thought you were talking about ABC (Advanced Button Controller) for some reason. I haven’t used Button Controller - Enhanced Lighting for years as I have been using the SmartThings provided “Smart Lighting”.

Re: # Enerwave ZWN-SC7 Z-Wave Scene Controller 7-Button Switch

So, I’ve got five of these installed and been working for years @ approx $25 each I’d like to know if smartthings has just made them obsolete with the new fantastic app?

I’ve spent a ton of money and years of time in three houses with smartthings are now all a complete joke. Trying to get things barely working is now a full time job.

Thanks Smartthings, not sure how your programming team sleeps at night knowing how much of a disaster this “upgraded” app is compared to the classic app. +1 for bug fixing job security. All you new users will never know how great it was and will just think THIS is as good as smarthomes get. With New smartthings, Answer is yes until the next time the rug is pulled under our feet.

So sad.

If anyone has a solution to get my 7 button scene controllers back online I’ll happily send you a Starbucks GC

Similar frustration with the ZRC-90, fortunately I only have one of these, now half working thanks to the forum members and many hours trying to get this and my Hue remotes working again.

What is the issue with Samsung and these buttons, I noticed only 2 officially supported devices, Samsungs own button and Aurora AU-A1ZBRC