ZWN-RSM2 Create a new device type

I’m using Matt’s code along with a new custom smart app for associating the two load switches with standalone devices which can be integrated with other SmartThings components for automation, etc. I made only minor updates to Matt’s code, trying in vain to work around the same Android bugs he saw… still no real luck. However, it all works, and by integrating with On/Off Button tiles, for instance, you can avoid using the device UI directly, and instead control the loads as separate lights, etc.

To use:

1. Associate the RSM2 as normal - it will initially show up as a Zwave Switch

2. Via the SmartThings IDE:
    a. Create a new device type, pasting in the device code from the above repository
    b. Change the device type for your RSM2 to use the new device type just added
    c. Create a new Smart App, pasting in the Smart App code from the above repository
    d. Create two new devices, each of the type “On/Off Button Tile” (you could use other switch-like devices, but these work well for me). These will be your virtual devices to represent and control the two loads on the RSM2 independently

3. From the SmartThings mobile app:
    a. Add an instance of the new app from “My Apps” in the GUI.
    b. Configure the app with the three devices referenced in step 2b and 2d above

Now you can control both loads as if they were single switches.

1. (optional) Edit the “Lights and Switches” settings to add new dashboard elements associated with your two On/Off Button tiles

Notes:

• When controlling via Zwave, the status of the loads should update relatively quickly throughout the system.
  • If you hook up external switches to the “aux” inputs 1 and 2 of the RSM2, the status of load #1 will update more “real-time” than load #2. Consider this when choosing which output to use for a given load. The Enerwave device only sends an unsolicited report for load #1, which prompts a poll to get the status fairly quickly (<~10 seconds). However, Load 2 physical state changes do not send a report. To get around this, my smartapp schedules a refresh every 1 minute, which eventually filters through the system. This seems to be the most granular timing SmartThings will really support at this time.
4 Likes