ZWAVE TOOLBOX for $189 instead of $249!

(Alex) #1

Battery operated Zwave vs hardwired Zwave
(Realy Living Dream) #2

For those actually interested here’s the link
https://www.zwaveproducts.com/z-wave-toolbox

For those who aren’t sure what this is, it’s a network diagnostic tool intended for professional installers.

The Z-Wave Toolbox allows Z-Wave network installers to troubleshoot common issues such as interference, range issues, weak links and connected-device placement. The Z-Wave Toolbox also allows stress testing of Z-Wave networks in residential and commercial environments and produces colored Network Health Symbols (NHS) that indicate current performance.

A flexible and inexpensive web-based device, the self-contained Z-Wave Toolbox will work with any operating system in addition to smart phones and tablets. The Z-Wave Toolbox contains three major applications:
The Network Health Tester: Determines link stability, quality of service, latencies and helps troubleshoot, optimize and deploy Z-Wave networks.
The Z-Wave Packet Analyzer: Allows dealers to see Z-Wave traffic, and it helps troubleshoot connections, while identifying abnormal device operation, and it pinpoints weak spots.
The Spectrum Analyzer: Scans frequencies close to Z-Wave frequencies to check for any interference.

It’s not intended for individual users, but if you willing to pay the price, there’s a lot of information there. :sunglasses:

(Alex) #4

Thanks @RLDreams and @JDRoberts for filling in the blanks in my very excited post :slight_smile:

I have been wanting one for a while but not willing to spend $249 but at $189 I pulled the trigger in a matter of minutes. We’ll see if I can figure out what causes my network to go in total upheaval every so often with this tool in my arsenal.

Several people asked me what the set up requirements are for this. I would suggest reading the user manual, but the essential idea is that this is a small box which includes a Z wave radio, Wi-Fi radio And ethernet connection. Some of the advanced features are only available when it is using the wired ethernet connection.

You will connect it to its own Wi-Fi and to your own Z wave controller wirelessly.

Ideally you also connect it to your ethernet by cable.

And you need to have a “monitoring device,“ typically a laptop on the same ethernet network that you cabled the toolbox to, but if you’re only using the Wi-Fi features it can be anything that has a web browser, including a phone or a tablet.

So once it’s connected to everything, the toolbox has access to your zwave network and its own Wi-Fi network.

You will run the utilities and see the results on your own “monitoring device.“

Monitoring Device
This could be any device (smart phone, tablet, laptop, etc) that you use to connect to the ToolBox. The ToolBox is web-based so it will work with any internet browser. Your connection is via WiFi or a CAT5 Ethernet cable

User manual:

https://www.zwaveproducts.com/_literature_174029/ZWaveProducts_ToolBox_User’s_Manual

(ZWaveProductsHelp) #6

Thanks for the clarification JDRoberts;

I’m from ZWaveProducts, and I’m here if you want me to answer any questions.

Essentially, the Z-Wave ToolBox has internal WiFi. You find the SSID of the ToolBox on your tablet (monitoring device) and connect. Trigger an generic Z-Wave inclusion from the Z-Wave Controller or Panel you want to troubleshoot, and the ToolBox will list the devices, allowing you to test them.

We made the ToolBox to run on our WiFi, which is self-contained (so you can go to a job site and not worry about client’s WiFi).

Ethernet connections are mostly to update firmware.

For those considering the purchase, read the User Manual, check out the videos on our site (more coming) and let us know if you have any more questions.

Thanks again JDRoberts. I hope this helps get some questions off your lap.

Thanks for the correction! I’ve updated my post above. :sunglasses:

(zeen) #8

@JDRoberts, are you aware of any alternatives to the Z-Wave ToolBox for troubleshooting Smartthings network issues and/or viewing topology?

Not for the DIY market. There are other installer tools, but they’re usually part of a total kit which is much more expensive and complex.

If all you want is to view topology, you can just add a zstick as a secondary:

(Alex) #10

Zwave Toolbox down to $189 again!