Zwave Power Strip from AEON

This is phenomenal. It’s much easier to setup the power strip than what I had cobbled together. I’m curious what device type are you using for the power strip and if you mind sharing it?

I noticed a few of issues:

1. When initially installed, the power state of the virtual switches shows %s instead of the actual power state. Toggling power state fixes the issue, but it would be nice if the power state displayed correctly without needing to toggle the switches.
  2. The custom icons on the virtual switches are not rendering on my Android devices.
  3. The lastOn and lastOff values were not showing on the virtual tiles. I just submitted a pull request to fix this issue.
1 Like

So I added the power strip is a z-wave metering switch using my android app. I then installed the smartapp by @cooperglee and created the virtual switches. But I am not able to control the individual switches. I can see them as things, and the state turn on and off, but they don’t actually turn on or off.

What am I doing wrong here?

Also, I have the same issues to report as @notoriousbdg.

Try changing the device type for your power switch to https://github.com/notoriousbdg/SmartThings.Aeon-Labs-Smart-Strip/blob/master/Aeon-Labs-Smart-Strip.device-type.groovy. It works OK, but tile updates arent very reliable. I’m hopeful that the device type that @cooperglee is working on makes thing even better.

New device-type is available on github. MultiSwitch has also been updated to take advantage of some of the new features:

• All power for switches and outlets lineup (Outlets 1&2, Switches 1-4 - to Power & Energy 1-6)
• Power for the whole strip and All On/Off capability
• Outlet1 has sensing capability and switches switch5 on/off when it detects power (also configurable)
(Useful for devices that go into power savings mode like TVs - can turn your lights on/off when you turn on/off the TV)
• Outlet 2 does the same as Outlet1, however, it is very latent and not predictable - VERY LAME!!
• Preferences allows for All On/Off to be toggled - this effects the ALL on/off for Z-Wave remote controls
• Use the configure button once installed !! Sets updates to 15 seconds and a variety of other things. Very important!
• Added fingerprint so it will automatically come up if you add the Aeon Strip to your hub (i.e. install device-type first)

Please enjoy - I also updated the MultiSwitch to Virtual Tiles app to include up to switch7… Anyone that is using it can just add the three additional switches by replacing :
‘aeon4’: [ “switch”:“Power Strip”, “switch1”:“SW Outlet 1”, “switch2”:“SW Outlet 2”, “switch3”:“SW Outlet 3”, “switch4”:“SW Outlet 4”, “switch5”:“Outlet 1”, “switch6”:“Outlet 2”, “switch7”:“All SW Outlets”],
in the “def templates()” section

Link to new device-type:

App and vTiles device type:

4 Likes

This is great. Thanks!

The configure button isn’t working on my Android though.

Outlet 2 Seems to be working OK now?? Both update in the log as often as values are received

Can you send something from the log file from when you press the button… Or does it just do nothing?

Here’s the log:

10:53:48 AM: debug SW All - 0 null
10:53:48 AM: debug Executing ‘configure’

Works great except for the configure button within the SmartApp. Using Android

Sorry if I missed this in the thread but is there a way to only turn on/off one of the 4 switches at a set time of day?

When trying to setup an action I can only see the powerstrip as a whole and not as individual outlets to select.

I just got SmartThings a week ago so I’m having some difficulty understanding how everything works together.

The easiest way if you don’t want to write a SmartApp is to use this tool (link attached) to give you discrete control over each/any of the switches you would like. Have you installed the updated device-type? The app will not work with the device-type that it automatically gets (Z-Wave Switch) from ST. I am attaching a link to the device-type for you also… In case you have not ever installed a device-type it is fairly simple: 1.) copy the “raw” contents of the link to your clipboard 2.) in the ST IDE create a new device-type - select create from code from the menu list 3.) paste the contents and click save. Once you have added the device-type to your ST account you can now navigate to “devices” and select your power strip, then click edit, and select the new device-type in the device-type drop down - it will be near the bottom. Good luck and enjoy!

2 Likes

Thanks @cooperglee

I’ve followed your steps exactly and am able to see each individual outlet and watts being used (awesome by the way). Where I’m having trouble is figuring out how to control only one socket via an action item.

Example…Motion detector detects movement, turn on outlet 3 (only).

When I go to create an action I can select the motion detector I want to use but I can’t setect the individual outlet (#3). It only gives me the option to select the entire power strip.

Same thing happens if I try and bind an individual outlet to a virtual on/off tile. I can only select the entire power strip and not the individual outlet.

Use this app above to create the virtual tiles for you - it binds into the device-type to pull out the other switches. It also allows you to have “Outlet1 and Outlet2” which are unswitched on the power strip but become ST switches when there is load on them - as I have mentioned before Outlet2 is a little flaky…

That should help - let me know if you need some additional clarity

1 Like

Thanks again @Cooperglee,

I got it working (great SmartApp) as you described.

My mistake was that I was trying to add your (Multiswitch-device-to-Multiple-Switches) code in the “My Device Types” instead of “My SmartApps”. I was assuming that this code was a generic version of the “AeonSmartStrip-deviceType.groovy” code you posted a few messages back. Once i realize that they were 2 totally different things i was able to set them up properly.

For future reference, do you have written step by step instructions on how to set this up? If not (and you don’t mind) I’d like to write some instructions, have you review them, and then post them so that others who are new to SmartThings can have an easier time setting getting these Aeon Smart Strips up and running the way they want.

3 Likes

how do I see the power/energy info from switches 1-4. I can control the on/off states, but don’t see how to do the same for power/energy

Please do! I will happily include them on GitHub also! That would be great!

I am guessing you mean within the virtual tiles from “MultiSwitch-device-to-Multiple-Switches”… I have not created the elements within the vTile device-type for those two data points, nor the subscription in the SmartApp… If there is demand for this feature I will be happy to build it in - not too much code - how many likes do we get for adding these features?

9 Likes

@cooperglee
I have successfully installed your device-type and smart app codes. I can now control the smart strip outlets individually. I really appreciate those contributions you have made that allowed me to save lots of time and find the right solution.

2 Likes

Great Thread!!

Can someone post a Screen-Shot of this working app?

Thanks!!