Zwave Device on 2 Controllers

…and associated with 2 physical devices.

So, I have a Zwave 12724 dimmer. It was added to Hubitat days ago.

All of my Zwave devices dropped from ST a couple days before that, and I’ve been gradually excluding and re-adding them to ST because a simply rejoin wasn’t working and ST Support was unable to help.

Last night, I was adding my CT101, and couldn’t get it to pair. Then, a GE In-wall Dimmer appeared. Confused, since all should be pair to ST or HE already, I saved it to see what it was. It turns out that it was my Hall lights that are already on HE.

I could easily control the device from ST and it was working properly with HE Motion Lighting App and could be controlled from the HE portal.

Of course, wanting to glitch more devices this way, I started digging a bit to no avail. However, I noticed in ST IDE that the device registered with the manufacturer: Radio Thermostat Company of America (RTC). Hmmmm…

So, I changed the DTH to the CT100 driver in the IDE. I was now able to control the thermostat that I’d been trying to re-include in ST for 2 days.

How can one device control 2 devices and be associated with 2 controllers?

It sounds like you’ve managed to add one of your hubs to the other network as a secondary instead of having two separate zwave networks with one primary each.

Get the folks on the hubitat forum to help you take a look at your current SUC and SIS settings.

(BTW, in the future if you want to move a device from SmartThings to hubitat it would be a good idea to turn off your SmartThings hub before you start the other include process.)

1 Like

Thanks @JDRoberts. That was my logical assumption (though a bit scary since it was unintended) from being able to control from both.

What still isn’t explained is how I can control 2 separate physical devices in ST by swapping DTHs. Any ideas?

So, after having my dual device fun, I removed the device via the ST IDE. I then paired it properly for ST as the thermostat.

Immediately, a device appeared in as discoverable in the Hubitat Zwave Info. I was able to apply the correct driver and control the thermostat with no issues.

So, they are both on the same Zwave network, and devices are only correctly shared from ST to Hubitat, since the one Hubitat->ST device was some sort of glitch.

NOTE: Events are not shared across hubs, and each must poll the device to be made aware of state changes.

1 Like

It sounds like you were able to add hubitat to smartthings as a secondary controller which hubitat support said can’t be done. I’m going to buy one now because I need to replace staples connect and keep smartthings as primary!

I apologize for responding to this so late. Hopefully, it’s not TOO late.

What actually happened was I had ST join the Hubitat Zwave network. The problem with this is that:

1. ST does not play well as a secondary. It only theoretically works well IF the primary can transfer/copy/replicate to ST so that ST can become primary.
  2. HE does not have any way to transfer primary role.
  3. There was some quirky behavior having both on the same network.

What I ended up doing was planning out two separate Zwave and Zigbee networks with devices remaining on ST that either couldn’t be moved to HE, didn’t require local processing or needed control that can’t be executed through HE.

An example of what stayed on ST is my Lightify RGBW bulbs and LED strip. HE simply doesn’t have the level of control of these devices that works in my household.

1 Like

Great info thanks! I haven’t ordered yet so incompatibly is averted. Looks like I’ll go the Lutron pro bridge route with a raspberry pi in-between to get my pico remotes working.

1 Like