Zooz ZSE40 4-1 Motion Sensor and other Zooz devices (ZSE01, ZSE02)

Aha… now it’s started to update. I think it just take a looooong time for it to train itself. I wonder if I need to increase the sensitivity to get it to trigger more often? The values are also getting picked up correctly by Octoblu since last night. The only remaining question (for now!) is if it’s possible to turn off the flashing lights on the Zooz ZE40 so that it could operate stealthily? According to the manual, this should be possible.
Thanks again!
–Tobias

Depends on which Device handler you are using. There should be a setting under preference that has No LED, Quick Blink and something else that I dont recall :slight_smile:

Change your preference and quickly insert a pin in the hole at the bottom of the sensor. This way the changes should take effect immediately.

Thanks for the feedback @tkreidl. As mentioned by @cdikland, the settings are presented differently in device handlers available out there but it’s definitely possible to turn the LED off by adjusting value in parameter 7 to 1 (it’s set to 3 by default). If you let us know who the author of the handler is, we’ll get in touch with them and ask for this feature to be added to the interface of the handler.

The sensor needs to be woken up every time you change settings (you can do that by pressing and releasing the Z-Wave button with a paper clip), otherwise any changes will not be recorded until the sensor wakes up automatically which may take up to 6 hours.

2 Likes

What are the differences between the temp as primary and motion as primary dth?

Also what are the preferences 1-7? My temp reads high and I’d like to adjust.

@Scott_Barton the parameters are the thresholds for reporting. How many degrees (in tents so 50 is 5 degrees) or how many percent for humidity and light, have to change before the sensor will send out a notification. This prevents the sensor from being too noisy but let’s you have control. The more often you send readings the less you batteries will last.

The difference between motion primary and temp primary is simply which reading the big main tile represents in the detail view and in the list of devices what is represented. Personally I like the temperature primary so I can see the conditions inside my home. I use motion solely for triggering events. I provide two options so you don’t have to alter code. One day I hope Samsung will give us the option to pick which is which in an easier fashion.

Hi… YOU gave me the link to the device handler, so that’s the code!The author is listed as Robert Vanderwoort in it (the linke is: http://www.thesmartesthouse.com/blogs/the-smartest-blog/how-to-install-a-custom-device-handler-in-smartthings) and actually, the easiest it occurred to me is to take a look at the code itself.

The result is that the parameter is called “LEDbehavior” and it’s set to be “Quick Blink on Temp/PIR” as the default. In the code, I see:

input "LEDbehavior", "enum",
		title: "LED Behavior",
		options: ["LED Off", "Breathing", "Quick Blink on Temp/PIR"],

which simply means you pick one of these with the editor. If all should be off, then “LED Off” is the choice.

So you go to https://graph-na02-useast1.api.smartthings.com/device/list and click on the “My Devices” tab and click on the name of the device under ‘Display Name’ (“zooZ 4-in-1 sensor - RV 1.2)” in this case). Edit the configuration as shown in the attachment

to one of the ‘LED Behavior’ potions above and save the changed settings.

Just tested it and it works as expected – no blinking lights and hopefully not that annoying blink every 10 minutes or so check, either. :slight_smile:

Cheers,
–Tobias

2 Likes

Holy cow this thread got long. Not sure why I wasn’t getting notifications or I would have responded earlier but j guess because I didn’t start the post. I’m big on supporting stuff I write though so…

A few concerns j see unaddressed. Motion reaction time… Laundry room j think it was @JvH. You are best off getting something like a Litron Maestro wall switch / motion / presence sensor. Not because there is anything wrong with the zooZ sensor but it is a discreet device not tied to a long string of other technologies. It’s also cheaper. I use them in my half bath downstairs, my master closet and my laundry room. They are very configurable with all kinds of options. And did j mention cheaper? Five seconds to react with SmartThings is about average. Last week j had a several minute lag in everything then stuff would happen all at once. I think because they were doing updates but am not sure.

As for the motion reset issue. Yes the lower you set it the more noisy it is. For places where motion is uncommon, lower settings are great. Like a hallway you pass through occasionally or something. For normally occupied areas a much longer setting generally makes more sense. This is because the rules you use based on the motion state make sense in these conditions. Let the sensor respond slowly to save battery life and make the app controlling the lights act immediately. You get the same result but better life. As far as the sensor is concerned, I changed default wakeip interval to way longer I believe 24 hours now (I need to check). This has resulted in me getting more than a month of battery life out of my rechargeables. Yay! Wakeip apparently is pretty hard on batteries. And, there’s no point in wakeip because unless you are trying to push a setting change it serves no purpose. So when you change any setting in my code, the fact you want to send the condiguration updates to the sensor is stored so the next time it wakes up the setting will be sent and a fresh, full sensor set polling will happen. If you don’t want to wait which most do not, just poke the action button via the hole on the bottom ( the one kind of by itself).

Any other questions about my handler give me a shout.

R

3 Likes

Thanks for all your work putting together that code, Robert, and it works great. It’s pretty self-documenting, as well. I also noticed you have the “acceleration” parameter disabled, which makes sense I suppose if device is mounted in a fixed location. Might be useful if someone tries to steal it! :slight_smile: Having to wait something like 6 hours for a device to sync up is insane, though! That really threw me for a loop.

I wanted to ask how accurate the battery ratings are? See also the transformer note below.

I do agree most settings are fine in the 5% range, excepting perhaps temperature, so I compromised for now on 20 (= 2 F). In most indoor places, that won’t change that drastically unless it’s in the sun or a non heated.cooled room. I thought about getting a transformer and wiring it up and having the batteries just as a backup power source, as well. It must pull a very low load, I’d think, so you could get away with some pretty skinny wires and a small transformer.

As to cost, well, you start getting multiple devices and suddenly your savings are gone. Or look at a smart wall mount socket (like GE) instead of a plug in module if you’re not planning to move it around for about half the cost.

The other driving force was the ability to integrate well with Octoblu and so far, that’s gone well.

Best regards,
–Tobias

1 Like

I replaced the zooz sensor with a Smartthings motion sensor and now the lights come on instantly. The zooz sensor is now in place somewhere else in the house where immediate response to motion is not needed. Sorry Robert, but 5 seconds is definitely not the norm.

The Zooz ZSE40 seems to react to motion almost immediately on the default setting. I plan to monitor just the entryway areas so there should not be a lot of extraneous traffic to trigger it often.

Note added: What’s this max of a limit to 3 replies nonsense? Trying to have meaningful dialogs here and this arbitrary cut-off crops up. Not a good thing if you wnat people to engage in meaningful conversions.

Sure as I write this SmartThings has gotten quite responsive. The last couple days I’ve been able to control things almost instantly. A few laggy commands here or there but much faster overall. Different folks experience it differently because they of course use different data centers and different servers to serve different markets and different time zones etc. I also made some changes to my mesh by adding a switch downstairs and removing one of my aeon sensors (stole the kids bookcase). Heh. So yeah anyhow. Five seconds for a direct command is pretty slow but you gotta take into consideration what the signal has to travel through to get to your hub, the path to the cloud servers, getting processed in the smartapp and then the command to turn on the lights coming back down that same path. I would say 2 seconds is amazing. I have an Aeon gen 5 multi in my en suite and a rule set to dim up the lights if it sees motion after goodnight has been issued. The idea is improved aim… The sensor can see through the bathroom door into my bedroom and walking by the doorway triggers it. Generally by the time I make it across my bathroom to where aim becomes important the lights come on. Sometimes they come on when I’m leaving already. It’s not incredibly predictable. That’s just been my experience. Consider the Aaron and zooZ sensor both run in the same Z-wave modules from Sigma Designs so they are equally capable processor wise. They have similar PIR elements too. So in effect they should behave nearly identically. I can show you the signal output if you really want to see it on my RTL-SDR when there is a motion event. Both units (if the Aeon runs on battery) have a super brief delay as they fire up before the signal is transmitted. It sounds like a little digital fart. The Aeons is slightly longer because of the encryption junk. The more repeating devices the signal bounces through to get home to the hub, the longer it takes and the more little farts you hear. That said my house is a near constant stream of 908 MHz digital flatulence. I have my hub centrally located so there is never more than one extra hop between hub and device. Anyway sorry I guess I felt like writing a novel. Damn cold medicine :slight_smile:

I’m new to this how and where do you import this code to make the Zooz motion sensor work with smart things

You can search this forum for topics related to installing custom device handlers, people have already posted walk-throughs. Or check out the community-created wiki, which might be higher yield for you if you’re not at all familiar with ST.

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/

I’m new could you point me in the right direction . I’m seeing stuff about codes . I need to know how to input them

So I installed the Zooz Sensor and everything is reporting nicely, but can someone explain to me the reporting threshold for temp, humidity and luminance. I don’t understand what the base numbers of 50, 1, and 5 mean for those and what happens when I change them and if I should even change them. Eventually, I want to be able to turn on lights when the door sensor is open but only when the illuminance is set at a certain level. In Smarthings, i can set the illuminance but the default is 10000. How can I set the sensor so that it can correlate to the numbers in Smarthings. Thx in advance…yeah i’m new

The base numbers are differnet. 50 is the incremental step in tenths of a degree applied to temperature, so 50 = 5 degrees, 10 = 1 degree, 5 = 0.5 degrees and so on. For humidity and luminance, the numbers prepresent the percent change, so 5 = 5%, 1 = 1%, etc. The “luminance” goes from 0.00 to 100.00%, not to 10000, as does also the humidity.

I cannot for the life of me get this thing to pair, I’ve tried 3 feet from my SmartThings hub to right on top of it. I have tried to exclude it and then join it. The hub never detects a new device no matter how many times I hit the ZWave button on the bottom. Anyone have any tips that could help? I was able to get a ZWave door sensor to connect, so I know it’s not anything to do with the SmartThings.

It took literally overnight for me to see this connect properly, so I’d try just leaving it for a number of hours and see if it then miraculously shows up. I ran into this, as well. Make sure you have good, fresh batteries – the ones that come with modules are often stale and weak.

I bought a Zooz 4-1 from Amazon and could not get it to pair at all - it was an obvious return, as the batteries were gone but the battery shrink wrap remained. I got another one and it paired on the first try and has been working great with RBoy’s device handler.

1 Like

Hi @Crew, we posted a step-by-step tutorial on how to install a custom device handler for the Zooz sensor here: http://www.thesmartesthouse.com/blogs/the-smartest-blog/how-to-install-a-custom-device-handler-in-smartthings

Let us know if you have any questions!