Zooz 4-in-1 Sensor (ZE40) Lux Reading w/ RBoy DTH

devicetype

Does anyone have this working reliably? I have 6 Zooz sensors all using the RBoy DTH and I’ve found the lux readout is just garbage. It’s middle of the night, dark outside, and one sensor is showing 80lux. Next to it another sensor shows 35lux. During the day when it’s nice and bright out, the first sensor often shows between 45 - 70 lux and the second between 60 - 80. Is it the sensor or DTH that’s not working right? I haven’t found one of the sensors to be remotely consistent yet.

(Michael) #2

Tagging @rboy and @TheSmartestHouse for their input.

(www.rboyapps.com - Make your home your butler!) #3

The sensors report the number in % which is then converted to lux. 100% light equates to 80 lux, so you’ll never see anything above 80 lux. (again these approximations based on tests and manufacturer specifications and not a 100% accurate as the device is reporting the light level in %'s and not lux).
You can change the settings from the preferences menu to choose between the native % and translated lux and see which metric works better for you. There is also a known issue with some devices (firmware) where when it does totally dark it reports a 100% level. Sometimes a reset helps or you could request a replacement device.
100% mean the light sensor is saturated so it’s best to use them indoors as a proxy for external lighting conditions. E.g. mount them above a window facing away so that the level of lights reaching them are reduced (reflected or dispersed) and that tends to be more accurate than placing them in direct light or very bright conditions.

Also check your Light Sensitivity settings (too sensitive may reduce battery life, not so sensitive may take more time to update, for testing purposes you can make all sensors highly sensitive and compare the readings).

As for the getting stuck, try this, the next time it’s stuck, press the button in the pin hole at the bottom of the sensor (this forces the sensor to send a refresh). If you see that the value is now reported correctly then this indicates that you sensor is too far away from the nearest Z-Wave repeater and likely the last update was lost in the mesh somewhere. Try adding a repeater or two between the sensors to make the mesh stronger and resilient.
If the value doesn’t update then the sensor may be “stuck”, usually a simple reset works to fix this. See this post on how to reset the sensor

FACTORY RESET: Remove the cover and press and release the Z-Wave button with a pin (tiny hole at the bottom of of the sensor) 10 times within 10 seconds.

Usually doing a reset often helps with inconsistent readings

(Lee Florack) #4

Addressing your one sensor that shows the 80 LUX reading (fully bright - it never reads above 80) when it’s completely dark out:
I have only one of these sensors and it acts like yours too. It’s readings are very consistent otherwise - and it always reads 80 when it’s completely dark out too, so I’ve programmed (webCoRE) around that issue by checking the standard Weather Tile’s readings. If that reading conflicts with the Zooz sensor, I use the Weather Tile’s readings. With that in place, I effectively run a lot of lights and other actions within my home based on the Zooz’s readings.

Since I only have the one Zooz 4-in-1 sensor, I cannot comment regarding inconsistency between multiple units but, like I said above, the one I have produces very repeatable readings (even the error) and I’ve been able to use the one I have very effectively to control my home. BTW, I tried multiple resets of my unit and it still reads ‘0’ when it’s almost completely dark and ‘80’ whenever it’s completely dark. YMMV, but you might also have one like mine. If you find a need for it, I can share my webCoRE program.

Good luck!

This definitely doesn’t sound right so we’ll need some additional information and more in-depth troubleshooting to get it resolved. Would you mind getting in touch with our support with the problem?