[OBSOLETE] Zipato / Benext / Wintop RFID Mini Keypad

Yea, I’ve been playing a bit, though I confess I don’t know exactly what I should be looking at. For example I added some debugging statements to the on/off methods but I never see those get called.

I do see that the value is getting set, but an event is not propagating. I figure there are three possible actors; the DH, smartthings, and WebCoRE. One of them must be deciding that since the property value did not change no event needs to propagate.

I believe the WebCoRE folks do not do that.

I guess one thing I could do is add a new custom property to record the timestamp of the last interaction and trigger off that event instead.

Looking to purchase this, can anyone see an issue if i use 2 keypads? apart from adding the fobs to each keypad?

I need one near my front and back door as we enter from either.
thanks

Hellom
I am new here and I installed one system out of 4 I need to replace Iris, I went with the Zipato mini keypad and installed the device handler and I was even able to install the rf keys and name them all , however… When I go and hit away or home and touch rf tag it does nothing with the system, the system in code is showing nothing at all for any actions at all… So if anyone here could please help me with this, I would really appreciate it. I will also need to program delays and such as mentioned above, but all still is greek top me.

Hello Team,

I also begun with the Zipato today. Although I have managed the basics so far, I am now trying to set up automation. Again, only simple stuff. But the Smartthings system don’t seem to recognise an ON or OFF status for the device (as a switch). Although strangely the system does detect a change-of-state from the device (as a switch).

The App returns “NETWORK ERROR: Couldn’t add automation”

I have never seen this before, but having played with ON, OFF or Change-of-State, only Change-of-State actually worked. But obviously this is useless when trying to detect an ON or an OFF to make automation decisions.

Interestingly I can get the device to operate as an ON/OFF switch when testing in the Smart Lighting App in Automation in Smartthings. Just not when trying to do any other automation.

Please can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Has anyone tested with latest App version?

Regards

Question… Before I jump into this device, which seems very promising… any chances it would work with an NFC tag/phone/watch?

My current phone is a Nexus 6, but looking forward all my phones will support NFC I guess…
As a watch I’m currently sporting the Ticwatch Pro with builtin NFC…

If the answer’s yes, I’m jumping right in! :slight_smile:

Hi Batman72,

Smartthings can be tricky to configure correctly. If you’ve managed to program the device, then you must have it basically working. To check that it’s generating the on/off events that it’s supposed to, you can look in the smartthings cloud account, find the device (e.g., Show Location -> List Devices -> pick your zipato device) and then click “list events”. This should show you something like this:

Here you see the “switch” events, with values of “on” or “off”. If that much is working for you, then the device is behaving correctly, and the issue is with how you’ve configured other devices to react to it as a “switch” device. FWIW, I find it’s easiest to start with trying to use it to trigger a bulb or something. Once that’s working, you can expand your rules to do whatever else you want.

I hope that’s some help.
Sean

Hi Danielccm,

The answer is no. The device is only an RFID reader, not NFC. To the best of my knowledge, NFC devices can’t be detected by an RFID reader. In addition, the device’s product materials make no claims about NFC.

If you mainly want to avoid carrying around an RFID tag on your keychain, you might be able to buy a small RFID chip and place it in your phone’s case (I haven’t tried this, so I can’t confirm whether all RFID chips work).

If your goal is to avoid having to manage distribution of RFID tags to all your users, then I understand wanting to authorise phones. Unfortunately, this device isn’t suitable for detecting phone presence.

Sean

@gromit248 Given your question was 5 months ago, I’m afraid you’ve probably moved on or answered it for yourself. However, for the benefit of any other users who are interested, the answer is that there shouldn’t be any problem having multiple Zipato devices installed with this device handler on your network. From the point of view of everything else on your network, they should all just appear to be independent switches.

1 Like

Thanks for the thorough reply! Mainly what I want to avoid is having to dig out anything… be it a phone or a tag or anything like that… I mean… try getting the keys out with a handful of bags AND being stuck on a wheelchair! lol!

So if there were anything that would allow me to just swipe my wristwatch and have it activate the doorlock/door motor… that would be awesome…

That being said, I still find this route cool… if only for my friends/family… no keys needed… so I will probably jump into it anyways! :slight_smile:

will keep you posted on what I do…

If you’re willing to carry more on your wrist, you could attach a RFID keyfob to a wearable wristband. If you are willing to experiment with plain RFID chips (i.e., what’s inside the keyfob), you could probably attach one onto a decent-looking rubber wristband with some Sugru, and end up with something with a low physical profile that looks pretty good too. RFID tags like this are only 6mm in diameter, so you could potentially attach one onto a ring if you wanted (assuming it’s compatible - I’ve only tested regular keyfobs).

Let us know if you end up doing something interesting! I’m sure lots of other users would be interested to know if tiny RFID chips work equally well as the RFID keyfobs.

1 Like

My ideal situation would be NOT having to carry anything… heck, I was even investigating the possibility of implanting an RFID chip into my hand!.. lol!

So yeah, Still got some investigating to do… that micro tag looks promising though! will give it a thought…

Thanks!

EDIT: I was thinking of something along the lines of https://cyberise.me/ or https://store.dangerousthings.com/

Thanks for the help, I will try this later tonight and see what it is showing.

Clint

seanblanchfield

March 26

Hi Batman72,

Smartthings can be tricky to configure correctly. If you’ve managed to program the device, then you must have it basically working. To check that it’s generating the on/off events that it’s supposed to, you can look in the smartthings cloud account, find the device (e.g., Show Location → List Devices → pick your zipato device) and then click “list events”. This should show you something like this:

Here you see the “switch” events, with values of “on” or “off”. If that much is working for you, then the device is behaving correctly, and the issue is with how you’ve configured other devices to react to it as a “switch” device. FWIW, I find it’s easiest to start with trying to use it to trigger a bulb or something. Once that’s working, you can expand your rules to do whatever else you want.

I hope that’s some help.

Sean

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

batman72
Clint Tworek

March 18

Hellom I am new here and I installed one system out of 4 I need to replace Iris, I went with the Zipato mini keypad and installed the device handler and I was even able to install the rf keys and name them all , however… When I go and hit away or home and touch rf tag it does nothing with the syste…

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

)

As I’ve mentioned before, I use an iBeacon on my wheelchair so that I can limit the detection area just to the length of the wheelchair ramp and I avoid the “bus stop problem” where the bus stops on my block but the driver takes a few minutes to get me unloaded. Works well for me, and is totally hands-free. :sunglasses:

There’s discussion of multiple options, including that one, in the presence FAQ. Note, however, that all of these work only with the classic app, as the new app does not allow you to automate unlocking the door. :disappointed_relieved:

Do I smell iOS here? Then it’s a no go for me… I’m an android guy! :frowning:

Otherwise, it would be a great option!

Anyone no if it would be possible to add a function for Arm(Stay) maybe set a code or specific tag to set this mode?

My GF likes to set the alarm of an evening but my away mode turns everything off so hoping there is a way to set and Away(stay) without having to use a phone to do so.

Just saw you posted on this thread too. For anyone else interested in this, I tried to propose a solution to this over here: Xfinity centralite 3400 in the UK?

Hi guys, How do you setup the “arm” and “home” automation. I cannot find the Lights & Switches -> Switch Changes Mode app in my smartthing app (iOS). Thanks!

Hello, newbie to ST here after coming over from Vera. So far a really nice experience!
I have a problem with this device though, I don’t see any tiles or the home/away status on the device in the app. I can only see an on/off icon and some schedule options for on/off.

I’ve set the device handler as the “type” on my keypad device in ICE and I can see all the settings regarding master code, date and so on in the phone app but not the slots for associating tags/codes on the device main page.

Does it only work in the classic app maybe? Thankful for suggestions.

Nooooo! Don’t abandon hope! I’ve used your device handler and it was the best (only?) solution that worked very well. It worked even after the migration, but SmartThings support had me delete my account and re-create it because the account region was wrong and many of my devices were not showing up. With the delete however, even though I added your device handler back on the IDE, when I tap the Home/Away button and put my rfid tag, the light keeps blinking because it doesn’t know what to do with it I suppose. Is there any way to make this work, even if I manually program it or something? I am lost without the Zipato RFID Keypad. :frowning: One thing I noticed is I do still have access to SmartThings classic app but when trying to program it (home, master, home, tag, learn 1), it blinks several times and doesn’t save anything. Tried 20-30 times doing it really fast. Suggestions?

UPDATE: I got it to work. I first had to set SmartThings to exclusion mode following this in the new app, then go to classic app, include, and follow the instructions. Worked beatifully.