Zigbee Irrigation Controller and Moisture Sensors - Eve is now Spruce

@natec007 - This is fantastic. Can’t wait to back your project on Kickstarter!

What ZigBee radio IC are you using, and is it a module with integrated RF circuit, or are you designing the antenna yourself? Any thoughts on the FCC certification process (if needed)? Are you going to have to purchase a OUI from the IEEE Registration Authority? I am asking because those are the things that I am still unclear about with my own project.

@florianz

Your development board looks great! I like the integrated chip solution.

In an effort to avoid antenna design, FCC and MAC purchase, we have modular Digi xbees. However still have FCC test on Eden. With that said, currently looking into migrating to another Zigbee chipset, as long as development won’t take too long.

Definitely function driven for me. I’m in the unfortunate position of having 9 zones. I can’t justify a second controller for just one zone.

@steveganz

That makes sense, we will keep the idea of adding a few more zones on the list.

1 Like

I’m very excited about this project too!

One thought though… I recently saw on Kickstarter a product called Edyn. While not strictly the same product, there is significant overlap. They both deal with moisture sensors, automatic watering, and environmental aspects. The Edyn is more stand alone though, while the Eden looks to be integrated with in ground sprinkling.

Still I’d be a bit worried about possible name issues.

@chrisb

Thank you for the heads up… yeah we saw that over the weekend… we are investigating the name. We will have an update in the next day or so. At this point, the obvious solution to differentiate is to change the name.

With that said, what are your thoughts on the kickstarter Edyn? Price, control, app, etc?

The price seems very high to me. Now, granted, their sensor is also the “hub interface.” But a $100 for one sensor?

Now, perhaps this isn’t a good comparison cause it looks like PlantLink is sorta failing, but with the Plant Link a basic system plus value (that is, three sensors, a base stations, and a value) was $149. With Edyn it’s $250 for a similar system (only two sensors though). That seems way high to me for just two sensor locations and one value.

I understand the cost involved in developing a product like this from scratch and wanting to get your ROI as soon as possible. I think you could see a lot more jumping on board for an early purchase if the price point were somewhere in the $75-99 range with $15-20 a pop for the sensors. (considering I have 5 zones, that would put me at $200 initial investment just to water my plants…)

1 Like

@natec007 I have a suggestion for your sensors. Add a lux sensor to the top so you can see if your plants are getting enough sunlight in their location…and maybe in the future, soil pH?

I like the name change. ‘Eve’ works well I think, especially if the individuals sensors are still called ‘Adam’.

Any idea about when the kickstarter will start?

(Oh, and the last image on the new page still has the ‘Eden’ name on the device.)

1 Like

@docwisdom

Thanks for the ideas, I think a lux sensor could be possible, I’ll check out adding that into the next prototype, pH would be cool, but I have not located a cheap way of including that, we’ll keep an eye out.

As for $15-20 sensors, the limiting factor is RF chipset pricing… notice how the majority of sensors, even simple door sensors are ~$50. We are working on the best price vs performance zigbee chipset available to try hit pricepoint. Part of the problem is that we need the best range possible to reach outside and through walls.

@chrisb

Thanks!

Kickstarter date still TBD, we need to spread the word a bit more to ensure a successful launch, we are working to get there as quickly as possible.

You could look into building/sourcing an “add on module” that is a weather proof zigbee repeater, maybe with a pass through outlet? I have seen zwave ones (GE makes one), but I have not seen a zigbee one yet.

A quick video demonstration… we will add more shortly

http://youtu.be/aNMWzDs_wAQ

1 Like

This looks awesome. But I need one that supports 36 zones!

My 36 zone irrigation program takes 12 hours to complete. I have a demand-based pressure pump connected to a 2,000 gallon tank that pulls from a 360 foot well.

Currently, I have an old-school RainBird 24 zone controller and then a separate 12 zone controller. I just schedule the 1st zone on the 2nd box to start when the last zone on the 1st box is supposed to be done (I pad by 5 minutes to account for clock drift).

I’ve been looking at RainMachine, but it only supports 12 zones. They’ve said I should just hook up three of them, but the problem is that they don’t “talk” to each other, so it’s possible that the first one could extend the watering program past the time when the first zone on the 2nd controller starts… and I could create too much demand on my reservoir tank and run it dry before it has a chance to refill.

So I love what you’re doing, and would love to help test if possible – but please also think about those of use with lots of zones! :slight_smile:

@SteveJenkins
Sounds like quite the extensive system! We are working on making some changes to better accommodate more zones. Our first pass, will add multiple controllers into the Smartapp setup so that they will essentially act as a unified device.

Sounds great! I think there’s broad application for a system that can be expanded to many zones. How many golf course maintenance crews would love the ability to launch zone tests from a mobile device? :smile:

Best luck with the KickStarter. I’l be contributing to this one for sure! :smile:

Great progress! Cant wait to see testing of the moisture sensors as well

A quick demo, pausing irrigation when the front door is opened.

We will put one together with moisture sensors as well… very busy trying to wrap things up for the Kickstarter! So keep an eye out.

Very nice… That is exactly what a smart home is supposed to do…and now we can!

1 Like