Zigbee - from flakey to stable

That’s useful - thanks!

I bought two Xbee boards and two USB boards off eBay - they worked - really new at this but guessing what you have there would work too - though a bit pricier

Hope it works out for you.

They’ve really helped my ZigBee network. One of my presence sensors still drops out sometimes but it is much better than before adding the xbee’s.

I’ve also managed to get them working as routing temperature/humidity sensors by wiring them up to an arduino and a SI7021 temperature sensor. Total cost at around £12 each; bit of a wait for the arduino and temp sensor to come from China though.

Next project is a Xbee based LED light strip, something along these lines-

The arduino software may be a challenge, but I like a challenge👍

1 Like

Which model did you get in this case? If it’s the same as I and @arstena have - XBP24-ZB would love to look at your profile if you have any luck pairing Xiaomis. My two are doing a nice job picking up Quirky Trippers - which leaves me a few new slots for Xiaomis - but I think I’m missing something to get them to pair w/ Xiaomi even after significant research. I can’t match your old profile exactly because of different models/ ranges, as I mentioned before. I’m going to keep playing around w/ settings though.

If I may add two comments to your excellent guide @adam_walker

1. If the USB lights don’t go on - first make sure you didn’t plug the XBEE into the USB board upside down… ahem… yes… I did that - then googled images and figured out where I’d gone wrong. Slightly embarassing.

2. Another way to do a reset easily if you don’t have a button - use a little wire and briefly short pins 5 and 10 - make sure you got the right ones - but it’s fairly easy because 10 is at the end of one of the rows. I did it on the bottom of my cheapo USB board - first googled a diagram then figured out which pins were 5 and 10 and “translated” to bottom of board.

Tried to install mine on a Mac and does not seem to find anything…will try it at work on a PC
So I got to work and gave it a go. Had two USB boards and two different S2B’s. Had to load the drivers for the board on my machine. Fallowed the procedure above to the letter and although I saw trx/RCV lights blinking it could never find the board. Used the waveshare USB board.

When you clicked find in xctu, did you tick all the options (baud rate etc)

trying that now

And…?

Still has 5 min of scanning…nothing yet and have one each running on two machines

I would assume if I am using a Waveshare USB adapter that anyone that is using that could tell me the correct setting so I don’t have to sit here for 45 min scanning every possibility

I have mine running on a mac with no problem… using mac version of
XCTU.

Did you

• do reset a couple of times ? (if you have no button, that is… pulling
    USB in and out didn’t work for me - might be a mac thing - I had to get a
    little wire and short pins 5 and 10 for a sec to do reset).
  • are you sure it’s not upside down in the USB adapter? (just sayin’
    because I did that - it still plugged in just fine)
  • select all the config options?

Good luck!

Alec

I have tried Mac and Tried a PC and nothing. I dont think that it is backwards just because the pins on the S2B numbers line up with the USB but I flipped it anyways and trying again on another machine

what driver are you using for your USB board?

I guess it is time to get another two USB boards. I can see it being checked…all lights blinking like it is communicating and it still won’t discover it.

Also can I get some links to other USB boards that work

This is probably obvious - but since you have a reset button - have you tried a reset after starting scanning? And if nothing then start scanning, hit reset, stop scanning and restart.

You could also explore trying Xbee Recovery (under the tools) - it worked nicely for me when I’d originally bricked one…

I bought these USBs - run fine on mac w/o needing new driver. I do have a different Xbee than you - though it shouldn’t make a difference…

and these boards

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemVersion&item=122652385106&view=all&tid=1898369078002

One caveat - these boards have worked perfectly for me for mapping - and have connected and picked up other non-Xiaomi devices as routers - but still haven’t managed to connect anything Xiaomi to them. I keep on trying tweaking settings. Even so they are opening up “Xiaomi slots” on my hub so I am ok. Someday I’ll get the perfect profile!

That may be the problem. Not sure what to select and when I did try t o recover it said there was not active boot loader. Which Xbee do you have. Can you send me a link and I appreciate your help.

also on s mac the port does not come up

Also when I try to recover it says that there is no active bootloader

phil, where are you based.

New Mexico

damn… if UK was going to post you a usb board, but will be cheaper for you to just ebay one. sorry.

Thanks anyways I am about to give up. I have been trying to get this to work all day and have tried every possible mix of stuff and cant get it to connect. Just wondering if I have the wrong S2B, I think the USB is correct since @ALECM is using it but he has a different board

On my Mac when I go to the utilities I can see the port for my device but when I go to XCTU I can see the BT port…and a few others but cabt see the USB

Anyone have a copy of this that you can PM me I have been trying to get access for a few days