Zigbee Devices Slow or Not Working (Jan 2024)

I come home today and notice most of my Zigbee devices are either very slow to response or simple not working. Wifi devices like Sonoff and Z-Wave are still good.

Nothing has been changed on the network side like Wifi and it was working a day a go.

For example, all my MCT-430 door sensors are offline, my ST Presence Sensors are intermittent, ST motion sensors are not working and Peanut Plugs is intermittent. Sengle and Sylvania Zigbee bulbs partially offline.

I tried removing and re-adding the MCT-430 as a test, however ST app will not detect it. I also tried resetting the bulbs and they either added very slowly or few will not add.

I am thinking this could be a cloud issue, but I don’t see any outage reported. All the IOS and Android apps are up to date. Wifi 2.4GHz is on channel 4 and Zigbee is on 15.

1 Like

There have been a few users reporting the same issue with their zigbee devices falling off line. First thing you should do: report it to ST support. Second thing: do NOT reset your hub. You can try powering off your hub for 30 minutes (remove batteries if the V2 hub). To follow up: make sure to report it to ST support.

2 Likes

Chat support created a case and asked me to disable Secure Join for Zigbee, while this does make my MCT430 working… but bulbs are still slow to react. Like it takes 3-5 seconds for me to turn on and off.

Also anything that ST natively supports, I just need to pair again and they will show up. Anything needing an Edge drivers like Xiaomi and the Bosch IR sensor, I have to delete and re-pair. What a drag.

Im in exactly the same situation and have been like this since mid Dec. Its a smartthings issue for sure as all my gear worked fine for years before this ( had various other issues but zigbee was always very solid) . Its so unstable and unreliable now im really thinking about the Home Assistant migration again , I already have the HA yellow up and running but its so much work and i just don’t want to have to start again with 300 devices.

3 Likes

what version hub are you running 300 devices on and how many drivers do you have installed. That may be your issue.

1 Like

I have the V2 hub, many of the devices are http scripts, sonos speakers , and hue lights all of which have been there for more than 2 years. Never had any issues with zigbee before the dec firmware update. The only thing i can think of if its not a firmware issue is that i have a “bad” zigbee device on my network that’s making problems.

1 Like

To update, after fully reset my hub (literally delete my ST accounts) and re-add everything while waiting for days for everything to settle down, I am not having issues for weeks now.

1 Like

SmartThings changed something in the firmware in mid-September that caused battery drain and a lot of Zigbee mesh traffic. I had many Iris Zigbee plugs with power monitoring, and it brought down my Zigbee network. When I ran logcat, I could see hundreds of messages per minute. I solved my problem by removing around 10 Iris plugs, and I haven’t had a problem since. You should run logcat and see what’s going on!

2 Likes

I tried setting up a rule to sync a plug on changes to a virtual energy meter, and caused myself some problems, due presumably to this.
The same issue was discussed in another thread with the excessive ‘chatiness’ of presence sensors causing zigbee to slow down. Seems that powered sensors can sometimes produce problems with Zigbee.

2 Likes

Everything has been quiet for me now for 3 months or so, with no devices offline, and everything, including routines, seems almost instantaneous. I had almost 200 devices on the V3, and it was super slow. I got two more V3s and separated Z-Wave to Hub 1, Zigbee to Hub 2, and cloud integrations to Hub 3. This worked okay, but Zigbee was still chatty. I then got a Station and used Hub Replace to move all the Zigbee devices to it, and migrated most of my Zigbee devices to Mariano’s drivers, changing the settings for temperature and other reporting intervals. Now everything is good so far. When I run logcat, no more chattiness. I’m also hoping this will help with the battery drain issue.

4 Likes

I’m following Mariano’s advice here and set the

on all my sensors with his driver.
They trigger perfectly and I haven’t seen any drop in battery level for a couple of months now.

4 Likes

Me as well, its working perfectly!

3 Likes

I have been using the Zigbee devices for more than 3 years now and everything was working fine till today when some automations ran but the device wasn’t turning on. I then manually turned the device and it worked and then I realised that I had to turn on and off the virtual switch that I used in the routine after which the routine started to run normally. Does anyone know why suddenly this happened? I have also restarted my hub and router and everything is working fine now but slowly.

In my zigbee devices, I have device internal reporting value set to 3600, installed only few drivers as possible, did a zigbee heal few days before, have 110 devices in my V3 hub out of which 40 are virtual devices. To be honest, I have observed that Zigbee is slow and Wifi is fast. Does anyone Concur?

Previously, I used to have lot of wifi devices but I decided to move away from Wifi and keep it zigbee for most of the devices and then I am now realising that I made a mistake unless someone can weigh in on what I am doing wrong and how I can improve my zigbee speed?

Similar issues…all of sudden with no changes to home environment. Sensors going off and online, some routines with 20 sec delays or no response. Never had a problem in over 6 years until this past month.