Zigbee Devices Missing Details


(Eric) #1

After the latest Hub upgrade (back in mid Sept) and following issues caused by it, I have 6 or 7 SmartThings branded contact sensors fall off my network. I was able to get them all reconnected by taking the batteries out and putting them back in. The devices display fine in SmartThings and report the correct state. The issue I am having is the event data.

def contactHandler(evt) {
   log.debug evt.descriptionText
}

should return something like “Kitchen Door was opened” if the device has a name of kitchen door. However it displays device.displayName was opened.

I’ve tried removing them, repairing them, nothing helps.

Anyone have any ideas? I submitted a ticket today, but this has been an issue since the great September ST Meltdown.

My fears where confirmed. I tested my motion sensors and every ST branded motion sensor says the same thing.


#2

There have been several somewhat similar reports about other zigbee devices in the last week or two. I don’t know if these are all related, but I thought I’d mention it.

Tagging @slagle @tpmanley


(Eric) #3

I’ve seen the reports of them falling off the network but I haven’t seen anyone say anything about the device.displayName issue. I actually posted this back when the meltdown was happening but all the focus was going to Hue bulbs so I figured I’d wait.

So it is now all of my ST branded motion and contact sensors. Every single one of them.

All other zigbee devices are fine.


(Jason "The Enabler" as deemed so by @Smart) #4

Sorry this is happening… but I have to tell you I laughed!!!

I read the pop ups in your pic… then I looked at the bottom of the screen… :eye:


(Eric) #5

Are you laughing at the try again?

That is because I hit the fingerprint sensor with a finger that isn’t setup or am I missing something?


(Jason "The Enabler" as deemed so by @Smart) #6

That’s exactly what I’m laughing at.


(Eric) #7

Trust me I am having a lot of heartburn over having to replace 15+ ST sensors that are used by a ton of apps.


(Jason "The Enabler" as deemed so by @Smart) #8

When my zigbee sensors have dropped off this is what I do…

Take out the battery.
Put the hub into search mode.
Pout the battery back in.
Press the button on the sensor.
Stop the search in the app.
And the device is usually back.


(Eric) #9

I did that for all of them once already. It took a long time.

SmartThings must no longer support this DOCUMENTED feature.

http://docs.smartthings.com/en/latest/ref-docs/event-ref.html#descriptiontext

Here are some logs and the code.

7a1f1b6d-48d5-4fc8-a298-46a46ac53873  6:42:27 PM: debug HN -- evt.displayName = Kitchen Door.
7a1f1b6d-48d5-4fc8-a298-46a46ac53873  6:42:27 PM: debug HN -- evt.device = Kitchen Door.
7a1f1b6d-48d5-4fc8-a298-46a46ac53873  6:42:27 PM: debug HN -- evt.descriptionText = {{ device.displayName }} was opened.
7a1f1b6d-48d5-4fc8-a298-46a46ac53873  6:42:27 PM: debug HN -- evt.description = .
7a1f1b6d-48d5-4fc8-a298-46a46ac53873  6:42:27 PM: debug HN -- evt.data = null.
7a1f1b6d-48d5-4fc8-a298-46a46ac53873  6:42:27 PM: debug HN -- evt.value = open.
7a1f1b6d-48d5-4fc8-a298-46a46ac53873  6:42:27 PM: debug HN -- evt.stringValue = open.
7a1f1b6d-48d5-4fc8-a298-46a46ac53873  6:42:27 PM: debug HN -- evt.name = contact.


log("evt.name = ${evt.name}.", "DEBUG")
log("evt.stringValue = ${evt.stringValue}.", "DEBUG")
log("evt.value = ${evt.value}.", "DEBUG")
log("evt.data = ${evt.data}.", "DEBUG")
log("evt.description = ${evt.description}.", "DEBUG")
log("evt.descriptionText = ${evt.descriptionText}.", "DEBUG")
log("evt.device = ${evt.device}.", "DEBUG")
log("evt.displayName = ${evt.displayName}.", "DEBUG")

(Eric) #10

I fixed it by changing my code…

def newMessage = evt.descriptionText.replace("{{ device.displayName }}", evt.device.toString())
log("newMessage = ${newMessage}", "DEBUG")

#11

Tagging @Jim