Zigbee device disrupts mesh

Hi

Is is possible to determine if a specific device disrupts the zigbee mesh?

In the past couple of days I’ve had a few devices go offline, and I think it could be to do with a specific zigbee plug. (I don’t think it’s anything to do with edge migration).

After unplugging the plug for a while the devices come back online.

I’ve read about certain devices causing problems with a mesh but never experienced it first hand.

I’ve not tested enough to really be sure it’s this device, so my question is can I determine if a device is causing problems without relying on trial and error?

Thanks in advance

Its completely possible. Your plug is acting as a router, so its possible that its causing issues by both transmitting (overloading the mesh with messages) or failing to receive->pass on messages (offering routing services but then discarding messages it promised to forward on).

If your mesh seems normal after unplugging the plug, I’d try resetting/re-pairing it. If it still doesn’t work properly, get a new one. They’re cheap and life is short. :slight_smile:

Thank you @csstup

Do you know if there’s a way to determine if the device is overloading the mesh?
Or failing to pass on messages?

Can I monitor this in the CLI or another tool?

Thanks

The CLI can’t help, it doesn’t have any to expose ZigBee statistics. We’re hoping it gets the ability to at least show the routing information one day…

You can use an external tool like a ZigBee sniffer or an Xbee. Both would allow you to see what was being transmitted and how much.

If the issue is a single node (determined by when you remove the node the issue goes away) it’s far easier to just replace it and move on. :slight_smile: