Z-Wave Issues with Firmware Update 30.3

Yes, we will roll out a change that will mimic 0.29.X functionality for Z-Wave.

5 Likes

Wish I had checked here instead of wasting 2 days trying to figure out why my Fibaro contact/temp sensors weren’t reporting.

Tried battery changes, exclude/include (which made me have to redo all my apps :face_vomiting:), and still nothing.

Should have thought that ST was the culprit since all 8 of them went out at the exact same time.

Sorry @Kianoosh_Karami. I meant when is the functionality to updage our zwave devices through smartthings is comming. Please give us a hint.

This is so important also for me.
And I hope you can distribute Fibaro updates!!! This will help a lot because almost everyone here has fibaro devices!
Thanks

2 Likes

What I don’t understand is why don’t you push a rollback firmware until you figure out how to fix all the issues?

Smart home management is not a toy - ST in most cases control vital parts of the house (heating, hot water, doors, etc) so the most important feature is RELIABILITY.

3 Likes

FFS!!! I’ve just found yet another problem.

I had a fibaro implant and fibaro UBS’s. Obviously the UBSs are completely knackered, but the implant seemed to still be online.

Attempted to remove and re-add.

No go. This entire release is absolutely wrecked. Really, is there not a shred of testing before rollout? Disgusted isn’t the word.

1 Like

As @daven mentioned before in this same thread, the FIBARO DOOR / WINDOW SENSOR FGK-10x as the same multichannel endpoint<>0 problem.
Please note that this device not only uses endpoint 1 ++BUT ALSO ENDPOINT 2++ for purpose of temperature reporting (optional DS18B20 add-on).

Temperature reporting stopped working for FGK-10x on v2/v3 Hubs since the Hub update, and it has little to do with my custom Device Handler : JJ’s Fibaro FGK-10x ZW5 Handler v0.9.7.4 since according to the present thread, any “standard” handler capable of reporting temperature would have the exact same issue.

Note also that likely any FIBARO device with built-in temperature reporting (like the Fibaro Motion Sensor FGMS-001) will have the same issue.
And although I do not have one for test purpose, the Fibaro FGDW-002 (replacement for FGK-10x) with built-in temperature report should also be checked.

2 Likes

We are going to issue a hotfix that will rollback functionality, so all multi channels devices should work again.

6 Likes

@djh_wolf, yes, there is testing. You can sign up to be part of the beta firmware version release and you can give your feedback before it rolls out to all the users.
I am in the beta group. I haven’t had any problem with any of my Z-wave devices, all roller blind controllers, but not Fibaro. Possibly nobody in the beta group has any Fibaro devices what has been wrecked, or if someone has, that device is not using the faulty firmware, which doesn’t follow the z-wave standard. It is a bummer that these devices are not working correctly. But, if you read the comments from @Kianoosh_Karami, it is due to the unsolicited messages from the devices, with destinationEndpoint 1. It means that the devices should still react to commands. But the response from the device confirming the command is not parsed by the Hub, due to the unsolicited messages.
If you want to turn these devices on and off, I can suggest a voice command through a Google Home. The Google Home doesn’t need the knowledge if the target is on or off. It will issue the asked command.

Otherwise a fix is coming. Sit tight, hopefully by end of next week it will be all sorted out. And don’t stress your wife more with the “SmartShits”, as my wife calls it. She probably have enough stress about the Covid-19 situation and your coming baby.

Meanwhile see the bright side of the thing, SmartThings was forced to get in contact with Fibaro regarding the faulty firmwares of the Fibaro devices and now there is a good chance that Fibaro firmwares will be released with future updates, if I read the comments correctly. It would be beneficial for everyone.

4 Likes

I’m a software developer by day. FWIW, in the industry, beta is not part of testing. You don’t go to beta until after you are done with testing.

(this is not a comment either way about if or what testing SmartThings did before this release; I’m just clarifying that beta is not the same as testing)

2 Likes

You really cannot expect that anybody has all the possible devices and custom code to do all testing. Beta is really already in ops. Any feedback from beta is considered before the final release and bugs are logged as beta testers report it.

Otherwise this is what happening behind the scenes, it is from a discussion regarding a previous firmware update:
this code has been running on internal employee hubs for several weeks

I understand your point. But you cannot expect every cases and devices until you push it to users. This is unfortunate, but if you look at topics these devices were struggling for ages with custom codes trying to handle things what should not happen.

Great reply, ta.

I’ve just opened google home and it does, as you said, allow me to switch my boiler switch on and off, so that’s interesting. Just as a quick test I tried using both webcore and the smartthings to turn the switch on and off - failed. Google home - works.

Bit of a kludge, not sure if there’s a way of asking webcore to use google home to issue a command. Hmm.

Good call on the wife. She absolutely hates it. The frustrating thing being that things frequently just do not work. She (understandably) can’t get her head around things like this, and to be fair, why should she. It should just work. And continue to work. You see what happens when someone like say, Apple screw something, anything up - there’s an immense media backlash.

I have no issues with progress, and yes, future fibaro releases probably will be more ‘compliant’.

But you know… my stance is ‘who cares’ - if something works, it should continue to. And I’m sorry, but this particular firmware screw-up is monumental in my book, and there’s no excuse for messing up to this magnitude and then being told to “wait until next week”. It should be instantly reverted to a working firmware. THEN when the new ‘working’ version is ready, knock yourself out and roll it out. I shouldn’t need to wait and (presumably) be thankful for the engineers then making things work again. I’m not trying to sound ungrateful. It’s pathetic. Roll it back! It’s categorically causing major issues, so ROLL IT BACK.

I wouldn’t class myself as a basic user, but I’m not at the top of the tree either. So in my own, single household it’s killed the following:

1. Central heating system due to boiler switch unable to switch off (just on).
  2. Central heating due to room temp sensors failing (fibaro ubs unusable)
  3. External motion detection failing due to double-switch being unaware of changes.
  4. Garage door opener failing for the same reason as above.
  5. Smoke alarms smart functionality failing, due to the fibaro ubs being unusable.
  6. Hot tub heating useless, due to lack of working temp sensors.
  7. Keypad arm/disarm for home alarm failing - again, fibaro dead.

This is just one household. One. Nobody can tell me that there was adequate testing here, by any means at all. None.

But yes, all we can do is cross our fingers and wait for next week. I nearly, nearly bought a hubistat last night. I was so close.

I’m actually mildly annoyed at myself for allowing myself to be so angry at this. I don’t make a great deal of cash, nor have a great amount of free time. And however anyone wants to look at it, RIGHT AT THIS SECOND (and at least for the next week), here’s a list of things that might as well be sat in the bin.

7 x smart trvs (approx £40 a shot)
3 x fibaro UBS’s (approx £35 a shot)
1 x fibaro double switch (about £35?)
13 x DS18b20’s (approx £3 each)
2 x PIR’s turned smart (£10 each)
1 x boiler switch (about £30).

That’s approx £500 worth of equipment and countless hours of time and effort. Wrecked. And I’m being told to sit tight because they’re ‘working on it’ ?? A roll back is not, in any way shape nor form, an unreasonable request. I’m absolutely livid.

2 Likes

Install GAR - Google Assistant Relay on a computer which runs 24/7 like a Raspberry Pi.

1 Like

I have several Fibaro FGS-222 using Chris Charles’ DTH which have all failed over the last few days.

I have got them all working with the following work around:

• Delete both child devices created by my existing DTH
  • In the main parent device change the DTH to Fibaro Double Switch 2 ZW5
  • This parent device then controls the first switch in the relay
  • It also creates a second device which controls the second switch in the relay.

Note: renaming them is a pain. You need to rename the first switch first, which will rename both switches. Then you can rename the second switch by itself.

The devices definitely don’t work as responsively as they used to. I suspect that the device handler wasn’t written to support these devices - but it works for now.

I’ve managed to add both the primary and secondary switching to webcore in the ‘switches’ section (capability group 3).

You’ll probably all now tell me that what I’ve done has a potentially fatal flaw (e.g. the sun might supernova as a consequence)… but it seems to be working for me.

1 Like

I respectfully disagree. We have an alpha testing phase and a beta testing phase at select customer sites. You would hope not to find any issues during the beta test, but not always the case. Even Microsoft has a beta test phase and makes adjustments before final version roll out.

1 Like

A crappy part about this whole situation is that literally the only beta test SmartThings runs is the hub firmware beta. But this change wasn’t called out in the release notes :exploding_head:

2 Likes

When you develop reliable software, you do testing during or immediately after the development cycle. “Beta testing” (in customer hands) happens after you’ve done validation and regression testing of the software … for correctness. Beta testing is supposed to help expose you to some real world problems, but it is not a substitute for testing the features in the first place.

Saying “there is testing. you can sign up for beta” impies that there was a beta, so sufficient testing happened. That does not produce reliable software.

Hey All,

We are releasing 0.30.4 firmware to our external beta users Today (Friday, May 8th) which includes the fix for the Z-Wave issue in 0.30.3.

If you are interested in receiving the firmware, please sign up using the following link https://goo.gl/Gw4cEK. You can always opt out afterwards.

I would appreciate if those with the affected hubs and devices could sign up and provide feedback over the weekend.

Thanks again for your help and patience!

5 Likes

Currently, we are targeting end of the year support for selected devices. I am fully aware that the ideal solution would be to allow developers to update any device with any firmware, but unfortunately that is not in the current scope, perhaps something that we can revisit in 2021. I do not want to make false promises and say “in future”.

3 Likes

Applied right now but you need to review my status. Can you do it for me ?

Thanks