Z-Wave Issues with Firmware Update 30.3

My Fibaro FGS-222 switches have not worked since 30.3 was forced on us, the FGS-223 switches do seem to work although I’m not sure they are perfect. Do I need to register to get the fixed 30.5 firmware or will it be pushed to all hubs shortly? At the moment I have two houses without any heating because of this, so need a fix asap.

I bought a new Fibaro single Switch 2 a couple of days back, and it doesn’t reflect the Toggle status of ON or OFF in Smartthings \ Actiontiles and I need to manually refresh the switch in Smartthings Classic app by pressing the kWh icon\button and only then it shows the current status. I have 2 more Fibaros from 2 years ago running an older firmware and they run perfectly fine.

2 Likes

So pleased I am not the only one suffering from this problem! See post 136. I have 2 of these which I purchased recently behaving just like that. I also suspect the Single Switch firmware to be at the back of this and suspect if Smartthings support don’t sort this problem it is only going to get more prevalent as more of these new Single Switches come into service.

@jody.albritton I have the same problem with my Fibaro Single switche 2s. The strange thing is that i have 4 of those and only 2 of them are having issues. The other 2 are very fast and responsive.

1 Like

With the latest beta (5) all my issues have been resolved. All devices work as expected.

2 Likes

Jody, can you or @Kianoosh_Karami enlighten us to what the ultimate solution was?

Hi guys,

I’ve been patiently waiting for an auto firmware update of my hub to 30.4 / 30.5 as the majority of my 135 devices (mostly Fibaro) are currently inoperable.

I thought I read that this would happen 12th May but so far nothing. When can I expect an update and things to spring back into life ?

Cheers

Today’s announcement:

Hub Firmware Release Notes - 0.30.5

Release Date: 12 May 2020 ~ 14 May 2020
Note that this release may be spread over a few days, so you may not see your Hub update the first day of the release period. We will post on this thread once all users should have received the update.

1 Like

Many thanks @JDRoberts :slight_smile:

1 Like

I can confirm that the fibaro-z-wave-fgk-101 temperature reading is working again with firmware 0.30.5!

My version of the fgk-101 is: zw:S type:2001 mfr:010F prod:0700 model:1000 ver:2.05 zwv:3.67

1 Like

Thanks Jody, and all the SmartThings development team, for finally listening to our complaints.
I hope this episode has solidified enough the “Z-Wave 100% upward compatible” principle, as detailed with all its fine points by @JDRoberts, so that we will never have to fight this battle again :smiley:.

1 Like

My Hub now has the new Firmware, but my Fibaro Single Switch 2 still has the same issue as above. Please send out a v0.30.6 update to fix this too :slight_smile:

I’m still having the same exact issue with my hub now on 30.5 firmware.

My Fibaro devices are humming along now without issue. Thanks for the fix.

1 Like

Reporting problem solved here as well.

1 Like

Z-Wave Issues and Resolutions

Over the past two weeks we have experienced some issues with multi-channel Z-Wave devices that surfaced after making upgrades to the hub firmware. These issues were the result of working towards full compliance with the most current Z-Wave Alliance specification. Here is a brief summary and timeline of events.

0.30.3 Release

We released an update to comply with the current Z-Wave specification. The SmartThings hub is a single channel device. To comply, the hub must only process messages from devices that are sent to Destinatination Endpoint 0.

In accordance with the specification, after this firmware release the hub started ignoring all incoming messages from devices addressed to a non-zero destination endpoint.

0.30.4 Release

After the release, we identified a large group of multi-channel devices (e.g., Fibaro Dimmer 2) that lost compatibility as a result of 0.30.3 These devices were sending messages to Destination Endpoint 1.

To accommodate these devices, we made a change to also allow incoming messages to Destination Endpoint of 1. During the beta of 0.30.4, some devices sending messages with a Destination Endpoint of 1 were able to be patched by modifications to the DTHs and have their functionality restored.

0.30.5 Release

We learned that additional, popular Z-Wave Alliance Certified devices were not complying the latest Z-Wave specifications. The previous solution of using DTH modification would not work for these devices because they were sending messages to a Destination Endpoint that was neither 0 or 1.

Therefore, we decided to revert this change and allow all endpoints as a destination.

Looking Ahead

We have engaged with the Z-Wave Alliance and other industry stakeholders regarding this complication. We will provide updates as these discussions continue.

In the meantime, if your DTH is breaking with the specification, we urge you to change your implementation so that the device only sends updates to Destination Endpoint 0. We know many of our customers have legacy products that are not currently compatible; this is something we’re actively working to solve with industry stakeholders in order to ensure a smoother transition in the future.

12 Likes

Just asking out of curiosity… Were there any other low level Z-wave changes besides the multi-channel destination stuff made for this certification compliance?

1 Like

We are running the newest z-wave stack with S2 support now.

3 Likes

@jody.albritton or @Kianoosh_Karami is S2 pairing now enabled for all V2/V3 hub users using the new app?

1 Like