Z wave association groups Aeotec wall mote?

The tweaker is community created code written by a member of this forum and only works with SmartThings. It’s just a way of telling the smartthings hub to tell the trigger device to store the target device IDs you want to be able to trigger with the basic command. (And the only reason it had to be written by a community member is because, for whatever reasons, smartthings does not provide the usual zwave network management utilities that most of its competition do. )

If you didn’t have a smartthings hub, you would have to have some other Z wave controller to establish your Z wave network. That might be Vera, devolo, Homeseer, Fibaro, etc. Aeotec even makes a USB stick that you can plug into a laptop and use that as your Z wave controller.

Different controllers have different methods for setting up zwave direct associations. That’s why the Walmote user manual tells you to check the instructions for your hub/gateway.

In order to use Association Groups, make sure that your gateway or software can allow you to set these, in order to do so, please refer to your gateways manual on setting group association. This will allow the WallMote Quad to directly communicate ON/OFF or Dimming commands to your devices without going through your gateway.

Remember the first rule of home automation? “The model number matters.“ That applies to hubs and gateways as well. :sunglasses:

so say habitat would that be a good choice as i like the idea of running things locally rather than the cloud.

I’m finding the wall mote unresponsive from time to time, i think its when it wakes up. Not sold on it to be honest and I’ve bought 2 of then. Not sure whether to stick with them or look elsewhere…?

cheers kev

Hubitat is a good choice for local operation, but to be honest its founders were power users from smartthings and I don’t honestly know if they provided zwave utilities like association setup or if they used the SmartThings model. You’d need to ask in their forum. :sunglasses:

BTW, if you are interested in learning more about Zwave specifically, there’s an FAQ for that. :wink:

It’s old, and while it was originally true that you had to buy a developers license, that changed a couple of years ago, and that change is also discussed in the FAQ. Now the official specs are publicly available for free.

1 Like

Cheers JD you just keep on giving. I’ll take a look.

1 Like

Thanks for this thread. I need to do some reading. If I can get Z-wave associations working, I can finally ditch my Vera Plus. It’s the only reason I keep that thing around. Most of my lighting is associated and I love the performance. Response is very very quick. The other thing I like is the associations work even if I unplug the Vera all together. But for a power outage it has a 100% up time.