Your home user manual

I see this thread has some age on it, but I’ve been looking at simple ways to do something like this myself. I’ve been considering something as simple as a doc stored on a shared USB drive plugged into my router, so I can just create a shortcut on my phone to it. In my case it’s just a reference sheet for myself as the number of commands in Alexa is significant, especially when using Ask Alexa and setting custom macros.

Has anybody come up with any new ideas/methods since this discussion died down?

I’m going to update the doc soon… I’ve made some pretty significant changes since then.

Isn’t in funny how you need a “manual / guide” to use a house. Don’t get me wrong I love having automation and the convenience it provides. It just makes me chuckle. I LOVE listening to my wife try and get Alexa or Siri to do or tell her something. It’s well worth the price of admission and the " Go to He%% " looks I get as I have tears running down my face listening to her.

My “Guide” is just a list of the names for lights and scenes. The grandkids love Alexa.

Yeah, that’s basically what we have. :sunglasses: Posted on the wall. Everything else just happens either automatically or intuitively with a switch on the wall where you would expect a switch to be.

We have a lot of people coming through the house (three housemates plus friends and family plus health aides), so we just don’t set up anything that would be too complicated for visitors.

Amazon has just added a new feature to Alexa where anyone can fill in some blanks and end up with their own Alexa skill in some particular categories.

One of them looks designed for Airbnb, but should also be really good for people with home automation. Essentially you can create questions and answers for echo, such as “how do I turn on the TV?” Or “how do I lock the door?” Alexa will then speak the responses that you have written.

Amazon calls these “blueprints.” It’s really easy. Limited to just some call and response type categories for now, but, as I mentioned, one of them is really useful for home automation instructions. So I think very relevant to this thread. :sunglasses: also, Note that these are private skills and work only on your own Alexa devices

News article:

Official site:

Sample page from the “house guest“ blueprint:

2 Likes

These are great… I’ve already started building my custom Home User Manual

1 Like