Your Development Enviornment?

What IDE is everyone using. I am contemplating both Eclipse and JetBrains InteliJ. Any pro’s / con’s for either option. Any and all tips and suggestions are welcome. Keep in mind, I am new to Java. This is mostly to develop my own custom device types. I do plan on hosting on github, so integration is a must.

I use the SmartThings IDE because I’m a glutton for punishment…

1 Like

You probably already know this, but just for clarity, , SmartThings is not running Java. They are running their own groovy variant. There’s no way to load your own libraries, for example. You just have to use what’s there.

And I don’t think there’s anyway to link the SmartThings simulator to an outside IDE. So it depends in part on how you like to test.

FWIW

If it’s something quick, I’ll use the ST IDE. For anything more involved, I use c9.io. Having Git plus stshell/stsync can make it a nice, organized, quick dev environment that is accessible from pretty much anywhere. If the ST devs would run a c9 instance instead of the current IDE, I would be so happy :smile:

Although if you’re looking for something that you can use for local Java development too, I do like IntelliJ.

2 Likes

I have PHPStorm that I love, after switching over from Eclipse for PHP so that is why I looked into IntelliJ. I might look into seeing if there is syntax highlighting for groovy in PHPStorm first and try that. Currently, I am using Sublime Text and git locally, but looking for something a little more cohesive. I am very surprised to hear most people are just using the ST IDE.

I also use the SmartThings IDE. It works OK for me as long as I keep the apps/devices small.

I use Atom for editing and Tower for my git GUI.

1 Like

I write my code in TextPad 5 and paste it into the IDE (for testing) or commit it to my GitHub repository using GitHub Desktop.

Still teaching myself the language, but I will eventually migrate to something more native to the language eventually. Never Eclipse. I loathe Eclipse at work… I will not use it in my “spare time”. :laughing:

Long time emacs user here. Been using that since 1978. It’s a hard habit to break. I’ve never really picked up on things like eclipse. It’s emacs emulation is lacking. I tend to write my code in emacs, copy-n-paste into the IDE and save it that way. Is there something else?

Thanks for all your answers. You gave me a few new ideas like Emacs, and GitHub Desktop. I will probably just maintain my current setup for now.