SmartThings Community

Yale Keyless Connected Smart Lock shows 10% battery with brand new batteries

yale
battery
locks

I just installed a Yale Keyless Connected Smart Lock (http://www.yale.co.uk/en/yale/couk/productsdb/smart-locks/Keyless-Connected-Smart-Lock/) and it connected to my SmartThings hub fine and seems to be working. However, the battery level in the SmartThings app and the SmartThings web interface both show 10%. I have tried the set of batteries that came with the lock and another brand new set but both show 10%. I am assuming this is a formatting error and 10% actually means 100%?

0 Likes

(luigidon@hotmail.co.uk) #2

Same here, just installed the Keyless today and i would come to the same conclusion as you - anyone else have the same ?

0 Likes

I contacted Yale support about this issue and this was their reply:

“This is a glitch which is being worked on by the Smart team and Samsung. Apologies for this I know it can be a nuisance.”

I am tempted to just multiply the reported value by 10 in the Z-wave lock device handler code to placate my OCD but this doesn’t really fix the problem :frowning:

0 Likes

(Mr Rick) #4

Same problem here…Just installed the hub with the Yale keyless lock…Both work fine but with the battery display problem confirmed by Samsung support chat.

I have also noticed that you only get notifications from the hub when the lock is unlocked with a code but not with the card or tag…According to Yale this is a Z wave integration issue that they are aware of but with no plans to include it any time soon if at all.

To me I would like to see this included within the notifications so that a complete log of the door entry is obtained.

0 Likes

Yes, disappointingly i found exactly the same thing:

0 Likes

(Adam V) #6

I have the same battery issue!

but I checked the logs and the device itself is sending through the wrong battery info… so I doubt they can fix it by “working with the smart team and Samsung”. The device itself will need a firmware update or something. I have no idea how they can do that because Smartthings doesn’t support OTA updates for Z-Wave… and this isn’t even a ZW+ device. Times x 10 probably wont fix the issue because I’ve never seen it report any info other than 10%… never 9 or 8 or anything like that…

I think we’ll have to put pressure on them to replace our hardware

0 Likes

(Mal Ball) #7

Well its now January 2017 and this problem is still there. SmartThings, it cant be that difficult to include this fix in one of your updates.

Its been showing 10% since changing the batteries so I don’t think it updates at all

0 Likes

It appears to be a problem with the Yale lock, i’m afaid. As @AdamV says, SmartThings is just displaying the value reported by the device. So, unless there’s a way of updating the lock’s firmware it looks like we’re stuck with unknown battery levels. Just keep a 9V PP3 battery on you at all times in case you get locked out when the batteries go flat :wink:

0 Likes

(Nick Sills) #9

Now Feb 2017 and this continues. My two new locks report 10% battery remaining. This is is a real pain as both locks are in a remote location.

Does anyone know if once the lock indicates low battery whether this triggers a zwave status of low battery or similar? At least this offers some protection.

0 Likes

(Tmp R) #10

What device handler are you guys using? The generic Zwave Lock or a specific Yale handler?

I’ve had a play around with the Yale lock and it doesn’t seem to report a battery level via Zwave. I don’t know if there’s a specific command to trigger a battery status reply but I can’t find one.

It does, however, trigger an even for “Batteries replaced”, so I updated the device handler to make this even set the battery level to 100%.

I can see other handlers for “Battery low” and “Battery Critical” but I don’t know the Yale lock will actually fire these. Hopefully, it will and these events can be used to set the battery level to 10% or whatever. I’ll find out in time and update this thread.

0 Likes

(Tmp R) #11

I’ve made a temporary fix and started my own discussion about some of the technical points here:

0 Likes

(Adam V) #12

Hey everyone - I contacted Yale again and this time I just kept emailing them everyday, until eventually they sent me a replacement lock.

I have just fitted the lock and my ST app is showing 90% battery!! so that looks like the new lock has this fixed. I’ll keep checking over the next few weeks / months to make sure that it does go down from 90% and that it isnt just sending that to ST!!

Hopefully you can all get replacements as well.

0 Likes

(Noam Leshem) #13

Hi. Can you confirm that the battery issue has been resolved in the new model?

0 Likes

(Adam V) #14

No it definitely has not been resolved. The new model just permanently shows 90% rather than 10%. Its still the same issue - my door lock ran out of power the other day and I had no warning that would happen because it always displays 90%. I tried sending a custom command to the device to get it to update the battery info more often… but it still does not.

0 Likes

(Noam Leshem) #15

Thank you for the follow up. I have opened a ticket with support about the
smart lock SmartApp not working for me and hopefully will get answers about
the battery issue too.

0 Likes

Have you had any luck? I’ve just moved from Vera, and am now faced with this issue.

0 Likes

(Robert Hodgkiss) #17

We have the same issue with 11 locks connected to Vera systems. We simply rely on changing the batteries when we get an alert. Some seems to report 10% & one or two report 90%. None ever change!

0 Likes

(Steven Azari (Captain Comedy)) #18

It’s infuriating that we don’t know when batteries run out! we should be notified, there’s supposed to be an alarm on the lock to notify you - I had nothing. I had to enter my code 10 times before it let me in because it didn’t have the power to unlock the door, yet showed 90% as per usual! ridiculous!

0 Likes

(John Lockwood) #19

@TmpR
Since this 10% battery report problem is still happening can you share your custom device handler and any tips for adding handlers for “Battery low” and “Battery critical”.

It would seem a reasonable workaround would be to use “Battery replaced” to set to 90% and “Battery low” to 20% and “Battery critical” to 10% or some similar pattern so one could see the figure at least change between these three levels and plan accordingly. (Assuming the additional handlers work.)

Hmm, on a different aspect, there is now a Z-Wave version 2 module for the Yale Keyless lock. Has anyone tried this to see if it has the same problem? This module uses Z-Wave Plus.

0 Likes

Yes set up Yale Keyless lock and Yale Z-Wave module 2 in Aug. has gone through 3 west of AA batteries since with notification of 90% until day of fail on low battery when it shows 1 (not sure if 1%). Not impressed and will watch next set of 4 x AA like hawk despite lock being used 4 x a day.

0 Likes