[OBSOLETE] Xioami Zigbee Door/Window Sensor, Motion Sensor, & Smart Button Device Type

My hub is V2. I opened a new Xiaomi motion sensor 2 hours ago, set it up, and it stopped communicating with the hub already along with the one I have been working with the past few days

Slow down at step 3 it works just as well and without drops (at least for me)

So still do short presses or no presses after the long one?

I just keep pressing about once per second until it shows up in the app on its own. Usually 15 seconds or less of pressing every second, after the first long press.

Yes short press every few seconds, someone in another thread said he press after the blue light no longer flashes.

I would like to verify a couple of things about pairing because I am having issues.

I stupidly went all in and bought 22 of the motion sensors. I have 2 of them working, one through the regular clicking the button a few times anbd it shows up in the app as a ā€œthingā€ and one by copying the ID from the catchall in the events. I dont know what I did to make them connect and not the other 20. I am unable to get any more of the catchall messages to show.

I have tried every method I have found to get the rest of these to pair. I tried removing sources of interference, like other Zigbee devices and wifi.

The method I believe ought to work to get them into pairing mode is:

1. hold the reset button with a pin for 3-4 seconds until it flashes 3 quick times. Let go.
  2. it will flash 2 times with a long pause between. I begin pressing the button every second while refreshing the home hub > events page.

That is where I am at. Doing this will not show the catchall message or have them show up in the app. The two I got joined seemed to have been a random occurrence because I just simply pressed the button once after the initial reset.

Has anyone else observed a lack of catchall messages? From what I have been reading, that should always be happening and is the way to get these to connect.

I have no idea what happenedā€¦but they all started showing up in the catchall messages. I did notice that many of my window sensors that are zigbee had all seemingly disconnectedā€¦so perhaps prior to this I had reached some sort of maximum of connected devices that would not allow new devices to join?

I pressed the button only once, waited a few seconds and the catchall message with the ID would show up and I added each of the 22 motion sensors. It is amazing it works nowā€¦I have been trying to get this done a couple hours a day every day for about 4 days nowā€¦

1 Like

Something to report about the door sensors.
They donā€™t play nice on metal (sliding) doors.

I mounted a stable sensor and it instantly began acting strangely. I replaced a zwave sensor with this, but it has trouble, see below.

When opened, it would show (and log concurred), it would open, close and open. The 1st 2 would happen extremely quickly. Staying open would take about 1.5 sec.
The exact same thing happened in reverse. It would close, open, close. And the final close would take about 1.5 sec.
Also, the blue LED would flash as well with open/close, like when the device is not paired.
I popped it off, and in my hand not 2ā€™ from where it was previously, it functioned normally, instantaneously. I trusted it 10x, operated as normal. Put the sensor back on door, immediately had the same problem.

So these do not play nice on metal doors. I guess for $6 you canā€™t be too picky.

I donā€™t think many magnetic door contacts play nicely on metal doors to be honest. This is not specific for Xiaomi.

1 Like

my gocontrol zwave ones play perfectly, no problems whatsoever for 6 months. I just replaced it with a xiaomi for asthetic purposes. needless to say, Iā€™m switching back.

Interesting. I will always get a catchall code when I hold the button down for 3-4 seconds. They will then always stop communicating with the hub after a few hours.

The way I was finally been able to get them added was using this method:
Add a thing
Hold down button on Xiaomi device for 5 seconds to get into pairing mode
Quick press every 3 seconds
Within a minute or two of doing this, the device will show up in Add a thing. Add device normally from there.

1 Like

So far, they have been online for just under 24 hours straight. all are working and reporting battery and motion events just fine. I wish I knew what cause my pairing issues. I am worried that when I have to replace the battery, they will lose connection and force me to go through the re-pairing process. I really ought to test with one.

Strips door sensor works well for me for metal sliding doors (two of them actually). These are expensive but the aesthetics are unbeatable. These are so thin you install where the door and frame touch not on the outside.

Same issue here with the motion sensor. Anyone been able to figure it out. Works perfectly for a fee hours and then drops off. Restarting the pairing process using the catchall method yields a new device id.

V1 hub has this issue V2 hub is ok for me

Each time you reset a device it comes up with a new device network ID. Thatā€™s normal and I suspect a standard part of the Zigbee pairing process. The Zigbee ID never changes.

FWIW, I have never had to result to the catchall process for the motion sensors or the door sensors. My pairing process for a V2 hub is as follows and this works every time for me.

1. Put hub in pairing mode using "Add a thing"at the bottom of the ā€œthingsā€ screen in the mobile app.
  2. Reset the sensor by pressing and holding the button on the sensor for 4-5 seconds.
  3. Wait 3 seconds and then press the button on the sensor every 3 seconds until the new device appears in the app. This typically takes less than a minute.
  4. Rename and save device.

The motion sensors will start to report ā€œmotionā€ and then ā€œno motionā€ based on the timeout configured for the specific device. You will know the pairing has stuck when the motion reporting reverts to one event every 60 seconds. Battery reporting will also start to show a while after this.

I did my buttons a while back now so I canā€™t recall if this was the process I used for them. The temp/humidity sensors were more tricky to pair. I gave up purely pressing the button and went to the catchall method. Interestingly I noticed that after pairing with the catchall method, the device still appears as a new device when you ā€œAdd a thingā€. I always rename and save at this point. Maybe this is why they usually ā€˜stickā€™ for me? Since mid february I have only 2 devices out of 15 (1 motion and 1 door) drop off after battery reporting. This happened a couple of hours apart one week ago.

2 Likes

Thanks. Iā€™ll try this tonight when I get home.

I am on V2. I did a complete reset yesterday and re-paired the motion sensor using the catchall method. After I did this, the sensor began to work and I could see heartbeat events in the logs.

However, this morning the sensor is not responding and no events appear in the logs. I left the motion sensor overnightā€‹ next to the hub.

I have successfully paired the motion sensor using your method. For now, I see ā€œmotionā€ and ā€œno motionā€ events including heartbeat events. No battery indicator just yet. I will leave it overnight next to the hub and see what happens.

Where do you get the Zigbee ID for your motion sensor? I have just been entering the network ID from catchall in both the Network ID and Zigbee ID.

That works