WyzeCam interesting

It works on fire tablets that support show mode, too! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The answer to this question is: Yes you can, but you must flash the new Dafang boot loader to the WyzeCam v2 (and PTZ) cameras, then boot into the custom firmware on a dedicated MicroSD card. You lose cloud capabilities this way, but you also prevent the camera from phoning home. The other drawback is the camera can only stream at 1600x900 with this firmware.

Source: I have several of the v2 cameras now and did this.

3 Likes

Not really a Wyze cam (or even Xiaomi) at that point is it?

It depends on what your use case isā€¦ The camera is still a super cheap high image quality device that can be used through a cloud service, or for some of us who prefer to keep the inner workings of our homes out of the potential security risks associated with cloud-based services used through a more secure methodā€¦

I deal with cloud everything as part of my day job, and as awesome as things can be with the services provided, Iā€™d prefer to keep my familyā€™s privacy relatively intact from a visual perspective.

2 Likes

Which Fire Tablets support Show Mode, or should I say which generation of Fire Tablets support show mode?

Fire HD 8 and 10 (both 7th generation only) just got the firmware update that enables show modeā€¦ 49 more hours till prime day! :slight_smile:

Thanks. Believe it or not I am not a Prime member, so I loose out on the deals.

Can the xiaomi camera be flashed with the same third party firmware?

1 Like

Probably, same camera. Theyā€™re about the same price though.

1 Like

I believe it depends on the level of FW in the Xiaomi, but I also read that you can downgrade and then flash the cams even if not on a compatible level. Once I get the time, I intend to give this a try with my 2 Xiaomi cams. You just need the files to flash and an SD card.

1 Like

I have a couple of the v2 cameras that are running the Dafang firmware. The v2 units have a better sensor in them, but are otherwise identical I believe.

1 Like

For the Wyze v2, OpenIPC firmware is available. It has been forked from the Dafang Hacks firmware. DFH is more up to date and seems to support some additional features and runs faster.

When flashing the first piece of software, youā€™re effectively modifying the existing boot loader on the camera to support booting from SD card whenever a card is in the slot. Remove the card and the camera boots normally. You can always flash back to the stock firmware on the camera as well.

After you perform the flash process, you wipe the SD card and install the custom OS from OpenIPC onto the card, add your wireless network information to the config file, and then slot it back into the camera. Power the camera on and you now have a local only, non-cloud, RTSP enabled camera that you can link with software such as Blue Iris. Motion detect and the like are still enabled, and you get full access to every setting within the camera by browsing to the cameraā€™s web interface.

This also works on the PTZ.

I have been semi successful with this using blue iris and also with using a Pi3 (with MotionEye OS). My only hang up is I canā€™t keep a consistent connection. Iā€™m assuming my WiFi is the cause of that.
I havenā€™t found the sweet spot for the settings to keep everything happy and connected 100 percent.

Hey do you by anychance know if it has enable tracking mode on/off? (refering more to the Wyze Cam Pan)

If anyone is interested, I remixed this along with another item on Thingiverse and made an outdoor kit for the V2. (credits in the link below)

Let me know if you want a kit. $5.50 plus shipping

Nice job! Printing one now. For Those who donā€™t have a 3D printer, this is a great price for it and it looks nice. This may just be enough to protect the camera outdoors.

I have 2 v. 2 cameras, outdoors with hgrafā€™s outdoor ā€œdog housesā€ mounted under roof overhangs. These have been running several months. I also have 2 Pan & Tilt cameras, outdoors also under roof eaves since early June. No issues.

Thanks. Iā€™ve got 3 v2 cams out in the direct weather with these. Weā€™ve had storms almost every day and they are in direct sunlight in the Alabama summerā€¦ And they are still going strong.

Mines the New Mexico heat. Not direct sunlight. Used PLA, in sunlight iā€™d use ABS. A coworker bought the bird house ones on Amazon for $12. Very thin, ok but yours and hgrafā€™s is better IMO.

Yeah, the walls on these are 3 to 4.5 mm thickā€¦ no problems so far and itā€™s been well over 100 degrees out.

Does anyone use a long usb cable that is flexible similar to what came with the camera? I want to install a camera outside and itā€™s easier to hide the thin flex cable.