WyzeCam interesting

I saw that, it was an interesting letter. And looked like a good faith effort.

They just completely underestimated what their ongoing server costs would be.

1 Like

Its crappy news, but at least they are being open and truthful with plenty of notice. Kinda reminds me of startup mode SmartThings promising things too early :slight_smile: I’m curious to see how much they charge for the Cam Plus subscription that combines continuous capture and person detection. If they can get some other detection algorithms stood up (car, package, etc) then they could easily sell that, too.

3 Likes
1 Like

Yeah - I’m with you on not being able to change batteries (e.g., Macbooks -that used to be an option). That said, I’m looking forward to mine arriving on Tuesday! At the price (after having bought Nest Cams a couple of years ago) - I’d say I’ll deal!

3 Likes

I blame Apple

1 Like

“Struggles to solve its person detection”, well that’s a horribly misleading title if I ever saw one. They’re not struggling to solve their person detection, they’ve got a perfectly working solution now, arguably more accurate although with slightly more latency as they’ve switched to server side AI processing now.

1 Like
1 Like

I don’t like the aesthetics, but a $36 video doorbell is bonkers.

Yeah, that’s what I said about the $30 tilt and pan indoor camera. And the $6 motion sensor. And the $25 fitness band with Alexa built in. :wink:

And the $40 no touch Forehead thermometer.

I wouldn’t believe it except that I have all of these products and they all work just fine. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

The thread needs to be renamed to just Wyze Interesting.

1 Like

At $36, we might even have one for the dog house :slight_smile:

Just updating this, since we’re using them at our house

No direct integration, but the sensors will trigger Alexa routines so you can get integration that way. :sunglasses:

https://www.reviewgeek.com/30114/wyze-sensors-now-work-with-alexa-for-dead-simple-home-automation/

The bug has gotten me too. 4 v2 cams, 1 pan cam, 2 bands and 1 outdoor cam. So far the outdoor cam is the only one that I feel like I haven’t gotten my money’s worth.

2 Likes

I didn’t try that one, we already had the whole yard covered with another system. What don’t you like about it?

It only records 12 second clips, even to the SD card.

1 Like

I had the same gripe but the fact that its very well built has smoothed that over for me. I used to have some of the V2 in housings outside, but with the sideways rain we often get in Florida, those didnt last.

Unless you pay for CamPlus at $1.99 per cam a month or $1.25 per cam per month with annual payment. While not much, it deterred me for now.

Not even that is an option for the outdoor camera in the public app/firmware.

3 Likes

Wyze V3 coming out. Kept the $20 + shipping price. Added higher FPS, color night vision, IP65 rating. Pretty impresive!

6 Likes