WyzeCam interesting

I wouldn’t be surprised if in the future they offered some kind of “premium” fee for storing longer clips and/or shortening the cool down time.

To me at least it seems silly that they don’t. But I may be the only one who really cares about this as I’ve never seen it mentioned as a new feature when they poll to see what will be on their road map. If it ever does change, I would have no issue adding them into my house.

You can vote here

1 Like

Just curious - What bout putting in an SD card? Do you not want to do this in case the camera gets stolen, you cannot retrieve your video?

Putting in an SD card eliminates all of these cloud recording issues for me.

I did vote, but seems that this is not something that is going to get any traction based on the number of votes it has gotten. I get it, people want features that help them, and stuff that is security related is rarely a feature anyone wants, well except those that are in the security industry. So I’ll continue to just watch from the bleachers and hope they do this some day. I mean I would have probably half a dozen cameras in my house if they had this.

Yes, if the camera is stolen I get nothing. I realize that I’m in the minority, but being in the computer security industry I’m probably just wired a bit differently than most folks.

Got it. Yeah for $20 it’s hard to make it fit everyone’s needs. I love these little things though! I have other cameras that work as ‘deterrents’ but I hide my Wyze cams pretty well so I am not as concerned about it being stolen. Was amazed at the features you gain by popping in a $5 uSD card.

Yea, I have a few that are what you would call my deterrents. I’ve already got 2 different ecosystems that I’m dealing with for cameras, and even at the cost, just not going to add another with these limitations.

For me, i would much rather have 3 days of free cloud storage with no 5 minute cool down, or maybe even a significantly shorter cool down.

Yeah, not sure they will ever change that since once the SD card is placed in, you do not have that 5 minute cool down restriction and the recording lasts as long as there is motion, all of which you can play back from the app.

Guess we will see what they develop as there are a number of things on the roadmap!

I’m not holding my breath, I’d love it if they do, but by the time they do I’ll probably have invested more in the 2 ecosystems I already have.

I have 4 of these with SD cards installed. I get continuous recording to the SD card. I also get cloud recording based on motion. It’s about 15 secs long but totally separate from the SD recording.

So a little puzzled as to the comments that if you have an SD card you don’t get cloud recording.???

1 Like

I don’t understand why people on here don’t think like I do. You see a product, and you want all the features and gizmos in that one product to be together. Listen, the hot topic discussion here is this: “but but but…mr. computerman, why can I haz only get 15 seconds of video footage, and the rest is on a stinky SD card boo hoooooo!!”…When you can think outside the box, and just…here, let me google that for you:

Done. Cheap camera. Cheap recording service. IFTTT integrated. I don’t see what the fuss is all about, it’s a great deal for a quality product.

so I’m assuming Wyze works with this even though it’s not listed as a supported camera?

It should. Angelcam is free for live viewing (not broadcasting though, that does have a small monthly fee per camera). But if you have a wyze camera, go ahead and give it a shot and report back to us :slight_smile:

I did check, it’s a $4/month fee per camera for 3 days worth of storage. And this won’t be storage of only motion tracked events, it’ll be the entire live feed for 3 days. If you had say three cameras in your house, that’s $12 a month for a solid camera security system. Seriously, any other system for cameras and cloud recording would cost you hundreds.

And another thing about this platform I like, is that you have a custom ‘motion alert email’. If your camera can send emails as alerts, have them sent to that email, and it’ll put timestamps in the feed for you for specific motion events while still recording up to 3 days worth of footage.

The reason why no one posted this and Google didn’t bring it up is probably because Wyze doesn’t support RTSP. It’s the reason why tons of solutions won’t work for Wyze :frowning:

Did you know? Angelcam works with over 90% of cameras!

We’re proud to say that Angelcam works with almost any camera, DVR, NVR, or other device that supports h.264 video encoding and RTSP streaming protocol , which is almost all of them currently available on the market

Here ya go :slight_smile: https://www.amazon.com/Wyze-Security-System-Firmware-Update/dp/B07FRV4HHY

This does appear to not be the Wyze Pan Cam, but, it looks like this works for the V1 and V2 cams. But it’d be nice if Wyze just got rtsp to work by default in all their cameras. They’re shooting themselves in the foot by not doing so, it’s an idiotic business move to not make that priority number one.

Yeah. I haven’t looked at it lately but I know at the time when I did, the CFW broke night vision which was a hard stop for me. I’ll have to check to see if thereve been updates. I’d like to add these to surveillance station on my NAS.

Oh, yeah no good. That’d be a hard stop for me as well. Yeah if I can’t have my cake and eat it too then there’s no point in me getting this camera at all. The product itself just isn’t worth it if I can’t tie it in with third party tools, in this case, since it’s a video device, I’d want to be able to see that footage someplace else. That’s one of the reasons I somewhat dislike my ring video doorbell. It doesn’t let me host my video footage elsewhere.

I’m planning on getting an Android Box and installing TinyCam to create a 24-hour NVR with my Wyzecams.

And I didn’t like the Ring Doorbell, either. Too much latency, and too difficult to tie into anything else in my Smarthome.

Don’t get me started about Ring… works with Google yet I can’t view it from the hub. Their motion sensitivity is horrible. (It’s either an alert every 5 seconds or an alert showing the person walking away from your house after they took your packages.). I’d switch to Nest but I’m holding out in hopes of a better integration.

Meanwhile you got me looking at this dang firmware again. I’ll probably have it loaded in the next day or so on one of my cameras. The video that was posted peaked my interest again.

1 Like