Rule machine - as per the app developer, this app is no longer available for new installs, distribution, or support

When was it submitted and how long does the process take? There are somewhat pointless apps in the appstore, but this one still isnt?

WAIT A SECOND! Haha! @bravenel used RM to post this on April 1st, but scheduling was screwed up…

Haha, you got us…please?

3 Likes

It actually never was submitted for publication, but we would have put it through the review process if it was.

1 Like

Responses like this and the complete lack of transparency that had been promised over and over is the problem.

Saying that there is transparency while at the same time ignoring the community. This company has turned its back on the community devs, plain and simple.

It won’t be long but I see this forum drying up completely. Since the release of V2 it’s been degrading daily.

It’s a sad state indeed.

7 Likes

Good point. From what I can see the core issue is a gap between what ST says and this “community app”. ST say they do not support it because of this reason. So let’s not give them any reason to not support it and let’s make it a “genuine engeneered reviewed ST app”?

And no disrespect to the community but greaving will not change much. I think everyone here knows ( or can at least imagine) how much time, efforts, imagination the project took. Whatever people say, nothing is better than seeing their app working and being used by everyone. I understand recognition is everything.

RM kicks the ass of most (I would say all) ST app. I used over 8 apps before RM. Now only 2.
ST are starting their reseller program. I have enrolled myself (I might be crazy you say) and RM is and would be my core controlling apps.

3 Likes

Sorry, not true. It was submitted 5 months ago. Never any response whatsoever. mox nix.

36 Likes

Personally, I never used it, but it was a great, powerful SmartApp. I have a mad amount of respect for the work that was done on this.

Keep Innovating!

6 Likes

Bruce - you’re right, it was submitted through our publication process. We haven’t prioritized the review of submitted SmartApps and Device Types in ways that we should.

I look forward to our platform issues being resolved so that we can coordinate the review and publication of Rule Machine. It fills the much needed gap of a versatile rule builder that we haven’t been able to develop or publish officially.

:heart:

19 Likes

Wow, that’s a CROCodile of excuses…I see a politician in the making… and we would want ST to support Rule Machine why? (rhetorical, please do not reply)

Does anyone really think that ST would just change their patented 3 week old email response to, “We are unaware/aware of the … and each and every involved employee is diligently working to make ST a better platform…by the way, did you know that our branded motion detectors are ½ off and even better, fast acting ST contact sensors are 2 for 1”

2 Likes

It’s actually 20% off with code SPRING!

9 Likes

Ha…Noting like doubling down on the devices while the platform that makes them work is ½ functional with the code of “Database Corruption”!

5 Likes

How ironic, this is exactly what everyone it talking about.
spring
VERB

1. move or jump suddenly
    “I sprang out of ST”
4 Likes

@bravenel Thank you for your efforts. When I came to ST I was very disappointed by the lack of rule based processing. I really put off buying more gear as the things I wanted to do really require something like Rule Machine. I’ve just recently gotten time to start back on my automation and the ST blow up happened.

Anyway, your work is the reason I was going to invest more in ST and now I’m sitting here wondering why I would even bother at the moment.

Thank you very much for showing me what is possible.

7 Likes

@bravenel. Thanks for all that you have done and hope ST can get it together and get you back into the fold.

5 Likes

Goodbye Smart?things! Without a robust Rule machine, it doesn’t make sense. I’m just going to sell the hub and migrate back to wink

4 Likes

I’m glad to see that this action by @bravenel has got the attention it deserves… But to be honest he should never have had to resort to this and it’s pretty disgraceful that it clearly was the only way to get it.

Whilst you are at it, it is only right that when you fix this state issue and approve his app, that you also ensure that it can run offline properly.

One of the main reasons that I bought hub v2 was because it was advertised as working offline… The smart lighting app alone does not come anywhere near fulfilling this criteria.

If you allowed Rule Machine to work offline, I think you’ll find that for many people they’d feel significantly less bitter about the omission of this important feature in the hub, and it would be a nice gesture by Smartthings to put this whole issue to bed.

6 Likes

Bad PR for sure for ST. all though i’m not going to criticise @slagle and @jody.albritton personally as they do a lot to communicate issues where they can, allthough whats happening at the backend god only knows especially as the new TV’s are starting to become available for sale…i think theres a lot more pain before things improve

@slagle said on Feb 3 that it was next on the publication review list. :anguished:

5 Likes

We literally just today finished the last app in a round of apps for the impending OAuth Change today (Took much longer than I would have liked). I would like to start a new round in the next week or two.

1 Like

With all this crazy stuff going on, I have a question:

How do I make a backup copy of my rules in rule machine?
You know…just in case I lose them and need to reload them.
I know how to copy groovy code and save it off line and in github.
But I can’t seem to figure out how to backup and restore copies of rules.
Anybody have a clue for me?

What we create takes time and is valuable, and recreating it is no fun.
I painfully learned to make backups 40 years ago…and I do it with
everything…always!