Rule machine - as per the app developer, this app is no longer available for new installs, distribution, or support

All I know at this point, is that I had 20-30 Smart Lighting instances running local and now I have this:

The only thing that has changed is that I added a few new instances with Hue lights. And the Hue are the only cloud devices, everything else is eligible to run local.

I’ll add one with a hub bulb and see what happens. hold on.

Edit:

I don’t know man, I just made a quick rule in smart lighting using a local running contact sensor and a hue bulb. Nothing changed on my list.

WTF…I need to reinitialiaze them…Look at this…Crazy stuff!

Huh? oh, wait… I think I know what you mean… I made rules in smart lighting that I knew were going to run local and they didn’t show up until I went in and clicked done on them.

These are rules that I’ve created months ago and were showing local before I created the new non-local ones. At least I know how to get them back now…

1 Like

Rule Machine Withdrawn

In light of the ongoing serious degradation of the SmartThings platform, and the total lack of transparency into the problems with the platform by the company, I have reached the conclusion that it is prudent to no longer support Rule Machine in this environment.

Rule Machine is subject to random failure due to the degraded platform. The platform randomly causes corrupted Rules that may continue to function in unpredictable ways. There is nothing that I as the author can do to correct this. I cannot in good conscience recommend that you rely on Rule Machine. SmartThings itself offers no support.

You may continue to use Rule Machine if you have installed it. There will be no support other than that provided by other Community members. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. You may not distribute Rule Machine or Rule to others.

30 Likes

So sorry to hear about your decision. It doesn’t come as a surprise. I hope that one day Rule 10.0 will come back! If you find a new home for it, or a better home for your ideas, please, please let me know.

4 Likes

I can understand where your coming from but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Rule Machine has made Smart Things livable. I hope that ST can find a way to make you keep developing. I’m sure your not the only developer who is frustrated and without you developers the system is pretty much useless.

Hopefully you will come back in the future if not and you use another platform let me know

Well sh!t.

6 Likes

That is extremely upsetting but not in the least bit unexpected.
I sincerely hope that you remain in the forums and if, IF, smartthings gets their act together that you will begin support again.

I honestly believe they will, but I understand that you have a much deeper vesting in their platform than I do, and I do not blame you for this move.

Unfortunately, I also believe this is only the beginning.

As others have said, please let me know if and when you find another platform, as I would definitely join you.

5 Likes

I totally understand the decision. I would do the same (Beeing a server admin on a shitty hardware
Waisting time in debuging when it’s all related to hardware).

Understandable, but still a bummer. SmartThings better get their stuff together quickly.

1 Like

As much as I hate to admit it…it’s probably the right thing to do.

Think I’m gonna cuss my Hub for awhile…contemplate torturing it…seems fair :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This is a damn shame, but totally understandable. I can’t imagine trying to support an app like that in this environment.

The inconsistency of app state lately has me disabling more and more of my automations (or, more accurately, just not bothering to fix them).

If you find a new platform, please let us know.

1 Like

Fully understand and respect your decision - and please let me once again thank you for all your contributions that furthered ST even against all odds!

I do have a small question though - does the ST IDE currently display another “feature” where all my apps and device handlers show up in blue, listed as vcs.source.null on mouse-over or is this caused by my account still being linked to the Rule-Trigger Github repository that is no longer available? Anyone else seeing this? I was not able to figure out how to remove the repo to check whether this would solve the issue - I remember there being a delete button somewhere but have not been able to find that today…

In order to fix your Github Repo Associations in IDE:

1. Go into the settings of ‘Rule’ and ‘Rule Machine’ and remove the github repo association

2. Go into ‘Settings’ on the SmartApps page and remove the Rule Machine repo.

3 Likes

Kick it, but don’t waterboard it! Miracles do happen and when Rule pops up again you might need it!

2 Likes

Sad day around here, that’s for sure. This hurts @jody.albritton and I as much as it does you guys. We never want to see something like this.

Saying that, the issue that affects rule machine has been identified and a fix is in the works.

12 Likes

So…transparency and all…what was the issue?

2 Likes

DB issue with states.

2 Likes