With Groovy on its way out…

@philh30 , sorry for naive question, but i believe this one is what i’ll need… but what do i do with this code? I assume in the IDE, but where/how? Thanks

Those are the fingerprints of devices included in the ST-managed Edge drivers. Edge drivers are in beta, so you have the option of using them for your devices, with the understanding that you may run into bugs, or sticking with Groovy DTHs for now. Edge drivers have the benefit of running locally on your hub, which should mean faster execution and greater reliability. Troubleshooting them is a little more complicated right now, since their logs are only visible through the Command Line Interface (CLI) and don’t show on the Groovy IDE Live Logging page.

If you stick with Groovy, your devices will be automatically transitioned to Edge drivers when ST decides that it’s time to make the switch. If you want to use the Edge drivers now, the topic below has instructions for installing the ST drivers on your hub.

1 Like

This is incredibly helpful… Thank you so much! Happy New year!

1 Like

I plowed through some of the info you provided… As I’m perfectly content with all behaviors right now, I don’t think there’s enough reason to dig into the Beta world right now- especially since it appears that conversion will be automatic at a later point, and the need right now to delete devices in order to change over to Edge drivers will be a big job. However, I may as well do my window treatments’ fresh install with Edge- and I believe the Glydea fingerprint will be the correct one. Can you outline how I would do this install?

1 Like

That sounds like a good plan. It’s pretty simple - this is probably more detail than you need:

1. If you’ve installed any custom Groovy DTHs that include the fingerprints for the devices that you’re trying to join to Edge, you’ll need to either delete those from the Groovy IDE or edit them to comment out or delete the fingerprint lines. This probably doesn’t apply unless you already have Zigbee window shades.

2. In the topic that I linked in my last post, click on the channel invitation (under the Getting Started section). Enroll in the channel, then continue to the Available Drivers page and choose to install the zigbee-window-treatment driver. You can check the list of installed drivers by looking at the hub device in the app.

3. (OPTIONAL) You may want to download and set up the CLI so that you can see logs. The ST drivers are sparse on logging though - you’ll likely only see the zigbee radio transmissions and ST event generation.

4. Follow the normal inclusion process to join your devices. If they successfully join with an Edge driver, they will show as device type placeholder and with cloud execution when you look in the Groovy IDE (the old IDE doesn’t properly recognize Edge devices, so ignore the cloud part). In the app, the little menu on the device screen that you use to Edit the device name/room or to change device Settings will also have a Driver option.

4 Likes

I have not seen this stated by ST staff anywhere: do you have a link? All I’ve seen is that Edge is still in development and transition details will be provided in the future.

For example:

I’ve also seen it said that custom DTHs will not be automatically converted to edge drivers. You can delete the device and re-add it and it should pick up a stock Edge Driver if there is one that matches the fingerprint, but that’s not the same thing.

So I think we just don’t know yet what the transition process will be. But maybe I missed something. :thinking:

@nayelyz @merrick777

1 Like

I may be reading too much into that, but my interpretation of “seamless” is that Z-Wave/Zigbee devices will be moved over to Edge and the fingerprinting process will map them to an “appropriate driver”. My own experience with legacy z-wave devices tells me that it’s possible to move from a DTH to Edge without exclude/include, though at the moment it requires exploiting a loophole. Admittedly, it’s speculation until a ST staffer maps out the customer transition and firmly says “You will not need to exclude/include your z-wave/zigbee devices as part of the transition”, but the alternative - that they’re expecting all of their customers to think “seamless” means hauling their hub up a ladder to exclude/include their devices - is ridiculous.

Let’s not conflate “custom DTHs” with “devices using custom DTHs”. You’re correct that ST is not converting custom DTHs by rewriting community members’ Groovy code in Lua. However, I would again argue that “seamless” will not mean deleting/re-adding a device. I’d also argue that ST isn’t going to keep the Groovy cloud going just because someone is still using a custom DTH. So “custom DTHs” will not be rewritten, but “devices using custom DTHs” will be mapped to an Edge driver.

Also, please don’t take one sentence out of context to play gotcha. The post you decided to quote was in response to the specific question “what do i do with this code?”. The code in question was a snip of the fingerprints for two specific Somfy zigbee devices in a stock ST driver. I stand by that sentence in its context, as I fully expect those devices to be automatically transitioned to that particular Edge driver at some point in the future.

2 Likes

My apologies if I wasn’t clear: I definitely wasn’t looking for a “gotcha.“ As I said, I didn’t recall seeing anything that the transition would be automatic, but I also said I might’ve missed it, and clearly I did from the post that you quoted. So thank you for that.

2 Likes

Thanks again @philh30 ! I joined the channel and installed a few. I currently have 13 devices showing in IDE with ‘placeholder’ and Cloud Execution… How would that happen? Some of these devices showed ‘placeholder’ well before I joined the channel or attempted anything with Edge. I have not deleted/re-added any devices since installing the Edge drivers.

Your cell phone and WiFi devices linked the ST will also show up as placeholders.

Yep, that’s a few of them, but there are also Arlo cameras and a bunch of zwave switches

Is there any reason not to just go down the whole list and install everything?

Cameras are WiFi devices.

Are the z-wave switches that are showing as placeholders the child devices of multi-endpoint switches? If they don’t have the driver option in the app’s device menu then they’re not on Edge drivers.

Up to you. I haven’t, but I’m not big on clutter if I’m not using it. The only downside you’re likely to encounter is if you buy a new device that joins to one of those drivers but doesn’t work well, like if you have a shade that’s not fingerprinted in the window treatment driver so it maps to the switch driver instead based on the command classes it supports.

1 Like

Ha! Ok, so I have no idea what that even means- however your question forced me to think about those devices, and I believe they’re all Lutron switches that are connected via a Lutron Hub.

If this happens, will fixing it be a simple matter of going into the IDE and changing the Device Type as would currently do?

1 Like

Currently, when a device joins, it either goes left to Edgeland or right towards Groovytown. Once it picks a path, the only way to make it go the other way is to exclude it and start over. No other way to swap from a driver to a DTH or vice versa.

3 Likes

Lutron is not zwave: it uses its own proprietary protocol called “clear connect.“

The Lutron/SmartThings integration is cloud to cloud, so you would expect those devices to be listed as “placeholder.“

2 Likes

IDE is only geared towards groovy. You can’t use it to change the device type to Edge drivers or any cloud-to-cloud integrations. Also worth pointing out that the current IDE will most likely be phased out when groovy is shut down.

2 Likes

Right, I recall you saying that in another thread. Will there be (or is there) a place to see what’s going on with Edge driver devices?

In anticipation of my new shades install, I’ve added the TaHoma hub to my network. It’s supposed to be a natively supported ST device, so I’m guessing that I won’t need to exclude and re-add it now that I’ve installed Edge drivers(?)

My guess is things will be rolled over to the ST app.

1 Like