Wireless Sensor Tags Integration

I have the first pass of an integration ready for Wireless Sensor Tags. There is a service manager SmartApp that allows you to log into your Wireless Sensor Tags account and reads what tags you have registered. You can then choose which tags to connect to SmartThings.

The main support so far is for the Wireless Motion Sensor Tags (temperature, humidity, motion, and open/close plus more). The moisture / water sensor should also work, but I didn’t have one to test. The other types of tags should mostly work as well, since their system reports data consistently from the different tag types.

You can get the code here:

I’ve tested it quite a bit locally, but there may be a few bugs left to iron out. I need a couple beta testers to verify. :smile:

Here is the link to the tags themselves: http://www.wirelesstag.net/

18 Likes

How responsive are they when it comes to triggering ST events?

This is very cool. And at $25 makes a lot of sense where just one sensor is needed (for Garage Door open/closed state for example).

http://wirelesstags.myshopify.com/products/long-range-motion-sensor-tag

Any idea if the moisture sensor could be used as a plant sensor?

Also looking forward to hearing how responsive the tags are for triggering ST.

I’m thinking the humidity sensor on the tags could be a better solution for triggering a bathroom fan during showers vs using motion (which isn’t is a reliable indicator and always turns the fan on when someone just walks in), or attaching the sensor tag to the shower curtain (cheaper and smaller than a multi).

Thanks for this… it is awesome. A few Q’s and observations:

You have an input in the Connect app labeled “Minutes before motion (acceleration) is deactivated:”. What does this mean? It seems to be the amount of time before the tag is re-armed. This is a global setting, whereas in W.S.T., it can be set on a per tag level.

In the device, “Refresh” doesn’t seem to ping the tag. Don’t you think it should before updating the values?

My DoorClosed tile only shows “–”, as does “Arm & Set Door Position” once it is tapped. Is that expected behavior?

Thanks again! Did I say this is awesome!!!

Hello.

I have followed instructions at https://github.com/st-swanny/smartthings/tree/master/WirelessTags, but I cannot see “Wireless Tags (Connect)”. In my Android phone, in the Smarthings Dashboard I tap in the “+” sign (Smartsetup) -> More->Convenience but I don’t see anything about Wireless Tags. I have killed and started the Smarthings application but with same results.

Thanks.

@Ben The tag manager device is required in addition to the tags, so it makes one sensor pretty expensive. For a number of sensors, it becomes pretty interesting though. It really looks like the moisture sensor is meant as a plant sensor, but I don’t have one to try out.

@sgonsalves The open/close and movement are quite sensitive as they use callbacks from when the tag recognizes motion. Water should also work the same way, but it’s not fully tested. Currently, the other sensors are more passive and would just update periodically. There is functionality for a specific temperature and humidity events, but I haven’t connected those in the integration. I probably can if people want to use them.

@scottinpollock Glad someone was able to get it set up. :smile:

Right now that motion setting is local to the integration and does not use the WST setting. Do you see yourself wanting to use them separately?
For refresh, I was currently thinking of it as a refresh from WST rather than a full refresh of the state. It shouldn’t be a big deal to do a ping and refresh though. I’ll look into it.
I wasn’t seeing the two “–” things you mention. Are you on Android? I wonder if they are differences in the app display, but I’ll also check out the code tonight when I have some time.

@Swapper On my iPhone, the app appears under the convenience button on the main page rather than under the + sign. Do you have the Convenience option off the main page of the app?

[quote=“swanny, post:7, topic:5259”]
Right now that motion setting is local to the integration and does not use the WST setting. Do you see yourself wanting to use them separately?[/quote]

Absolutely! I already have a number of these set differently. Shower door, turns on timer based lights to indicate warmup time, and vanity lights afterwards. I don’t want another trigger coming along for 10 minutes or so. While in other situations such as lighting up rooms that have been entered you may want it longer or shorter. For closets, you probably want it very short.

I am having some refresh problems, but not sure where they’re coming from. I am seeing some changed temp values in the activity report that aren’t consistent. Is this polling independent of W.S.T. autoupdates? It always updates if I ping (or autoupdate) the tag, but not consistent otherwise. Of course this could just be more polling issues with SmartThings.

Yes.

@scottinpollock
I am having some refresh problems, but not sure where they’re coming from. I am seeing some changed temp values in the activity report that aren’t consistent. Is this polling independent of W.S.T. autoupdates? It always updates if I ping (or autoupdate) the tag, but not consistent otherwise. Of course this could just be more polling issues with SmartThings.

Right now, the polling / refresh when executed in SmartThings gets the latest value that W.S.T. had reported from the tags. There are two latency points in the current process: time for tags to report to W.S.T. and time for my ST integration to poll W.S.T. You can see in the ST logs what is actually getting set in the ST device state. If the poll or refresh commands don’t happen from ST, then you could have a really big gap from actual to reality. I’m seeing that happen too. I may just add some polling to the SmartApp if it hasn’t been triggered by ST recently.

For the ‘–’ issue, I have seen a similar thing on iOS related to state that hasn’t been set. I’ll check out the code and see if I can see any obvious reasons why it may be happening.

I’m going to try to act on some of this feedback this weekend, so keep it coming if you all have more thoughts.

I don’t have the Convenience option in the main page.

@Swapper Try hitting the + from the main screen and going to the far right where it says “My Apps”. Does it show up there? If not, you may want to go back and try to do the publish step for the SmartApp again.

Hi swanny

I don’t have the “My Apps” section, after hitting “+” I only see “Things, Alerts, Actions, and More”. Below “More” I see the Convenience section, inside Convenience I see 12 elements but nothing about Wireless Tags.

I have deleted Device Types and SmartApp from my Smarthings web account. I have recreated again, rebooted my Lg G2 smartphone but the result is the same.

In the “My SmartApps” menu of my SmartThings web account I can see the SmartApp published:

and the Device Type:

I have found that if you exit the smart application on the phone and then reload that the my apps section shows up

@Swapper The MyApps section should appear to the right of More in “Things, Alerts, Actions, and More”. It may be worthwhile to email support in this case if killing the app on your phone and restarting it doesn’t allow the app to show up there. I can’t see anything you’ve done wrong from the screenshots.

It’s not killing the app that you have to do. you have to log out of the ST app, then log back in.

happened to me

1 Like

Interesting. On iOS, killing the app generally seems to force a refresh for me in these situations. @greg, maybe Android is different in that way?

I’m pretty sure I had to log out and back in on iOS. But I do use both iOS and Android, so I’m not positive which one I was using at the moment.

I’ve put a new update on GitHub. Instructions to update your install are located there as well.

Changes:

• Per tag motion re-arm timer (min 60 sec until a bug is fixed in WST backend)
  • Added SmartApp polling of tag status (time setting in SmartApp)
  • Device refresh now pings tag and then gets update
  • Add special case for PIR tag motion detection (not tested)
  • Initialize and refresh water state, not just using callbacks (water sensor not fully tested)
  • Tried to improve “–” appearing in device at times (can’t see it locally on iOS and doubt all are fixed)

Outstanding items:

• Fix remaining device tile “–” issues (only on Android?)
  • Add support for temperature and humidity callbacks

Let me know what you think or if you have any issues.

1 Like

After loging out the SmartThings application on my Smartphone, my account was locked. I had to contact support to unlock it. Now I can see Myapps section

Thanks.

Now I can see my 2 motion tags and 1 water sensor.
It would be possible to configure the SmartApp to provide temperature in ºC instead ºF?