Wired ZWave Smoke / Carbon Monoxide Detectors

Nest has persistently denied SmartThings’ requests for official Integration because it does not meet their security requirements. Nest wants to limit what features an integration can control in order to prevent anything from Disabling the smoke sensor functions. But the smartthings model opens up all features to developers so they just have not had compatible design philosophies. This was true even before they changed the “works with“ program. There has never been an official nest/smartthings integration in the US or anywhere else.

So I think it unlikely that there will be one in the future.

That makes a lot of sense although doesn’t bode well. It’s frustrating when Apple/Google/Amazon close themselves up like this.

I switched my doorbell to the hello because there was a time Ring were talking about an integration with Google Assistant but it never came, then Amazon bought Ring and it was game over. Now Ring want you to be invested only in their ecosystem and that’s where I jump ship.

@freddyq
The Nest Hello is going to suffer the same lock down as other Nest products like the Protect.

I am waiting for the Netatmo Doorbell.

I had also considered the SkyBell Trim Plus
http://www.skybell.com/product/skybell-video-doorbell-trim-plus/
But I remain worried they are on the verge of going bust.

True although I aleady have several Google home minis and a home hub so much more invested in the Google ecosystem than Amazon/Ring so although it’ll be really crappy when Google lock down these products as well, I will still have a more connected system.

Didn’t know about the Netatmo doorbell…interesting.

OK. It’s 2023 and it seems we’re still looking for an answer to the original question. Is there a detector that:

1. Is Z-wave (to connect up to my Ring hub)
  2. Is WIRED, not battery powered (battery backup, of course is OK). As the original poster wanted, I just want to swap out my wired alarm and not have to hassle with batteries.
  3. Detects both smoke and CO
  4. Is available in the US

As far as I know it still does not exist.

The following is an alternate way to use standard hard wired smoke/CO detectors.

“Zooz Z-Wave Plus Smoke and CO Detector Bridge ZEN55 800LR - The Smartest House” Zooz Z-Wave Plus Smoke and CO Detector Bridge ZEN55 800LR - The Smartest House

1 Like

Hm. I can check into that – however, I’ve had a very bad experience with Zooz. I installed their combo dimmable/fan switch and another standard switch (figured I’d go z-wave to take some of the load off of my router that is handling all the other devices).

They were funky from the start and simply failed after about a month (and well after they could have been returned.)

But I may look into it! Thanks for the tip.

Our house, too, is set up with wired alarms and the Zooz ZEN55 device. It was painless to install on the interconnected alarms & also acts as a ZWave repeater. When any alarm detects smoke, all alarms sound. The ZEN55 senses the interconnect signal, notifies the SmartThings hub, and the SmartThings Home Monitor turns on a bunch of lights–a significant safety feature in the middle of the night when you’re already stumbling around!

Highly recommended–as is the whole line of current Zooz devices!

1 Like