Wink moving to subscription model on May 13, 2020 (now set for July 27, 2020)

Honestly, I feel like I’ve given Samsung very little of my money but have reaped tremendous benefits…

At $5/month, I wouldn’t be bothered a bit to keep all of the functions of the Classic App. $10…a stretch but again, if they would add (bring back) more features like contacts and allow user selectable updates, I’ll pay gladly.

Especially if my system continues to work flawlessly!!!

SmartThings is freaking awesome!

This is coming from someone who was going to jump ship not too long ago.

2 Likes

The Twitter post is quite interesting in the middle of the article.

https://www.gdrlawfirm.com/Wink-class-action

1 Like

Good luck. This is in the terms of service every wink user accepted

True, but looking at the lawsuit that @jkp linked to, they may have a “bait and switch” argument that other home automation devices didn’t walk into. That’s because Wink did indeed print on the boxes for some of the devices “no fees,“ as well as putting that on the website without the usual little * leading to the terms.

And the thing about bait and switch is that it is specifically regarding activities prior to the purchase, so it can’t be fixed by the fine print terms. In fact, it very specifically can’t be fixed by that kind of fine print. It’s false advertising, not a violation of the terms of service.

So it’s an interesting approach. I’m not saying they would win, but they did move it to a different playing field. :sunglasses:

4 Likes

I don’t really don’t care about the lawsuit either way but I thought I would share this since I have it. I have an unopened Wink one that Home Depot gave me for free when I bought a GE Link bulb. Never bothered to open it or sell it. But you can see on the box in the pic below it says “No monthly fees or subscriptions”

1 Like

Yeah, and in the US under false advertising laws you can’t fix what’s on the outside of the box with fine print inside the box. So legally it’s an interesting argument.

We should keep these topics focused on how to help out the new folks coming over from Wink and leave the lawyering to the lawyers. Just my two cents :slight_smile:

Sure, as far as the “how to” threads. But we have IOT industry discussions on these kinds of issues in the forum all the time. Both as far as industry trends and with regard to how individuals make buying decisions for themselves. This one doesn’t seem any different than others that we’ve had. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Fair enough. Lawyer on. :wink:

8 Likes

By the way, @jody.albritton, you might want to pin this, that it would be on the top of the Wiki list on the main page of the forum. Just to make it easier to find.

3 Likes

1 of 3, not bad! :grimacing:

4 Likes

Which one?

1 Like

The deadline has been extended to May 20, 2020

1 Like

In the meantime, only third party vendors on Amazon have the hub in stock.

The SmartThings hub? Walmart has it in stock (at least as of this writing). That is, sold by Walmart, not third parties. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Wink is losing MyQ…

Dear valued myQ® User,

Effective June 1st, 2020, you will no longer be able to use your myQ garage door opener from the Wink® platform. You will, however, still be able to monitor and control your garage from the myQ App (as you can do today).

Delivering solutions is important to us and we will continue to work with leading connectivity brands to complete your smart home experience.

We encourage you to visit our Works with myQ page for more information on other partner integrations and exciting services.

Thanks for being myQ connected!

The myQ Team

2 Likes

Way to kick a dying company further down into the ground. I am not surprised about myQ, they are next…

1 Like

1 Like

Wait, Wink was in such a rough spot that NOT taking any of the subscription money is going to keep their free service going?? Ha!

Makes me wonder if one of the lawsuits threatened could actually tread water.

1 Like