Windows sensors for netatmo thermostat

Hi all,

I need your support, I have a Netatmo smart thermostat that is integrated in Smarthings app, and I need to add to my system some windows sensors compatible with Smarthings. My goal is to set up a routine to set the thermostat to “away” when the windows are opened, and come. back to standard when closed, to save energy. Do anyone can support me in choosing the appropriate windows sensors compatible with smarthings? Is anyone using a similar automation?
Thanks

Sure, that’s a pretty common use case. :sunglasses:

We need to ask a couple of questions first.

1. what country are you in? The device selection does vary.

2. do you have a smartthings/Aeotec hub? Or are you working without one? It’s fine. It’s fine Either way, there are methods and devices that will work, but again, the device selection does vary.

1 Like

Thanks a lot.

I am in Italy, and I am using a Philips Hue bridge to connect all my hue lamps, motion sensors and smart buttons/dimmers. I also have the Netatmo bridge for the thermostat.
All my devices are also connected with Alexa, for which I have 3 Echo speakers.
It would be perfect if the windows sensors are connected with the hue bridge via zigbee, and integrated in Smarthings.
I hope this answers your questions.
Thanks!

1 Like

Any news on this issue? Thanks

Which model Alexa devices do you have? Specifically do you have one with a zigbee hub inside?

don’t rember exactly the model but unfortunately it’s not the zigbee one. I have Philips Hue hub which is zigbee

Ok, I’ve been hoping someone from Europe would respond, but in the meantime, here’s what I know.

1. The Hue Hub uses zigbee, but it’s not an all purpose zigbee hub and only accepts some devices (from the old Zigbee Light Link categories, FWIW). As far as I know, there are no open/close sensors of any brand that work with it.

2. the best option is probably to wait a few months and then find a Matter-compatible sensor that will hopefully work with one of your echo devices that has been updated to be a Thread Border Router. There should be quite a few choices by this summer.

1. If you just can’t wait, you’ll need to get a WiFi sensor, and most of those have terrible battery life. The one exception, and fortunately it is one that works with SmartThings, is Shelly. It won’t show up in your Hue app, but it will show up in both Alexa routines and SmartThings routines, so you can do a lot with it.

https://www.shelly.cloud/en-it/products/product-overview/shelly-door-window-2

thank you very much for your support!

1 Like