Windows Phone App Issues [URGENT - Broken for 28 days - Fix it!]

So it has been some time since I last chimed in on this subject so I figured I might as well give an update. While I can say I have somehow been able to add Things into the system I still can’t configure any of them. For example I have a GE Outdoor Z-Wave Smart Switch that controls a LED rope light for my back yard and while I can directly go to Things and tap it to turn it on or off if I try to add it into the Smart Lighting app it will crash out Smartthings completely. In addition I bought a couple D-Link cameras that are compatible but if I try to program them into the Home Monitor that will crash it too. Running the latest build of Windows 10 Mobile on my Nokia Lumia 1520 still currently.

New update coming for Windows Phone: https://blog.smartthings.com/news/smartthings-updates/smartthings-on-windows-mobile/

1 Like

After this whole fiasco, I’m pretty skeptical. But I do hope they prove me wrong.

I do think their support staff need to all get on the same page since we all got mixed messages.

i do think im very sceptical of that post by Leah. I do think its a case of overpromising here especially as there is no announcement of a fix for the guid display issue. @slagle said on the developer call very recently that although they are not dropping win mobile its just not a priority for the handful of us there are which is fair enough.

My household are all windows phone users and imho i don’t really need the app on them… I just use an old ipad for adding things/rules…i know some of you will also say you don’t have a device, for you I would say that I just picked up an android lollipop tablet for £24 (BTC Flame) for another cheap wall controller, although it has a dire screen the tablet is fast and responsive. Pick up one of these just for ST.

I would much rather time and effort was put towards a desktop platform, or possibly a web front end as this IMHO is mire sorely needed.

2 Likes

What does “Rooms capability” means in that blog? Is that something people can do in the Android or iOS that I can’t do in Windows Phone now?

Windows update is now live.

2 Likes

Hooray!!! Device ID problem fixed.
Seem very stable!!!
:smile:

1 Like

I can confirm that the Device ID problem is fixed for me as well.

1 Like

All seems to be working again, the annoying ‘multiple click to go back’ issue also seems to be fixed. Took a long time, but thank you SmartThings for not abandoning Windows Phone users :smiley:

Now, let’s have a universal app with a potential user base of millions, be great on all the new 2 in 1 devices, laptops and tablets that are increasing in popularity :blush:

2 Likes

Wow @jody.albritton I eat my words…well done, very well done indeed!

1 Like

Problem initially reported: 29-Jan-2016
Problem finally resolved: 10-Mar-2016
Total time to resolve problem: 41 days

This totally fills me with confidence for further updates. I’d like to say “wait and see”, but all enthusiasm or interest has been killed by how frustrating this was.

2 Likes

I am not disagreeing with you. In a lot of ways, I am agreeing with you.

…but we are the 3% and holding on.

I hope ST won’t let go of us like other companies did.

2 Likes

We are the 3%? Universal Windows App. Then SmartThings will be available on over 200 million devices.

4 Likes

Very happy to see this working again. I was able to fix the damage I did to my configuration with the broken app.
Now I just need triggered actions to become more than 80% reliable!
e.g. Disarm on presence, turn light off at this time etc.

2 Likes

I take back my thanks, now I can’t add a presence sensor without the app crashing :frowning:

1 Like

That 200 million devices count doesn’t really take into consideration the breakdown and relevance to SmartThings in either the short or long-term:

• How many of those devices are in regions where their Hub and service are sold?
  • Then how many of those devices are residential vs commercial installations?
  • Then how many of those are likely to be in a household that is likely to buy their products?
  • etc, etc, etc

Market sizing is as much of an art as it is a science. Throwing around arbitrarily large numbers without any real context to the group you are asking to invest is likely to simply get you ignored.

Having worked on many business cases over the years, there is always a cost and ROI analysis that has to be made.

Also, putting on my product management hat for a minute, you also have to take into consideration market timing of any such investments. Because there is always an “opportunity cost” when you position R&D resources on a given task, especially in an already resource constrained environment. So you have to make decisions like “does it make more sense today for me to put resources on problem/function/feature XYZ or ABC”. And the answer to that question is often complex.

As much as we all want the features that we personally want, we also have to take a step back and look at the complexity of the problem that SmartThings has here in looking at what the right mix and balance is. That’s just the simple business reality that any product development group has to deal with, from the smallest startups to the largest corporations.

2 Likes

I can finally say that all of my major issues with the app on Windows 10 Mobile seem to be resolved. The app no longer crashes for no reason and the menu system seems to work much more fluid. I was actually able to integrate my cameras into it the way I wanted and fix my smart lighting configurations and for that matter the issue of having to hit the back button at least 3 times to back out of a screen is finally gone. I am very pleased with the latest update indeed!!!

3 Likes

Those 200 million devices mostly are using some sort of smart devices already and 97% or more of them are not using Windows Mobile. The Universal Windows App will not have enough persuasion to convince those people to move away from the Android or iOS, at least not at the beginning.

App wise, users care more what is available on the mobile device than the computers. I have 4 machines out of those 200 million devices, I could not care less what app is available on the computer, it is nice to have but not essential because I can do the same thing if not more in the browser, with better experience sometimes. From a company stand point, this is also the huge reason the Universal Windows App has not pick up as us Windows Mobile users hope. Look at the current situation, Facebook App is develop by Microsoft, Instagram beta finally came out 4 days ago on Windows 10, SnapChat-no, Periscope-no, Official Google stuffs-no (Waze- no more update), the no list is so long…

I cannot imagine the Universal Windows App for ST will boost the sale for them, users will still do ST things in the mobile device and users will be happy enough. Most of them probably don’t care if they don’t have ST app in their computer. Again, is nice to have but not essential. As for as ST concerns, we are the 3% and I am glad they are still standing with us.

It doesn’t matter how many of those 200 million devices are already using something else. It’s about the apparent potential market. As a comparison, SmartThings often talks about the number of developers in a way that doesn’t really conflate with the actual active developers.

Taking an existing Windows Phone app and making it a Universal Windows App will give access to a LOT of devices. That’s all.

2 Likes

Hi Jody,

I am having issues displaying the MultiAttributeTile for a device handler on the windows mobile app…
Is this implemented in the Windows Mobile App?
At home, I only have Windows devices (4 Win10 Mobiles and 2 PC and 1 Surface)…

So far, the lack of support on the Windows front made it quite difficult to fully enjoy the potential of Smartthings. I only hope all this will change soon with a Win10 Universal app with feature to the level of the iOS / Android one (even if the Windows code has been ported directly from the iOS code base as more and more windows apps seems to be (instagram, candy crush etc)…

Please let me know how I can use the multiAttributeTile with the windows app.
Thanks

Tony.

1 Like