Will there be a Stock Edge Weather tile?

@nayelyz Sorry for the tag but I wasn’t sure who else to tag.
Do you know if Smartthings plans to add an Edge based weather tile like the stock smartapp weather tile before groovy is shut down?

(I know there is a community created driver that requires external hardware which is not what I’m asking about)

6 Likes

While not wanting to distract from the purpose of the thread, may I ask why you would want an Edge based weather tile? I understand why you might like an Edge based driver for personal weather stations that haven’t been cloud connected, but why would you use Edge for what is otherwise inherently cloud sourced data?

ST already provides a pretty decent weather obs and forecasts service via the API, with a small selection of metrics also made available in the Rules API. What does presenting weather as a device, legacy style, offer?

At least in the US the existing Goovy Weather Station tile let’s you tie into person weather stations owned by anyone that connects them to the internet. There are several near my home and cabin.

Good question. I can’t figure out where or how to start with the API despite reading the getting started documents serval times. I need a tutorial for complete beginners on how to install everything. The format and coding I could figure out with the help of Google.
I was just barely able to get the CLI working for logs.
If there was a more user friendly option available that would be great but it doesn’t sound like that’s going to happen, at least anytime soon based on the silence surrounding this request.

The current weather smartapp just works and gives all the data needed. I don’t really care if it’s cloud based or local.

1 Like

Hi, @Terri_Baker!

No problem about the tag. Unfortunately, I don’t have information about that.
I suggest you contact the Customer Support team, they handle all the issues/questions related to the ST app (non-development or customization related).
You can ask them to see if they know something about that or make a feature request. :smiley:

This is their contact info:

Through the SmartThings Web page

1. Enter this page
  2. Click on “Support” in the upper-right corner
  3. Check if the URL includes your region. For example, en-us here: https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us
  4. At the bottom, select “email” and describe your issue as detailed as possible.
  5. Click on “submit”

From the ST app

1. Open the SmartThings app
  2. Go to the menu tab at the bottom-right corner.
  3. On this page, select the option “contact us” and then go to “Report a problem”
  4. Accept the generation of logs, fill up the form describing your issue as detailed as possible, and screen captures of the issue always help.
  5. Click on “submit”. The Customer team will receive this info.

Via email

US: 1-866-813-2404
US: support@smartthings.com
UK support 0333 0000333
UK: support@smartthings.co.uk
CA: support@smartthings.ca

Are you explicitly looking for Edge weather driver? Or your primary concern is that you still want a Weather device to continue working after Groovy is shutdown (eg. a weather device that continues working in the next-gen platform)?

I’m looking for a weather smartapp device that will give detailed forecast and current temp in the next-gen platform.

2 Likes

The current weather tile ST provide is unacceptable, i do not want to be moved outside of the app and onto a web page full of adverts, no other smart app for HA does this

Some are full featured, others more basic but all contained within there own app

The old DTH weather tile had the ability to just add a zip or postcode and you had detailed weather stats on a device tile and alot of the details provided were actionable

4 Likes

Stumbled on this thread as I’m looking for the same thing.

To answer this question, I want to be able to use realtime data for my specific location to run automations. Yes, the built in weather does provide some, but its not as inclusive as my personal weather station, and it isn’t for my exact location. For example, I can trigger a routine to happen when it’s “rainy”, but rainy where? Somewhere in my zip code? I would rather trigger the routine only when it’s raining in my back yard. I’m currently getting around this by using a virtual switch, but it would be nice to have a weather tile that had that data all in one place.

Yes, I get it, I’m an edge case that has wants that aren’t of the typical user, but a boy can have his dreams, right?

2 Likes

I think what the person you were replying to was eluding to is that SmartThings already has weather integrations that are actionable. You can create routines on weather for your zip code for weather conditions (rainy, snowy, cloudy, clear), temperature, humidity, and severe weather alerts.

This doesn’t really help much for displaying the data on a tablet, but I think that responsibility is on the panel software, not SmartThings.

An Edge driver seems perfectly reasonable for a hub connected Personal Weather Station. I said that all along.

If the Personal Weather Station is cloud connected then a cloud connected device integration would seem to be more appropriate, not least because it is more easily achieved and doesn’t introduce a dependence on a hub and an internet connection. Similarly if the weather data comes from a cloud service and you would like to treat it like a device, wouldn’t a cloud connected device be the one to go for? I just don’t see why an Edge driver would be desirable. That was my main point. The appeal wasn’t for a replacement for legacy functionality, it was specifically for an Edge driver.

My secondary question was really over the appeal of the device model for weather. I can get it for obs from a PWS but not for historical obs and forecast data.

It was also all in a context where there were frequent requests for, and seemingly much enthusiasm for, Edge drivers that were not only not for hub connected devices, but arguably not for devices at all.

Does anyone know if the current built in weather tile will continue to exist post groovy? I am having difficulties with mine and it is updating very infrequently. Similarly to the op, I am looking for a source for weather and lux levels going forward that can be used to trigger automations in smartthings.

The old DTH weather tiles appear to be dead.

@TAustin has a Edge Driver for weather that is able to pull data from several different sources but I do not believe Lux is one of his data points. You also need a constantly running PC or RPi for it to work.

So to confirm, there is no longer a built in way for smartthings to trigger events based on light /dark levels or weather?

I find it borderline comical that this supposed smartthub has devolved to a point where it literally can no longer turn on a light when it’s dark out.

Is this not one of the most basic and fundamental functions that one would expect of a smarthome? Ie… It’s dark out. Turn on a light.

2 Likes

My understanding is that Lux was not a measured value in the old weather tiles. It was calculated number based on time of day and other things like cloud cover.

So you can write routines based on cloud cover and time of day. It takes some experimenting to get the desired results.

1 Like

@sdbg

DarkSky seemed to be one of the few sources that had a light level reading, however they are shutting down, so I had removed the field from my weather devices.

If you happen to find a source and you’d like to see it added as an option in my driver, let me know.

1 Like

Is Open Weather Home the edge driver that would also require me to have an always on PC?

Yes, that is one of @TAustin data sources as is Weather Underground plus others.

Weather Underground is neat source because it can pick up data from private weather stations in your neighborhood. But again to there is no lux data.

Thanks. It seems like the easiest option might be to just purchase a zigbee light sensor then, short of my running an always on PC just to get access to basic information that samsung has blindly removed. Sigh.

And in the long run it will probably be cheaper than always running a computer