Will Amazon Buy Wink?

Wink is in 300,000 homes, but the company is “running on fumes” and looking for a buyer. Home Depot doesn’t want the customer support costs. Best Buy reportedly passed. This week’s rumor: will Amazon buy it and rename it “Kindle Home” ?

Expect a lot of Wink questions in the forums soon if they don’t. :wink:

http://www.bizjournals.com/newyork/news/2015/07/16/quirky-ceo-says-company-broke-seeks-wink-backers.html

(ActionTiles.com co-founder Terry @ActionTiles; GitHub: @cosmicpuppy) #2

Lots of potential buyers… I’d throw Target in as a relatively high possibility too.

Pretty sure Target already passed, too, same reason as Home Depot: they’re not in the business of that kind of customer support. (Wink was up for sale officially from Feb. to April, during which time they bricked the system. Lost a lot of interest at that point.) Wink has acknowledged they lose money on every hub sold. I don’t really see it as a retailer play right now.

Amazon is a whole different business model, profits are less important to them than growth.

(Geko) #4

It would make sense and I certainly hope they will. It’s already integrated with Echo and half-open. Amazon could take it to the next level. Hardware-wise it’s a solid platform. If anyone can make a solid cloud-based platform, it’s probably Amazom. I’d bet on them 10 to 1 against Samsung.

(ActionTiles.com co-founder Terry @ActionTiles; GitHub: @cosmicpuppy) #5

Well… If the stock market reflected those odds, Amazon ought to pay $2,000,000,000.

(Geko) #6

What are you talking about? Sammy paid $200M for ST, so 10:1 would be $2B, which is less than Google paid for Nest, but considering finantial trouble Wink is in, Amazon could probably get it for $300M to $500M.

(ActionTiles.com co-founder Terry @ActionTiles; GitHub: @cosmicpuppy) #7

Oops… Quite correct … I added 1 too many zeros. I’ll fix my post.

(Christopher Masiello) #8

That’s not the craziest move I’ve ever heard. If they could straighten out the terrible software it would be good. Between the Wink line of hardware and Echo they have a pretty powerful mix. Plus they could run bundles with other products like NEST and others.