Will 3-way switches without traveler wires communicate + function when hub is down?

Does anyone know if 3-way switches without traveler wires (i.e. Linear WD500Z-1 and Linear WT00Z1) communicate + function when hub is down? I ask because not having to wire a traveler wire is attractive, but I don’t want the remote switch in the 3-way to become useless if my hub is down or offline…

(Linda Thomas-Fowler) #2

I think so but I think you need to associate them with something like a minimote. I can’t provide details, unfortunately, as I haven’t done it myself but I think what you are describing should work with the extra hardware to create the association since the hub can’t do that.

(NotoiousBDG) #3

Can’t speak about Linear switches, but the GE 3-Way switches don’t need a hub to function. The traveler wire sends the signal to the primary switch, not the hub.

(Chrisb) #4

I believe that these are “internally” associated. They are sorta paired, one to the other, and thereforeshould work. But, like Linda, I’m not 100% sure on the details on how this is done.

Looking through the manual here: http://www.zwaveproducts.com/layout/manuals/WT00Z1_manual.pdf

It appears as if the WT00Z1 acts as a secondary controller. Given this, it should operate independent of the Hub (or other Z-wave master controller). So I’m pretty sure the answer is that Yes, it will function if the Hub is down.

(Chrisb) #5

Just an FYI, the potential downside of this is that if your main switch (the WD500Z-1) is toggled on or off via the secondary switch/controller (the WT00Z1), SmartThings may or may not notice this right away. There’s some quirks in the way Z-wave devices can report status due to a stupid patent given to Lutron. Change made via a Secondary controller can sometimes take a number of minutes to report to the primary controller.

You can use the pollster app to schedule updates more regularly to mitigate the problems with this.

(Huntb) #6

Yes. I have a couple three way setups with Linear switches that work when the ST hub is down. Like Linda said, you will need to associate them with a minimote though.