Why some SmartApps may not be publishable

You bring up a lot in this post. While reading through these forums would have gained you most of these answers, I will attempt to clarify some points here.

There are lots of things coming that will help this. Aside from local processing — which will help — we will be releasing documentation and APIs for developing richer experiences not just simple “configuration SmartApps”, but solutions with rich controls and much deeper integration possibilities.

This is a good question. In general, it isn’t in SmartThings’ plans to make SmartApps/Solutions but we could see something come from the community that is so great we would want to incorporate it into the default user experience. I don’t think this is a situation unique to us.

Luckily we aren’t being pushed to be profitable yet. We have time to figure out business models. I hope that an eventual mix of hardware revenue (yes, Moore’s Law has to start kicking in faster here), subscription revenue from premium service offerings like video DVR service and more, as well as SmartApp Marketplace revenue shares will serve to bring about profitability. We’ll see. We have a much longer runway than Wink.

We have not been going that way nor will we. #OpenPlatform #LoadedQuestion #BadAssumptions

The firmware on this device was written very quickly and should be improved. In the recent weeks we have discussed open sourcing it to see what the community would do with it. Arik, Raspberry Pi, Particle support are all desired but need to move higher up in prioritization.

You must have only tuned in recently. We have a lot of varied topics, from the new UX of the mobile apps, to a Q&A with our CTO, to how to write SmartApps and Device Type Handlers, to a focus on IDE improvements, and more. The last one just happened to be all about the documentation.

We’ve had lots of discussion on V2 Hub specs both on this site and in developer discussion calls. Are there IoT companies that are more open and transparent with their platforms?

Our primary engineering center is in Minneapolis, MN. We have research teams in Seattle, Colorado, and Michigan, support teams in Tucson. For a lot of reasons it makes sense to be in the Bay area but we are by no means singularly focused here.

4 Likes